Hooking up a Compaq UPS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mikester71, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    I got an old Compaq T1000 UPS from work last week and have decided to
    hook my system at home to it. I have always wanted to get one for home
    because our power frequently flicks on/off, especially during the
    summer stormy season. I have two questions regarding the use of a UPS.

    First off, I cannot find a manual for the T1000 anywhere online (and
    yes, I googled my arse off trying to find anything to do with the
    T1000.) Seeings how I basically rescued it from the trash at work, I
    did not get any documentation with it. What I would like to know is how
    do I get my system to recognize that it is attached to a UPS? If I look
    under Performance & Maintenance in WinXP, it doesn't show one as being
    attached under the UPS tab in Power Options. It won't let me add mine
    either.

    Secondly, what all needs to be plugged in coming from the back of the
    UPS? I have the unit obviously plugged in to an outlet, but I noticed a
    COM port (or something like that) also on the back. Does that have to
    be plugged into the computer (it is running okay without it plugged
    into to anything right now)? I tried just plugging an adapter into the
    port and the fan on the UPS kicked on right away, so I unplugged it
    immediately.

    Any help would be greatly apppreciated on this matter. Sorry for
    seeming totally clueless on this subject, but I am new to using a UPS
    and am having great difficulty tracking down anything on my Compaq
    T1000. I also realize that it is probably a discontinued product, hence
    the lack of documentation available.

    Thanks again,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Mikester71

    Unk Guest

    On 21 Nov 2005 23:24:03 -0800, "Mikester71" <> wrote:

    >I got an old Compaq T1000 UPS from work last week and have decided to
    >hook my system at home to it. I have always wanted to get one for home
    >because our power frequently flicks on/off, especially during the
    >summer stormy season. I have two questions regarding the use of a UPS.
    >
    >First off, I cannot find a manual for the T1000 anywhere online (and
    >yes, I googled my arse off trying to find anything to do with the
    >T1000.) Seeings how I basically rescued it from the trash at work, I
    >did not get any documentation with it. What I would like to know is how
    >do I get my system to recognize that it is attached to a UPS? If I look
    >under Performance & Maintenance in WinXP, it doesn't show one as being
    >attached under the UPS tab in Power Options. It won't let me add mine
    >either.
    >
    >Secondly, what all needs to be plugged in coming from the back of the
    >UPS? I have the unit obviously plugged in to an outlet, but I noticed a
    >COM port (or something like that) also on the back. Does that have to
    >be plugged into the computer (it is running okay without it plugged
    >into to anything right now)? I tried just plugging an adapter into the
    >port and the fan on the UPS kicked on right away, so I unplugged it
    >immediately.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly apppreciated on this matter. Sorry for
    >seeming totally clueless on this subject, but I am new to using a UPS
    >and am having great difficulty tracking down anything on my Compaq
    >T1000. I also realize that it is probably a discontinued product, hence
    >the lack of documentation available.
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >Mike

    You didn't look too hard... found this in just a few minutes.
    http://compactURL.com/viwo
    Unk, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Mikester71

    Trax Guest

    "Mikester71" <> wrote:

    |>I got an old Compaq T1000 UPS from work last week and have decided to
    |>hook my system at home to it. I have always wanted to get one for home
    |>because our power frequently flicks on/off, especially during the
    |>summer stormy season. I have two questions regarding the use of a UPS.
    |>
    |>First off, I cannot find a manual for the T1000 anywhere online (and
    |>yes, I googled my arse off trying to find anything to do with the
    |>T1000.) Seeings how I basically rescued it from the trash at work, I
    |>did not get any documentation with it. What I would like to know is how
    |>do I get my system to recognize that it is attached to a UPS? If I look
    |>under Performance & Maintenance in WinXP, it doesn't show one as being
    |>attached under the UPS tab in Power Options. It won't let me add mine
    |>either.
    |>
    |>Secondly, what all needs to be plugged in coming from the back of the
    |>UPS? I have the unit obviously plugged in to an outlet, but I noticed a
    |>COM port (or something like that) also on the back. Does that have to
    |>be plugged into the computer (it is running okay without it plugged
    |>into to anything right now)? I tried just plugging an adapter into the
    |>port and the fan on the UPS kicked on right away, so I unplugged it
    |>immediately.
    |>
    |>Any help would be greatly apppreciated on this matter. Sorry for
    |>seeming totally clueless on this subject, but I am new to using a UPS
    |>and am having great difficulty tracking down anything on my Compaq
    |>T1000. I also realize that it is probably a discontinued product, hence
    |>the lack of documentation available.

