    think i will not one by one look at these pics and resize them by hand....!

    Tips?

    Hans

    ano, Jan 3, 2004

  2. ano

    ClickEye Guest

    ClickEye, Jan 3, 2004

  3. I think Thumbs plus 2000 can do this (and create a slideshow in an exe
    file). (www.cerious.com)

    It's cheap not free, but you can get a free test drive. I don't know if the
    test version is restricted in a way that prohibits your task.

    OTOH, Thumbs plus 2000 is very good as a picture archive database with
    decent search facilities. So I suppose it's a valuable investment for a
    museum.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, Jan 3, 2004
  4. ano

    Canopus Guest

    "ano" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This is for a slideshow with a pc in a small museum. No fancy budgets.
    >
    > I need to resize over 2500 existing jpg images to fit best on a 800x600
    > screen. So I think they have to become aprox. either maximum 775 in width

    or
    > maximum 575 in height. But they have to stay as big as possible!
    >
    > Is there a freeware prog that can automatically 'see' that a picture is to
    > large in widht or in height or both and reduce it to best fit my sizes? I
    > think i will not one by one look at these pics and resize them by

    hand....!

    > Tips?
    >
    > Hans

    I think you may have a problem as some pictures will be portrait and some
    landscape so you won't be able to crop them to the same dimensions. However
    you could first manually select *all* the landscape orientated ones and use
    the batch process resize in the free Irfanview viewer/editor
    http://www.irfanview.com/ and then do the same for portrait orientated ones.

    Some File directory software such as Directory Opus have the ability to be
    customized to the extent that you can display picture size along with File
    Name etc., which means that the picture size column can be clicked on to
    sort all pictures according to dimension. Handy for the above, but, costs a
    little.

    Rob

    Canopus, Jan 3, 2004
  5. ano

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi!

    >>I need to resize over 2500 existing jpg images to fit best on a 800x600
    >>screen. So I think they have to become aprox. either maximum 775 in width >>

    maximum 575 in height.

    the dimensions are a little tight if you want to use a WEB-Browser, but
    you probably tried this out before?

    > I think you may have a problem as some pictures will be portrait and some
    > landscape...

    I hope the respective too will be able to say no bigger than XXX pixles
    wide and no bigger than YYY pixles high. In this case, this is no issue.
    Otherwise this sounds like *a lot of* work.

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Jan 4, 2004
  6. ano

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:52:31 +0100, "ano" <> wrote:

    >This is for a slideshow with a pc in a small museum. No fancy budgets.
    >
    >I need to resize over 2500 existing jpg images to fit best on a 800x600
    >screen. So I think they have to become aprox. either maximum 775 in width or
    >maximum 575 in height. But they have to stay as big as possible!
    >
    >Is there a freeware prog that can automatically 'see' that a picture is to
    >large in widht or in height or both and reduce it to best fit my sizes? I
    >think i will not one by one look at these pics and resize them by hand....!

    There are quite a few freeware and shareware programs that will batch
    resize images. You tell the program what folder the source images are
    in, and what folder you want the resized images put in, and if you
    want the filename changed, etc. As long as all your source images are
    "right side up", it won't matter if they are in portrait or landscape
    format. Resizing programs will usually either reduce the image until
    it fits within the size parameters, or will pad the remaining area
    with a default color (e.g black), as long as you make sure to use the
    "constrain proportions" setting. Obviously you want to test with a
    few images first, and always save the new images to a different folder
    so that you can always go back to your source files.

    You say you want the images to fit best on 800x600 screen. You can
    probably resize the monitor to use a finer resolution which will then
    let you have more detailed images on the screen. So be sure what
    screen resolution you want first. Then, I'm using a freeware program
    called WinPix that does slideshows, screen savers, and can also change
    the image on my desktop on a periodic basis. In all 3 modes, it goes
    "full screen", so I size my images for the full screen setting of my
    monitor when I want to use them with WinPix.

    jc

    JC Dill, Jan 4, 2004