    to my friend's pc-less place.) OTOH, my small, flat screen Ben-Q
    monitor I could easily transport if I could get a hookup for it to
    attach to a dvd player. Thanks for any advice.
    weft2, Feb 5, 2006

  2. weft2 wrote:
    > Is it possible to hook up a stand alone dvd player to a flat screen pc
    > monitor? I notice the plug end which goes into the pc from the monitor
    > is the typical squarish, multi pinned type. Is there an adaptor out
    > there which will fit on this end and then input into the typical round
    > yellow video jack on most dvd players, vcrs and tvs? I ask, because I
    > created a vcd of a friend's vacation photos and tried playing the video
    > cd for them on their dvd player (which also plays vcd's). However, I
    > found the picture quality, though full screen and inputting into their
    > decent quality Sony 20" TV, to be much, much poorer than when I watched
    > the photos full screen on my flat screen pc monitor at home (which
    > unfortunately is attached to a pc tower which I don't want to lug over
    > to my friend's pc-less place.) OTOH, my small, flat screen Ben-Q
    > monitor I could easily transport if I could get a hookup for it to
    > attach to a dvd player. Thanks for any advice.

    Most monitors have at least one of the following: VGA (15 pin usu. blue
    cable), and DVI (pin number varies by type). Ideally, their DVD player
    has the same (or a compatible) DVI interface (for a list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI). If their DVD player has VGA out,
    that will probably be the easiest (no need to worry about
    compatibility). Some monitors also offer composite (yellow cable),
    S-Video (4 pin cable), or Component (red, blue, green) in, but chances
    are the monitor won't display in a higher resolution with those inputs
    (the exception being component).
    Nicholas Andrade, Feb 5, 2006

  3. weft2

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    > weft2 wrote:
    >> Is it possible to hook up a stand alone dvd player to a flat screen pc
    >> monitor? I notice the plug end which goes into the pc from the monitor
    >> is the typical squarish, multi pinned type. Is there an adaptor out
    >> there which will fit on this end and then input into the typical round
    >> yellow video jack on most dvd players, vcrs and tvs? I ask, because I
    >> created a vcd of a friend's vacation photos and tried playing the video
    >> cd for them on their dvd player (which also plays vcd's). However, I
    >> found the picture quality, though full screen and inputting into their
    >> decent quality Sony 20" TV, to be much, much poorer than when I watched
    >> the photos full screen on my flat screen pc monitor at home (which
    >> unfortunately is attached to a pc tower which I don't want to lug over
    >> to my friend's pc-less place.) OTOH, my small, flat screen Ben-Q
    >> monitor I could easily transport if I could get a hookup for it to
    >> attach to a dvd player. Thanks for any advice.
    >>

    > Most monitors have at least one of the following: VGA (15 pin usu. blue
    > cable), and DVI (pin number varies by type). Ideally, their DVD player
    > has the same (or a compatible) DVI interface (for a list:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI). If their DVD player has VGA out, that
    > will probably be the easiest (no need to worry about compatibility). Some
    > monitors also offer composite (yellow cable), S-Video (4 pin cable), or
    > Component (red, blue, green) in, but chances are the monitor won't display
    > in a higher resolution with those inputs (the exception being component).

    But the vast majority of monitors have only a VGA input (as the OP
    describes), and the vast majority of DVD players have only analog video
    outputs (component, s-video, composite). So the likelihood is that the OP
    will need a scan converter to accomplish his hookup, which means spending
    $60 or more and not getting very good results.

    The reason for the difference in photo quality the OP noticed is because the
    video resolution of a VCD (640x480 maximum) is far lower than that of the
    original PC display and display card (at least 1024x768, probably much
    higher). Plus, the change in pixel shape converting to NTSC usually makes
    photos look like crap unless you (or your software) compensates for it.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Feb 6, 2006
  4. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On 5 Feb 2006 14:23:16 -0800, "weft2" <> Gave us:

    >Is it possible to hook up a stand alone dvd player to a flat screen pc
    >monitor? I notice the plug end which goes into the pc from the monitor
    >is the typical squarish, multi pinned type. Is there an adaptor out
    >there which will fit on this end and then input into the typical round
    >yellow video jack on most dvd players, vcrs and tvs? I ask, because I
    >created a vcd of a friend's vacation photos and tried playing the video
    >cd for them on their dvd player (which also plays vcd's). However, I
    >found the picture quality, though full screen and inputting into their
    >decent quality Sony 20" TV, to be much, much poorer than when I watched
    >the photos full screen on my flat screen pc monitor at home (which
    >unfortunately is attached to a pc tower which I don't want to lug over
    >to my friend's pc-less place.) OTOH, my small, flat screen Ben-Q
    >monitor I could easily transport if I could get a hookup for it to
    >attach to a dvd player. Thanks for any advice.

    Purchase the ViewSonic video processor. It even accepts progressive
    scan input, and pipes it to your PC monitor. It also has a cable
    tuner in it!

    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  5. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 20:28:39 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    >> weft2 wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to hook up a stand alone dvd player to a flat screen pc
    >>> monitor? I notice the plug end which goes into the pc from the monitor
    >>> is the typical squarish, multi pinned type. Is there an adaptor out
    >>> there which will fit on this end and then input into the typical round
    >>> yellow video jack on most dvd players, vcrs and tvs? I ask, because I
    >>> created a vcd of a friend's vacation photos and tried playing the video
    >>> cd for them on their dvd player (which also plays vcd's). However, I
    >>> found the picture quality, though full screen and inputting into their
    >>> decent quality Sony 20" TV, to be much, much poorer than when I watched
    >>> the photos full screen on my flat screen pc monitor at home (which
    >>> unfortunately is attached to a pc tower which I don't want to lug over
    >>> to my friend's pc-less place.) OTOH, my small, flat screen Ben-Q
    >>> monitor I could easily transport if I could get a hookup for it to
    >>> attach to a dvd player. Thanks for any advice.
    >>>

    >> Most monitors have at least one of the following: VGA (15 pin usu. blue
    >> cable), and DVI (pin number varies by type). Ideally, their DVD player
    >> has the same (or a compatible) DVI interface (for a list:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI). If their DVD player has VGA out, that
    >> will probably be the easiest (no need to worry about compatibility). Some
    >> monitors also offer composite (yellow cable), S-Video (4 pin cable), or
    >> Component (red, blue, green) in, but chances are the monitor won't display
    >> in a higher resolution with those inputs (the exception being component).

    >But the vast majority of monitors have only a VGA input (as the OP
    >describes), and the vast majority of DVD players have only analog video
    >outputs (component, s-video, composite). So the likelihood is that the OP
    >will need a scan converter to accomplish his hookup, which means spending
    >$60 or more and not getting very good results.

    There are plenty of VERY GOOD video processors out there.

    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/

    >The reason for the difference in photo quality the OP noticed is because the
    >video resolution of a VCD (640x480 maximum) is far lower than that of the
    >original PC display and display card (at least 1024x768, probably much
    >higher). Plus, the change in pixel shape converting to NTSC usually makes
    >photos look like crap unless you (or your software) compensates for it.

    Hahahaha... this makes no sense. Pixel shape? Sure.... OK.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  6. weft2

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > There are plenty of VERY GOOD video processors out there.

    None of which can make NTSC video look like a computer display.

    > Hahahaha... this makes no sense. Pixel shape? Sure.... OK.

    Analog video has rectangular pixels. Computer displays have square pixels.
    "Pixel shape." Get it?

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Feb 6, 2006
  7. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:56:17 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >> There are plenty of VERY GOOD video processors out there.

    >None of which can make NTSC video look like a computer display.

    Bullshit. They are up to NS-5 now, and even my NS-2 puts out NTSC as
    well as HDTV inputs to my PC monitor at 1280x1024 just fine.
    Flawlessly in fact.

    >> Hahahaha... this makes no sense. Pixel shape? Sure.... OK.

    >Analog video has rectangular pixels. Computer displays have square pixels.
    >"Pixel shape." Get it?

    Yes, except it has nothing to do with signal content. The pixels
    are fired by the electron gun and managed by the shadow mask, or
    aperture grill(e).
    Period.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_grille
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mask

    You are outside your realm of knowledge apparently, or you are making
    something more complex than it is. Either way, your opinion seems to
    be tainted by an experience with OLD technology.

    Do you have a cite that describes anything about the signal managing
    pixel shape? No, you cannot. Why? They manage scan lines and scan
    line count... period. The signal content has NOTHING to do with pixel
    shape.

    You should refrain from making remarks based on a very old
    technology with which you are familiar with, ie "scan converters". It
    is not related to the modern version. Also, your knowledge of the
    subject itself seems outdated. Reminds me of the old video cards that
    could not put out to an HDTV monitor, despite having a DVI output.
    You claim scan converters suck because you haven't even looked at one
    since the crappy version you apparently experienced some years ago.
    You need to look at them again, because they are fairly flawless these
    days.

    The viewsonic device I have here is MADE to put out to a VGA
    monitor. It accepts several forms of input up to and including
    progressive scan HDTV signaling. It converts them all just fine, and
    does so quite precisely. It even has a cable tuner in it, so I think
    it handles NTSC just fine.

    Try again.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  8. weft2

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:56:17 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    >>"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >>> There are plenty of VERY GOOD video processors out there.

    >>None of which can make NTSC video look like a computer display.