    Seeing as it's old you might want to replace the batteries.

    The com port of the ups hooks up to your computer com port, and
    communicates on a power failure to the computer to shut it down (Power
    settings). You most likely need software to use the com port hook up;
    download from the link Unk provided.

    You don't need to hook the com port up for the ups system to work tho.

    --
    Redneck Roller Coaster
    Trax, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Mikester71

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Mikester71" <> wrote in news:1132644243.002938.56540
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I got an old Compaq T1000 UPS from work last week and have decided to
    > hook my system at home to it. I have always wanted to get one for home
    > because our power frequently flicks on/off, especially during the
    > summer stormy season. I have two questions regarding the use of a UPS.
    >
    > First off, I cannot find a manual for the T1000 anywhere online (and
    > yes, I googled my arse off trying to find anything to do with the
    > T1000.) Seeings how I basically rescued it from the trash at work, I
    > did not get any documentation with it. What I would like to know is how
    > do I get my system to recognize that it is attached to a UPS? If I look
    > under Performance & Maintenance in WinXP, it doesn't show one as being
    > attached under the UPS tab in Power Options. It won't let me add mine
    > either.

    The only unit's I have used are Belkin and they have their own CD to
    install and monitor the UPS device. And in addition to this, if the unit
    is not XP certified to work with the XP O/S, it's not going to be
    recognized by the O/S.

    > Secondly, what all needs to be plugged in coming from the back of the
    > UPS? I have the unit obviously plugged in to an outlet, but I noticed a
    > COM port (or something like that) also on the back. Does that have to
    > be plugged into the computer (it is running okay without it plugged
    > into to anything right now)? I tried just plugging an adapter into the
    > port and the fan on the UPS kicked on right away, so I unplugged it
    > immediately.

    I am not at home and my UPS is in storage with everything else but as I
    recall, the UPS on the COM port is plugged into the computer so that the
    software for the UPS can communicate with it and control it, like testing
    the battery strength can it hold a charge, start sending emails to
    someone if there is a power loss, shutdown the computer that's doing the
    monitoring before the power is lost/drained from the UPS not letting the
    computer just crash.

    > Any help would be greatly apppreciated on this matter. Sorry for
    > seeming totally clueless on this subject, but I am new to using a UPS
    > and am having great difficulty tracking down anything on my Compaq
    > T1000. I also realize that it is probably a discontinued product, hence
    > the lack of documentation available.

    That means you should spend the $$$$ and get one that has the manual,
    warrantee and everything else. They are not that expensive. You can
    probably get a good one for about $50.

    And if you get one like I did, the manufacture will just replace the
    whole thing free of charge and you pay the shipping. And they do play out
    after a couple of years as the battery fails to hold a charge.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    I too found the link you provided in seconds. The only problem being
    neither one is my UPS. The ones listed on hp's site are the newer XR
    model and look nothing like the one I have. Maybe they work the same, I
    don't know.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Mikester71

    Plato Guest

    Mikester71 wrote:

    > I got an old Compaq T1000 UPS from work last week and have decided to
    > hook my system at home to it. I have always wanted to get one for home

    I see you got it from the trash. If it's been used heavily it may not be
    any good. The battery may be old and worn out.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    How would you know if the battery is dead? When I unplug the UPS, the
    computer and monitor stay on okay. I just don't know how long for.
    Would plugging the com port from the UPS to my computer give me some
    indication how much juice is left?

    Thanks again,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Mikester71

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Mikester71" <> wrote in news:1132728443.210983.132390
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > How would you know if the battery is dead? When I unplug the UPS, the
    > computer and monitor stay on okay. I just don't know how long for.
    > Would plugging the com port from the UPS to my computer give me some
    > indication how much juice is left?

    You have to have the program that came with the unit to make it run the
    tests on the battery to see its charging and holding that charge capacity.

    If you got it out of the trash, it cannot be much longer before it's gone.
    No one would dump a perfectly good UPS.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Mikester71

    Plato Guest

    Mikester71 wrote:

    > How would you know if the battery is dead? When I unplug the UPS, the

    Test it. Simulate a power outage. See how long the battery lasts.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    I work for the local school board and you would not believe the stuff
    they throw out. When they get newer computers for the classrooms,
    sometimes they just take the hard drive out of the older ones and leave
    them out in the hall marked garabage. I have brought a few home and
    added a new hard drive and, voila, working computer. Now granted they
    aren't usually top of the line machines. Usually older Pentium 2 or 3
    Compaqs and Dells. I have also got many good, working hubs that way
    too.

    Mike
    Mikester71, Nov 23, 2005
  11. Mikester71