Horizontal Line in Microsoft Word Document

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dwacon, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    We have a document with a footer that has a horizontal line in it. We can
    select the line to drag it (not that it will go anywhere) but we need to
    delete it (or, at least, change the line color to white).

    Nothing in Microsoft help addresses it.

    To make matters worse, we created a new document and cut and paste the text
    into the new doc and the footer reappears. D-OHH !!!

    Any ideas?

    Let me rephrase...

    Any serious ideas?

    --
    I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
    http://www.dwacon.com

    dwacon, Jan 1, 2005

  2. dwacon

    Noel Paton Guest

    Sounds like it may be in the default template - try renaming Normal.dot
    files found on a Search (which version of Word?)

    If that doesn't work, then try posting your query to this newsgroup
    microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
    (about the best fit for your problem I can see)

    and have a look around inside here, also!
    http://word.mvps.org/

    HTH
    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

    Noel Paton, Jan 1, 2005

  3. dwacon

    Bud Light Guest

    View/Header and Footer....go and delete the line.

    Bud Light, Jan 1, 2005
  4. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > View/Header and Footer....go and delete the line.

    Tried that -- didn't work.

    The best workaround was to create another line... this one thicker and
    colored white... and position it above the other line. A Rube Goldberg,
    natch, but it'll do.

    Thanks.

    dwacon, Jan 1, 2005
  5. dwacon wrote:

    > We have a document with a footer that has a horizontal line in it. We can
    > select the line to drag it (not that it will go anywhere) but we need to
    > delete it (or, at least, change the line color to white).

    > Nothing in Microsoft help addresses it.

    > To make matters worse, we created a new document and cut and paste the text
    > into the new doc and the footer reappears. D-OHH !!!

    I've seen that same thing in Office, and it's awfully frustrating. That's a
    small consolation, I know. :)

    > Any ideas?

    Sure. I can tell you what I did.

    > Let me rephrase...

    > Any serious ideas?

    I moved to Open Office.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2005
  6. On 31 Dec 2004, Blinky the Shark scribbled in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > dwacon wrote:

    snip

    > I've seen that same thing in Office, and it's awfully frustrating.
    > That's a small consolation, I know. :)
    >
    >> Any ideas?

    > Sure. I can tell you what I did.
    >
    >> Let me rephrase...

    >> Any serious ideas?

    > I moved to Open Office.

    I've been using OO for about 3-4 years now. Won't go back to M$ Office,
    I'll tell ya that.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I typed the word Google into Google.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 1, 2005
  7. dwacon

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:00:11 -0600, The Old Sourdough <sameas@above> wrote:

    >On 31 Dec 2004, Blinky the Shark scribbled in
    >24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> dwacon wrote:
    >>

    >snip
    >
    >> I've seen that same thing in Office, and it's awfully frustrating.
    >> That's a small consolation, I know. :)
    >>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Sure. I can tell you what I did.
    >>
    >>> Let me rephrase...

    >>> Any serious ideas?

    >> I moved to Open Office.
    >>

    >I've been using OO for about 3-4 years now. Won't go back to M$ Office,
    >I'll tell ya that.

    Same here. Excellent program.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jan 1, 2005
  8. dwacon

    D. Thompson Guest

    "dwacon" <> wrote in message
    > We have a document with a footer that has a horizontal line in it. We can
    > select the line to drag it (not that it will go anywhere) but we need to
    > delete it (or, at least, change the line color to white).
    >
    > Nothing in Microsoft help addresses it.
    >
    > To make matters worse, we created a new document and cut and paste the

    text
    > into the new doc and the footer reappears. D-OHH !!!
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Let me rephrase...
    >
    > Any serious ideas?
    >

    > --
    > I made magic once. Now the sofa is gone.
    > http://www.dwacon.com

    Last time I ran across this sort of thing it turned out to be a page
    border... with just the bottom selected.

    D. Thompson, Jan 1, 2005
  9. dwacon

    Cabana Dan

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Annoying line problem resolved

    I found how to remove this aggravating horizontal line. Go into the footer, click on the last line of the footer (use show/hide to see the paragraph marks); then in the "Home" tab of Word 2007, click on the outline button under "paragraph" and make it no border.

    Hope that helps--it's really frustrating.

    Cabana Dan, Dec 23, 2011