    I've never tried it before,hence my question. I'm sure it has been covered
    here before,but I couldnt find it while searching
    thanks for answers

    me, Mar 1, 2007

  2. me

    Guest

    I think you have to use a crossover cable (like an ethernet or network
    cable, but specically designed for this.) I got one at the great
    canadian dollar store and it works great. If you're using your
    ethernet card on the XP system for internet than you'll have to
    install a 2nd network card on that pc to use to connect the 2
    together. Once you have it set up than you just create a home network
    and the 2 will see each other in My Network Places.

    Or get a router or wireless router and hook them both up to it with
    regular ethernet cables and create a home network. That will
    eliminate the need for a 2nd network card and crossover cable.

    Good luck! Search out microsoft's website, they'll have detailed
    instructions on how to do it either way you decide to go.

    On Mar 1, 11:36 am, "me" <this-is...@ke-made-up-domain-name-and-
    is.invalid> wrote:
    > Someone gave me a PC which they didnt want,and it has Windows ME on it. I
    > want to hook it up to my main PC (XP pro) so that I can transfer CDs/MP3
    > files to it,as I intend to use it as a jukebox hooked up to my amp in the
    > living room.
    > If I hook it up with a USB cable,will the main XP-PC see the ME-PC's hard
    > drive as a slave and assign a drive letter to it so that I can transfer
    > files to it that way? Or is there another specific way I have to do it.
    > I've never tried it before,hence my question. I'm sure it has been covered
    > here before,but I couldnt find it while searching
    > thanks for answers

    , Mar 1, 2007

  3. "me" <> wrote in message
    > Someone gave me a PC which they didnt want,and it has Windows ME on it. I
    > want to hook it up to my main PC (XP pro) so that I can transfer CDs/MP3
    > files to it,as I intend to use it as a jukebox hooked up to my amp in the
    > living room.
    > If I hook it up with a USB cable,will the main XP-PC see the ME-PC's hard
    > drive as a slave and assign a drive letter to it so that I can transfer
    > files to it that way? Or is there another specific way I have to do it.
    > I've never tried it before,hence my question. I'm sure it has been covered
    > here before,but I couldnt find it while searching
    > thanks for answers

    Haven't you got a CD/DVD burner? That would be the easiest way to transfer
    your music across.

    Or you could temporarily move the HDD from your XP machine to the WinME one
    and transfer the files to the other HDD. This is a little more complicated
    though.

    Another option would be to buy one (or two, depending if your already have
    them) network cards and a crossover cable. This would be the best way if
    you were to connect these computers up often, or permanently.

    If you have a router you could connect them bth through that, as long as
    they both have network cards. You don't need a crossover cable this way.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Mar 1, 2007
  4. me

    me Guest

    "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message

    > "me" <> wrote in message
    >> Someone gave me a PC which they didnt want,and it has Windows ME on it. I
    >> want to hook it up to my main PC (XP pro) so that I can transfer CDs/MP3
    >> files to it,as I intend to use it as a jukebox hooked up to my amp in the
    >> living room.
    >> If I hook it up with a USB cable,will the main XP-PC see the ME-PC's hard
    >> drive as a slave and assign a drive letter to it so that I can transfer
    >> files to it that way? Or is there another specific way I have to do it.
    >> I've never tried it before,hence my question. I'm sure it has been
    >> covered here before,but I couldnt find it while searching
    >> thanks for answers

    > Haven't you got a CD/DVD burner? That would be the easiest way to
    > transfer your music across.
    >
    > Or you could temporarily move the HDD from your XP machine to the WinME
    > one and transfer the files to the other HDD. This is a little more
    > complicated though.
    >
    > Another option would be to buy one (or two, depending if your already have
    > them) network cards and a crossover cable. This would be the best way if
    > you were to connect these computers up often, or permanently.
    >
    > If you have a router you could connect them bth through that, as long as
    > they both have network cards. You don't need a crossover cable this way.
    >
    > ss.

    Yeah I was thinking about the DVD transferring option too,maybe I will use a
    rewriteable disc so i dont waste loads of discs. Probably take longer but i
    think it will be easier.

    thanks to all for replies

    me, Mar 1, 2007
  5. me

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:36:33 -0800, me wrote:

    >Someone gave me a PC which they didnt want,and it has Windows ME on it. I
    >want to hook it up to my main PC (XP pro) so that I can transfer CDs/MP3
    >files to it,as I intend to use it as a jukebox hooked up to my amp in the
    >living room.
    >If I hook it up with a USB cable,will the main XP-PC see the ME-PC's hard

    You need a USB file transfer cable. Somrthing like this,
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=275561
    No drivers needed - simply plug-in and copy files with no setup
    required.
    You should be able to get 1 from lots of places.

    Or if both PCs have Ethernet network cards (or you can buy some very
    cheap) with a crossover cable.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.firewall.cx/
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    Then there is the move hardisk from 1 PC to the other, cd/dvd backup
    already mentioned. Big USB stick , USB hardisk.

