    install and works great. My question is can I hook any printer to the USB on
    the router and will it work or do I need a adapter besides a Printer to USB
    cable?
    Michael Boyes, Jun 27, 2007

  2. John Thomas Smith, Jun 27, 2007

  3. Michael Boyes

    Lem Guest

    Michael Boyes wrote:
    > I am new to wireless have a Motorola wireless cable modem that was easy
    > to install and works great. My question is can I hook any printer to the
    > USB on the router and will it work or do I need a adapter besides a
    > Printer to USB cable?

    You don't say which Motorola wireless cable modem you have, but the
    answer is almost certainly that you can NOT just connect "any printer"
    to the USB jack on the router.

    The USB port on the Motorola cable modem/routers with which I'm familiar
    acts as a network interface. In order to connect a printer to a network
    interface (USB or Ethernet), the printer must have its own network
    interface, either built-in (so-called "network-ready" printers) or a
    separate device (wired or wireless "print server").

    If you consider that when you are installing a USB printer to a
    computer, you have to install the USB driver on the computer, you'll
    realize that there is no way to install the printer's USB driver on your
    cable modem.

    You can connect your printer to a computer that in turn connects to your
    cable modem/router and share the printer with other computers connected
    to the cable modem/router. The drawback of this arrangement is that the
    computer to which the printer is connected must be powered on in order
    for the printer to be accessed by other networked computers.

    Most of the usual wifi vendors sell print server devices. Depending on
    the model, there may be a USB printer port, a parallel printer port, or
    some combination of these. Some multi-function "printers" will not
    perform all of their functions when used with print servers, so if you
    have one of these devices, some specific research is indicated.

    Depending on your printing needs and budget, you may want to buy a
    printer that has built-in network capability. I've had very good
    experience with an earlier version of the hp 6980
    http://tinyurl.com/ykwscj which has both wired and wireless network
    interfaces built-in.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking