    a scene. What causes this and why is it necessary?

    Thanks,
    Roger

    Roger Hammonds, Oct 7, 2006

  2. [This followup was posted to rec.video.dvd.tech and a copy was sent to
    the cited author.]

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've noticed with a lot of my classic cartoon dvd's there're horizontal
    > black lines visible whenever there's a lot of assumed "movement" within
    > a scene. What causes this and why is it necessary?

    What DVD's? What DVD player. What mode is the DVD player using
    (progressive, interlaced, upconvert to HD?) It could be a 3:2 pulldown
    correction issue. If the DVD material is not encoded for that, but the
    player and/or TV is trying to do the correction, you can get brief
    flashes of lines during certain movements or scene changes.

    Info about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross