    cheers
    and sorry again if im in the wrong group

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Krazy Bob

    Philip Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > Hey guys, i not too sure if this is 100% computer related, it certainly
    > computer related to some extent, and im sorry if im posting in wrong group.
    >
    > I've just ordered some high performance ram off techbuys.com.au it saves me
    > $150 getting it sent here than buying it in a store in auckland.
    >
    > They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment option
    > sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate that if
    > customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that, does anybody
    > have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does how about i
    > would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs website but it
    > confuses me.
    >
    > if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated
    >
    > cheers
    > and sorry again if im in the wrong group
    >
    > KB

    Usually you can import goods worth up to $400 free of GST. That might
    include the cost of shipping as well, though. So if the total invoice
    value is $399 or less you should be alright.

    Probably.

    Philip
    Philip, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> Hey guys, i not too sure if this is 100% computer related, it certainly
    >> computer related to some extent, and im sorry if im posting in wrong
    >> group.
    >>
    >> I've just ordered some high performance ram off techbuys.com.au it saves
    >> me $150 getting it sent here than buying it in a store in auckland.
    >>
    >> They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment
    >> option sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate
    >> that if customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that,
    >> does anybody have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does
    >> how about i would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs
    >> website but it confuses me.
    >>
    >> if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> and sorry again if im in the wrong group
    >>
    >> KB

    > Usually you can import goods worth up to $400 free of GST. That might
    > include the cost of shipping as well, though. So if the total invoice
    > value is $399 or less you should be alright.
    >
    > Probably.
    >
    > Philip

    Crap its $425.55 AUD or $475 NZD.
    But then again how would they know the price of the package?

    argh....i do have the option of cancelling but really don't want to have to
    pay $600 for it in nz stores.

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  4. >> They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment
    >> option sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate
    >> that if customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that,
    >> does anybody have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does
    >> how about i would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs
    >> website but it confuses me.
    >>
    >> if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated

    They will contact you (Customs) and after you have paid the GST for the
    goods, they will let you have it.
    I presume you never knew you had to pay GST for the goods coming into NZ? So
    the Saving of $150 was really $150?

    So if the RAM was worth $1000NZ you would have to pay $125 to Customs before
    you get it, so your $150 savings is now only $25.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 27, 2006
  5. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >>> They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment
    >>> option sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate
    >>> that if customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that,
    >>> does anybody have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does
    >>> how about i would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs
    >>> website but it confuses me.
    >>>
    >>> if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated

    > They will contact you (Customs) and after you have paid the GST for the
    > goods, they will let you have it.
    > I presume you never knew you had to pay GST for the goods coming into NZ?
    > So the Saving of $150 was really $150?
    >
    > So if the RAM was worth $1000NZ you would have to pay $125 to Customs
    > before you get it, so your $150 savings is now only $25.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    *lol*
    i had some idea, hence why i asking for clarification.
    just wanted to be 100% positive.

    cheers
    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  6. >
    > Crap its $425.55 AUD or $475 NZD.
    > But then again how would they know the price of the package?

    As they have declare on the package when sending overseas how much it is
    worth.

    What are you attempting to buy? are you sure there is no place cheaper in NZ
    to get it from?

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 27, 2006
  7. Krazy Bob

    >> Crap its $425.55 AUD or $475 NZD.
    >> But then again how would they know the price of the package?
    >>

    > As they have declare on the package when sending overseas how much it is
    > worth.
    >
    > What are you attempting to buy?

    Corsair 2x1GB PC4000PT Ram sticks, Computer lounge in auckland has them for
    $601. And a mate of mine in sydney directed me to this aussie site and on
    there its $417 AUD.

    Ive done a pricespy search, and a google search and a trade me search and
    looks like computer lounge is the only place that sells them and also the
    cheapest too then :-( oh well.

    have to think now weather or not its worth spending $601 on it.

    Cheers for your help craig

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  8. Krazy Bob

    Rufus Goetz Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:48:43 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:

    > "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Crap its $425.55 AUD or $475 NZD.
    >>> But then again how would they know the price of the package?
    >>>

    >> As they have declare on the package when sending overseas how much it is
    >> worth.
    >>
    >> What are you attempting to buy?

    > Corsair 2x1GB PC4000PT Ram sticks [...]

    E-mail the supplier and ask to have the sticks sent in two separate
    packages with the customs label on each declaring half the total cost.

    --
    R A G
    Rufus Goetz, Jan 27, 2006
  9. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Rufus Goetz" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:48:43 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
    >
    >> "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    >>> As they have declare on the package when sending overseas how much it is
    >>> worth.
    >>>
    >>> What are you attempting to buy?

    >> Corsair 2x1GB PC4000PT Ram sticks [...]

    > E-mail the supplier and ask to have the sticks sent in two separate
    > packages with the customs label on each declaring half the total cost.
    >
    > --
    > R A G

    thats an idea, but i would assume for insurance reasons they would not do
    this. but i just emailed the supplier saying i would not like to confirm my
    order. Too many hassles to save roughly $50-60 bucks, and no to mention 3
    weeks waiting time for funds to clear then p & p.

    cheers
    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  10. Krazy Bob

    Steve Guest

    www.pp.co.nz
    type in 4000PT into the search window and they list some for $475
    is that the same stuff?

    Steve, Jan 27, 2006
  11. On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:45:44 +1300, "Krazy Bob" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey guys, i not too sure if this is 100% computer related, it certainly
    >computer related to some extent, and im sorry if im posting in wrong group.
    >
    >I've just ordered some high performance ram off techbuys.com.au it saves me
    >$150 getting it sent here than buying it in a store in auckland.
    >
    >They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment option
    >sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate that if
    >customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that, does anybody
    >have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does how about i
    >would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs website but it
    >confuses me.
    >
    >if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated
    >
    >cheers
    >and sorry again if im in the wrong group
    >
    >KB

    If the total NZ$ cost of the package, including shipping and
    insurance, is over a certain limit (NZ$400 IIRC), then GST is payable
    on arrival in NZ.

    It the package is arriving by courier, then the courier company will
    handle customs for you and they will contact you when the package
    arrives. It works best if the package has your phone number on it -
    then they can just ring you and you give them your credit card details
    and they charge the GST that way. Then they can deliver the same day
    the parcel arrives, or at the very least the next day. Otherwise,
    they will post you a notice.

    With postal delivery, sometimes you get lucky and they miss charging
    you the GST when it goes over the limit. Otherwise, customs sends you
    a notice and you have to physically go in to Customs Parcels and fill
    in an Entry form and pay the GST and pick up the parcel. Or at least
    that is what happened the last time I did this, which was probably
    over 5 years ago.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 27, 2006
  12. Krazy Bob

    thingy Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:45:44 +1300, "Krazy Bob" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hey guys, i not too sure if this is 100% computer related, it certainly
    >>computer related to some extent, and im sorry if im posting in wrong group.
    >>
    >>I've just ordered some high performance ram off techbuys.com.au it saves me
    >>$150 getting it sent here than buying it in a store in auckland.
    >>
    >>They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment option
    >>sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate that if
    >>customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that, does anybody
    >>have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does how about i
    >>would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs website but it
    >>confuses me.
    >>
    >>if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated
    >>
    >>cheers
    >>and sorry again if im in the wrong group
    >>
    >>KB
    >>

    > If the total NZ$ cost of the package, including shipping and
    > insurance, is over a certain limit (NZ$400 IIRC), then GST is payable
    > on arrival in NZ.
    >
    > It the package is arriving by courier, then the courier company will
    > handle customs for you and they will contact you when the package
    > arrives. It works best if the package has your phone number on it -
    > then they can just ring you and you give them your credit card details
    > and they charge the GST that way. Then they can deliver the same day
    > the parcel arrives, or at the very least the next day. Otherwise,
    > they will post you a notice.
    >
    > With postal delivery, sometimes you get lucky and they miss charging
    > you the GST when it goes over the limit. Otherwise, customs sends you
    > a notice and you have to physically go in to Customs Parcels and fill
    > in an Entry form and pay the GST and pick up the parcel. Or at least
    > that is what happened the last time I did this, which was probably
    > over 5 years ago.

    I used to get stuff off ebay at less than <$400.

    Customs must note your address because after a few items it was being
    stopped and I was getting charged on stuff < $150 so I stopped. By the
    time I added postage and GST it was horrendious, I just gave up....

    I even had one customs officer want me to go through an import agent ie
    pay a % to him/her as well as GST/duty all this for second hand stuff!

    They did usually allow me to pay via VISA though over the
    phone....rather than go to Auckland...or an agent....painful....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 27, 2006
  13. Krazy Bob

    Barry Lennox Guest

    wrote:

    >Hey guys, i not too sure if this is 100% computer related, it certainly
    >computer related to some extent, and im sorry if im posting in wrong group.
    >
    >I've just ordered some high performance ram off techbuys.com.au it saves me
    >$150 getting it sent here than buying it in a store in auckland.
    >
    >They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment option
    >sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate that if
    >customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that, does anybody
    >have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does how about i
    >would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs website but it
    >confuses me.
    >
    >if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated

    The general rule is that if the GST to be collected on the *whole
    value* (goods, insurance and freight) is less than $50, they don't
    collect it. Above that figure, you are the lap of the customs gods,
    sometimes they collect, sometimes they don't. It seems to depend, to
    some extent, on how often you bring goods in.

    Don't worry about the payment details, they will send you a note,
    explaining what you must do. If not, the goods turn up in yr
    letterbox, go and buy a Lotto ticket as well !
    Barry Lennox, Jan 27, 2006
  14. Krazy Bob

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > I even had one customs officer want me to go through an import agent ie
    > pay a % to him/her as well as GST/duty all this for second hand stuff!
    >
    > They did usually allow me to pay via VISA though over the
    > phone....rather than go to Auckland...or an agent....painful....

    They appear to have tightened up on this lately. I was told "we'll
    handle one dutiable parcel a year for you, after that you'll need a
    customs agent".

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jan 27, 2006
  15. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > www.pp.co.nz
    > type in 4000PT into the search window and they list some for $475
    > is that the same stuff?

    cheers, just have to email them to confirm pricing because they said its an
    unlisted product and may not have any in stock

    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  16. Krazy Bob

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hey guys, i not too sure if this is 100% computer related, it certainly
    > computer related to some extent, and im sorry if im posting in wrong
    > group.
    >
    > I've just ordered some high performance ram off techbuys.com.au it saves
    > me $150 getting it sent here than buying it in a store in auckland.
    >
    > They have confirmed my order and are awaiting payment, i have payment
    > option sorted and the ammount sorted, but i was told from another mate
    > that if customs catches my package they will charge GST on top of that,
    > does anybody have an idea of what goes on if that happens and if it does
    > how about i would go about paying it, i've had a look at the customs
    > website but it confuses me.
    >
    > if anybody can clear this up for me it be greately apperciated
    >
    > cheers
    > and sorry again if im in the wrong group
    >
    > KB

    Cheers to all who have posted :)
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006