    monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
    special setting I would need?

    Mel
    MB_, Apr 24, 2006

  2. MB_

    Duane Arnold Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
    >
    > We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
    > Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
    >
    > My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor.

    There is plug on the back of the laptop you take the cable from the
    monitor and plug it in to it, just like you do on a desktop computer.

    > What kind of
    > cable would I need??

    None
    > Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH the
    > laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the laptop
    > screen?

    You close the lid on the laptop.

    > Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up the
    > monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
    > special setting I would need?

    No, the screen may not be as good in picture quality as opposed to you
    having a desktop machine that had graphics card in it or the LCD/monitor
    portion of the laptop. But you'll be able to see it.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006

  3. MB_

    JANA Guest

    On the back of the laptop, there should be a connector that is for a VGA
    type monitor. The LCD TV you bought must have the VGA input option. You will
    need the optional VGA cable that would go between the TV set and the laptop.
    See your dealer, or get in touch with the manufacture of the LCD TV for that
    option.

    If the above complies, then you must set the laptop's resolution to the
    required native mode for the LCD TV. You must refer to the instructions that
    came with the laptop. If the native resolution for the LCD TV set is out of
    range for the laptop's display capability, then you will not be able to have
    the optimum resolution on the LCD TV.

    To activate the external connector on the back of the laptop, there should
    be a function key for this. See the owner's manual for the laptop.

    Don't expect the LCD TV to have the same quality as a dedicated LCD computer
    monitor. If you decide to buy a dedicated computer monitor, make sure that
    it is a model that can have the same native resolution mode that is
    recommended for the laptop.

    If your LCD TV does not have a VGA input, see if your laptop has a
    compatible component video output, of either S-Video, or standard baseband
    video. If so, the LCD TV must have a matched input capability. Most all LCD
    TV sets have baseband, and or S-Video inputs. The picture quality using this
    type of video coupling is going to be much less than the VGA type coupling.

    If the laptop has only an external VGA output, and the LCD TV does not have
    this type of input, but has a baseband input, you can buy a conversion box
    that can go from VGA to baseband video. The quality, within limits, will go
    up, according to the price you want to pay for such a converter. In any
    case, it will never be as good as a dedicated VGA coupling, using a
    dedicated VGA computer monitor, and using the native mode for the monitor.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "MB_" <> wrote in message

    I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.

    We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
    Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.

    My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What kind of
    cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH the

    JANA, Apr 24, 2006
  4. MB_

    JANA Guest

    Question:
    If he closes the lid of the laptop, how is he supposed to operate the
    keyboard to access it?
    If he needs no cable between the laptop and the LCD TV, how is he supposed
    to connect between the two units?

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:HmX2g.8214$...

    JANA, Apr 24, 2006
  5. MB_

    Duane Arnold Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > Question:
    > If he closes the lid of the laptop, how is he supposed to operate the
    > keyboard to access it?
    > If he needs no cable between the laptop and the LCD TV, how is he supposed
    > to connect between the two units?

    You're correct in that sense. I have always had an external keyboard and
    mouse hooked up too.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006
  6. MB_

    Dan Evans Guest

    "MB_" <> wrote in message

    > I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
    >
    > We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
    > Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
    >
    > My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What kind
    > of cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on BOTH
    > the laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken the
    > laptop screen?
    >
    > Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up the
    > monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there any
    > special setting I would need?

    Did you even *consider* opening the instruction book?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 24, 2006
  7. MB_

    dogsBollix Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in

    > "MB_" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I have an Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook.
    >>
    >> We recently were looking for a small, lightweight TV and bought a 17"
    >> Magnavox flat screen. But it is actually an LCD/Monitor.
    >>
    >> My question then: Can I hook my Inspiron 2200 to this monitor. What
    >> kind of cable would I need?? Also, if I do this, will the picture be on
    >> BOTH the laptop screen AND the monitor. If so, is there a way to darken
    >> the laptop screen?
    >>
    >> Finally, my Inspiron came with a DVD player. I assume if I can hook up
    >> the monitor I can play DVD's with the picture on the monitor. Is there
    >> any special setting I would need?

    > Did you even *consider* opening the instruction book?
    >
    > Dan

    now where's the fun in that ? :)

    dB
    dogsBollix, Apr 24, 2006
  8. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Thanks for your responses. Looking at the back of my Inspiron, I see there
    is a port that according to the "manual" is a video port (there are 3 USB
    ports, a network port, a modem port and then this port).

    On my monitor, there is a port entitled VGA that looks the same. So I assume
    the cable I need would look the same at both ends (I assume that would be a
    VGA cable??).

    Another question: would this just send the video and not the sound?? Would
    the sound just come out of my Inspiron speakers or would the TV/LCD be
    emitting the sound?

    Mel

    MB_, Apr 24, 2006
  9. MB_

    Duane Arnold Guest

    MB_ wrote:
    > Thanks for your responses. Looking at the back of my Inspiron, I see there
    > is a port that according to the "manual" is a video port (there are 3 USB
    > ports, a network port, a modem port and then this port).
    >
    > On my monitor, there is a port entitled VGA that looks the same. So I assume
    > the cable I need would look the same at both ends (I assume that would be a
    > VGA cable??).

    There is only going to be one plug on the back of the laptop for a
    monitor. One size fits all. The monitor should have come with that
    cable. If all else fails call the monitor's manufacturer and let them
    tell you what you need.

    > Another question: would this just send the video and not the sound?? Would
    > the sound just come out of my Inspiron speakers or would the TV/LCD be
    > emitting the sound?

    Your laptop may have a sound plug that you can plug the LCD monitor that
    has speakers into it.

    Other than that, the sound is coming from whatever speaker are on the
    laptop. Hopefully, it's a stereo speakered laptop.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006