    Would anyone know if it is going to be anamorphically enhanced, as it
    is for instance in Region 4? If it isn't, I'll probably buy the Region
    Four instead.

    anthony, Nov 18, 2003

  2. anthony

    anthony Guest

    I meant of course 'The New Adventures' !

    anthony, Nov 18, 2003

  3. anthony

    Java Jive Guest

    Re: Hornblower: The Adventure Continues - Slightly OT reply

    It's not exactly what you're asking, but I would be interested to know if
    there is anyone else out there who like myself was raised on the books -
    where of course, like radio, the picture is so much better - and who gave
    up watching after the first couple of episodes because the adaptation was so
    crap? CTTOI, so was the film starring Gregory Peck.

    If you haven't already discovered them, I recommend the original books by C
    S Forester, they're really so much better, not to mention cheaper ... and
    btw if you want to know where the concept for the Sharpe series may have
    originated, read "Death To The French" by the same author.

    Java Jive, Nov 19, 2003
  4. anthony

    anthony Guest

    Re: Hornblower: The Adventure Continues - Slightly OT reply

    Hi there
    Yes, I asked the Q about the Hornblower series -- both my wife and I
    find the series v. entertaining, but you're quite right that they're
    not the books!
    I started reading the Hornblower books when I was about 10, still own
    them all, and a few interesting adjuncts such as Forrester's 'The
    Hornblower Companion'. And of course his 'The African Queen'.
    Lately I've been reading the terrific Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin
    cycle of novels by Patrick O'Brien -- I've just been re-reading those,
    and am on the final one right now -- 'Blue at the Mizzen'.
    They're rightly acclaimed, but I've got to admit that Hornblower stays
    my favourite. Of the novels, I guess 'Lieutenant Hornblower is my
    absolute favourite.
    Pity about the movie with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayonnaise -- how
    could they get it so wrong and totally boring!
    Cheers

    anthony, Nov 19, 2003
  5. anthony

    Java Jive Guest

    Re: Hornblower: The Adventure Continues - Slightly OT reply

    We were being read 'Mr Midshipman Hornblower', one installment per week, in
    English class in school - old-fashioned boarding school with all the little
    good and much bad that that entails, this being part of the good. I too
    would have been about ten at the time. After about three or four weeks I
    just couldn't wait 'til next week, and got the book out of the library.
    Never used to read much before that, but never looked back afterwards. Read
    them all, including the one he never quite finished which I chose when I
    won a Maths Prize, 'Hornblower And The Hotspur'. Think my favourite is
    probably either the 'The Happy Return' or 'Flying Colours'.

    Then went on to G A Henty and Nevil Shute, both equally good.

    Sadly, I think most of my C S Forrester rotted away when I lived in a very
    damp house for a while, though I inherited my step-father's the complete
    works of Nevil Shute when my mother died, including one, just one, I hadn't
    previously discovered. Saving it up for a rainy day.

    I'm glad you've discovered the books too.

    Regards

    Java Jive, Nov 20, 2003
  6. anthony

    Invid Fan Guest

    Re: Hornblower: The Adventure Continues - Slightly OT reply

    In article <3fbacda3$0$64733$>, Java Jive
    <> wrote:

    > It's not exactly what you're asking, but I would be interested to know if
    > there is anyone else out there who like myself was raised on the books -
    > where of course, like radio, the picture is so much better - and who gave
    > up watching after the first couple of episodes because the adaptation was so
    > crap? CTTOI, so was the film starring Gregory Peck.

    My father loved the books... in fact, his last request was for me to
    get a copy of one from the library the day before he died (for some
    reason he never bought books, prefering to pay the library late fees
    ^_^). Having seen Master and Commander today, I'm in the mood to buy
    the Hornblower novels as I haven't read them in 20 years. Are there no
    recent, good, hardcover releases? All I see in stores and online are a
    line of softcovers from the mid-80's. Looks good, but in memory of dad
    nice hardcovered editions would be better...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Nov 20, 2003
  7. anthony

    anthony Guest

    Re: Hornblower: The Adventure Continues - Slightly OT reply

    Most of my Hornblower novels are old hardcovers from the 1930s, 40s
    and 50s which I managed to pick up secondhand along the way....
    I guess the only quick check would be to try Amazon.co.uk and com, and
    maybe Barnes and Noble -- there were fairly recently very good
    hardcover compendium collections with 2 or 3 novels per edition. One
    was called 'Captain Hornblower RN'. They would be pretty cheap online,
    and might be worth chasing that way.
    Down here in Australia the pool of secondhand books isn't as great as
    in the UK or US; I use http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/ a lot; it
    leads to some great results.
    cheers, Anthony

    anthony, Nov 20, 2003
  8. anthony

    Bustm Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > Pity about the movie with Gregory Peck and Virginia Mayonnaise -- how
    > could they get it so wrong and totally boring!

    The movie had one virtue: after watching it when it was first broadcast on
    TV, I was informed by my father that the film was based on a series of
    novels. I ended up reading them all. It led me to seek out other
    Napoleonic era nautical novels such as those by Kent and others, but my
    favorites are the O'Brien novels.

    Bustm, Nov 21, 2003
  9. anthony

    tireddad Guest

    That's a good question. Honestly, I'm not sure, but you may find that
    info on the website: http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/horatio_hornblower/

    I actually just found out that they're adding the next two
    installments--first since spring of 2001 I'd guess. Its an excellent
    series and I'm actually preorering the DVD's. I already have the 2nd
    and the 3rd of december on my tivo set to record.

    tireddad, Nov 24, 2003
  10. anthony

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Nov 24, 2003