    >drive as a slave and assign a drive letter to it so that I can transfer
    >files to it that way? Or is there another specific way I have to do it.
    >I've never tried it before,hence my question. I'm sure it has been covered
    >here before,but I couldnt find it while searching

    Not even..

    home network

    connecet 2 pc

    found anything?

    11,900 results for home network
    1,590 results for connect 2 pc

    Taking a wild guessm using your subject line

    36 results for Hooking up 2 PC's together

    >thanks for answers

    Me

    why?, Mar 1, 2007
  6. me

    soundblasted Guest

    "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message >

    > Or you could temporarily move the HDD from your XP machine to the WinME
    > one and transfer the files to the other HDD. This is a little more
    > complicated though.

    Are you seriously suggesting that as an option?

    soundblasted, Mar 1, 2007
  7. me

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "me" <> wrote in message
    >> Someone gave me a PC which they didnt want,and it has Windows ME on it. I
    >> want to hook it up to my main PC (XP pro) so that I can transfer CDs/MP3
    >> files to it,as I intend to use it as a jukebox hooked up to my amp in the
    >> living room.
    >> If I hook it up with a USB cable,will the main XP-PC see the ME-PC's hard
    >> drive as a slave and assign a drive letter to it so that I can transfer
    >> files to it that way? Or is there another specific way I have to do it.
    >> I've never tried it before,hence my question. I'm sure it has been covered
    >> here before,but I couldnt find it while searching
    >> thanks for answers

    > Haven't you got a CD/DVD burner? That would be the easiest way to transfer
    > your music across.
    >
    > Or you could temporarily move the HDD from your XP machine to the WinME one
    > and transfer the files to the other HDD. This is a little more complicated
    > though.
    >
    > Another option would be to buy one (or two, depending if your already have
    > them) network cards and a crossover cable. This would be the best way if
    > you were to connect these computers up often, or permanently.
    >
    > If you have a router you could connect them bth through that, as long as
    > they both have network cards. You don't need a crossover cable this way.
    >
    > ss.

    Mionr problem with one of your solutions. The Windows ME box may be
    running FAT32 but the XP box is almost certainly running NTFS. If you
    send out a serial signal that should be OK since the storage is what is
    different not the file. But if you have some direct connection there may
    be a problem.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Mar 1, 2007
  8. "soundblasted" <> wrote in message

    > "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message
    > >

    >> Or you could temporarily move the HDD from your XP machine to the WinME
    >> one and transfer the files to the other HDD. This is a little more
    >> complicated though.
    >>

    > Are you seriously suggesting that as an option?

    Might be a bit too complicated for the OP, and you, but yes. When it comes
    to gigabytes of data to be transferred I often do it this way myself, using
    HDD mobile racks (caddies).

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Mar 2, 2007
  9. "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message

    > Mionr problem with one of your solutions. The Windows ME box may be
    > running FAT32 but the XP box is almost certainly running NTFS. If you send
    > out a serial signal that should be OK since the storage is what is
    > different not the file. But if you have some direct connection there may
    > be a problem.

    That's a valid point that I didn't think of. But using NTFS fro Win98 would
    be a solution for that.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Mar 2, 2007
  10. me

    soundblasted Guest

    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ethernet.htm

    soundblasted, Mar 2, 2007
  11. me

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:31:27 GMT, Fred Kasner wrote:

    >Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    >> "me" <> wrote in message
    >>> Someone gave me a PC which they didnt want,and it has Windows ME on it. I
    >>> want to hook it up to my main PC (XP pro) so that I can transfer CDs/MP3
    >>> files to it,as I intend to use it as a jukebox hooked up to my amp in the
    >>> living room.
    >>> If I hook it up with a USB cable,will the main XP-PC see the ME-PC's hard
    >>> drive as a slave and assign a drive letter to it so that I can transfer

    <snip>

    >> Or you could temporarily move the HDD from your XP machine to the WinME one
    >> and transfer the files to the other HDD. This is a little more complicated
    >> though.
    >>
    >> Another option would be to buy one (or two, depending if your already have
    >> them) network cards and a crossover cable. This would be the best way if
    >> you were to connect these computers up often, or permanently.
    >>
    >> If you have a router you could connect them bth through that, as long as
    >> they both have network cards. You don't need a crossover cable this way.
    >>
    >> ss.
    >>

    >Mionr problem with one of your solutions. The Windows ME box may be

    Same solution with a small alteration only, moving WinME HD to XP PC to
    copy the files and put it back.

    >running FAT32 but the XP box is almost certainly running NTFS. If you
    >send out a serial signal that should be OK since the storage is what is

    Where did serial signal come into it?

    >different not the file. But if you have some direct connection there may
    >be a problem.

    Not USB or networking, the file system doesn't matter.

    >FK

    Me

    why?, Mar 2, 2007