    when I print any picture i get 3 horizontal lines every half inch of
    the photo. I preform a head cleaning and it look pretty good.
    , Nov 14, 2006

  2. frederick Guest

    wrote:
    > when I print any picture i get 3 horizontal lines every half inch of
    > the photo. I preform a head cleaning and it look pretty good.

    Do you mean that the pattern printed by a head cleaning operation looks
    good - or that after head cleaning the problem with horizontal lines is
    improved?
    Check that your paper type selection and quality setting is correct.
    If you can run a nozzle check, then a single blocked nozzle should show
    as a missing segment of a test pattern. But one blocked nozzle might
    not show up as a consistent line across the print, as it will be only
    affecting one colour.
    Horizontal lines might also be a result of head alignment, so check that
    and adjust if required.
    If that doesn't solve the problem (so head alignment and nozzle blockage
    is eliminated) then it could be a paper feed problem - possibly due to
    dirt or ink buildup on paper feed rollers.
    Some printers also have high-speed modes (the print head deposits ink in
    both directions as the carriage moves from side to side). This can
    sometimes result in banding, and can usually be toggled off in the driver.
    frederick, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> when I print any picture i get 3 horizontal lines every half inch of
    >> the photo. I preform a head cleaning and it look pretty good.
    >>

    > Do you mean that the pattern printed by a head cleaning operation looks
    > good - or that after head cleaning the problem with horizontal lines is
    > improved?
    > Check that your paper type selection and quality setting is correct.
    > If you can run a nozzle check, then a single blocked nozzle should show
    > as a missing segment of a test pattern. But one blocked nozzle might
    > not show up as a consistent line across the print, as it will be only
    > affecting one colour.
    > Horizontal lines might also be a result of head alignment, so check that
    > and adjust if required.
    > If that doesn't solve the problem (so head alignment and nozzle blockage
    > is eliminated) then it could be a paper feed problem - possibly due to
    > dirt or ink buildup on paper feed rollers.
    > Some printers also have high-speed modes (the print head deposits ink in
    > both directions as the carriage moves from side to side). This can
    > sometimes result in banding, and can usually be toggled off in the driver.

    That's why I threw out (well gave away) my color printer and use either
    on-line processing or Kodak Kiosk. Admittedly, it was probably the worst
    choice of printer available.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 14, 2006
  4. frederick Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> when I print any picture i get 3 horizontal lines every half inch of
    >>> the photo. I preform a head cleaning and it look pretty good.
    >>>

    >> Do you mean that the pattern printed by a head cleaning operation
    >> looks good - or that after head cleaning the problem with horizontal
    >> lines is improved?
    >> Check that your paper type selection and quality setting is correct.
    >> If you can run a nozzle check, then a single blocked nozzle should
    >> show as a missing segment of a test pattern. But one blocked nozzle
    >> might not show up as a consistent line across the print, as it will be
    >> only affecting one colour.
    >> Horizontal lines might also be a result of head alignment, so check
    >> that and adjust if required.
    >> If that doesn't solve the problem (so head alignment and nozzle
    >> blockage is eliminated) then it could be a paper feed problem -
    >> possibly due to dirt or ink buildup on paper feed rollers.
    >> Some printers also have high-speed modes (the print head deposits ink
    >> in both directions as the carriage moves from side to side). This can
    >> sometimes result in banding, and can usually be toggled off in the
    >> driver.

    > That's why I threw out (well gave away) my color printer and use either
    > on-line processing or Kodak Kiosk. Admittedly, it was probably the worst
    > choice of printer available.
    > Dave Cohen

    Some of the newer printers from Epson, Canon, and HP are much more
    reliable than in the past. I have an Epson R1800, and have had no
    problems in 18 months use with blockages or banding etc.
    What really sucks is the ink price.
    While I can churn out large prints (13x19) at less than half the cost of
    a lab, and after some experience with colour management, at consistently
    better quality, for small prints cheap online services are around half
    the cost of the R1800.
    frederick, Nov 14, 2006
  5. m Ransley Guest

    My Canon does that if I pick the wrong paper setting, try paper made by
    the company that made the printer and the proper settings.
    m Ransley, Nov 14, 2006