    > Bullshit. They are up to NS-5 now, and even my NS-2 puts out NTSC as
    > well as HDTV inputs to my PC monitor at 1280x1024 just fine.
    > Flawlessly in fact.

    The OP's source is a VCD. Nothing a scan converter can do to change that.

    >>> Hahahaha... this makes no sense. Pixel shape? Sure.... OK.

    >>Analog video has rectangular pixels. Computer displays have square pixels.
    >>"Pixel shape." Get it?

    > Yes, except it has nothing to do with signal content. The pixels
    > are fired by the electron gun and managed by the shadow mask, or
    > aperture grill(e).
    > Period.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_grille
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mask
    >
    > You are outside your realm of knowledge apparently, or you are making
    > something more complex than it is. Either way, your opinion seems to
    > be tainted by an experience with OLD technology.
    >
    > Do you have a cite that describes anything about the signal managing
    > pixel shape? No, you cannot. Why? They manage scan lines and scan
    > line count... period. The signal content has NOTHING to do with pixel
    > shape.
    >
    > You should refrain from making remarks based on a very old
    > technology with which you are familiar with, ie "scan converters". It
    > is not related to the modern version. Also, your knowledge of the
    > subject itself seems outdated. Reminds me of the old video cards that
    > could not put out to an HDTV monitor, despite having a DVI output.
    > You claim scan converters suck because you haven't even looked at one
    > since the crappy version you apparently experienced some years ago.
    > You need to look at them again, because they are fairly flawless these
    > days.
    >
    > The viewsonic device I have here is MADE to put out to a VGA
    > monitor. It accepts several forms of input up to and including
    > progressive scan HDTV signaling. It converts them all just fine, and
    > does so quite precisely. It even has a cable tuner in it, so I think
    > it handles NTSC just fine.

    I love you guys who spew all your advanced knowledge without trying to solve
    the OP's problem. He wants to know why his VCD's look like crap on his TV,
    and whether connecting his DVD player to an LCD monitor would help. It
    won't, and you know it. Tell him to buy a scan converter if you want to. It
    won't make his VCDs look any better than they do on an analog TV.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Feb 6, 2006
  9. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 00:16:49 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:56:17 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>

    >>>"Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>None of which can make NTSC video look like a computer display.

    >> Bullshit. They are up to NS-5 now, and even my NS-2 puts out NTSC as
    >> well as HDTV inputs to my PC monitor at 1280x1024 just fine.
    >> Flawlessly in fact.

    >The OP's source is a VCD. Nothing a scan converter can do to change that.

    That still does NOT preclude the fact that a video processor is the
    best way to get DVD output onto a PC monitor.

    >>>Analog video has rectangular pixels. Computer displays have square pixels.
    >>>"Pixel shape." Get it?

    >> Yes, except it has nothing to do with signal content. The pixels
    >> are fired by the electron gun and managed by the shadow mask, or
    >> aperture grill(e).
    >> Period.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_grille
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mask
    >>
    >> You are outside your realm of knowledge apparently, or you are making
    >> something more complex than it is. Either way, your opinion seems to
    >> be tainted by an experience with OLD technology.
    >>
    >> Do you have a cite that describes anything about the signal managing
    >> pixel shape? No, you cannot. Why? They manage scan lines and scan
    >> line count... period. The signal content has NOTHING to do with pixel
    >> shape.
    >>
    >> You should refrain from making remarks based on a very old
    >> technology with which you are familiar with, ie "scan converters". It
    >> is not related to the modern version. Also, your knowledge of the
    >> subject itself seems outdated. Reminds me of the old video cards that
    >> could not put out to an HDTV monitor, despite having a DVI output.
    >> You claim scan converters suck because you haven't even looked at one
    >> since the crappy version you apparently experienced some years ago.
    >> You need to look at them again, because they are fairly flawless these
    >> days.
    >>
    >> The viewsonic device I have here is MADE to put out to a VGA
    >> monitor. It accepts several forms of input up to and including
    >> progressive scan HDTV signaling. It converts them all just fine, and
    >> does so quite precisely. It even has a cable tuner in it, so I think
    >> it handles NTSC just fine.

    >I love you guys who spew all your advanced knowledge without trying to solve
    >the OP's problem.

    I answered the question asked in the topic quite precisely, dumbass.

    > He wants to know why his VCD's look like crap on his TV,

    VCDs look like crap on anything except a tiny 320x200 or 640x480
    window on your PC monitor's higher res screen.

    >and whether connecting his DVD player to an LCD monitor would help.

    I never once said that it would.

    > It
    >won't, and you know it.

    See above. I never said it would.

    > Tell him to buy a scan converter if you want to.

    That answers the question he posed in the topic header.

    > It
    >won't make his VCDs look any better than they do on an analog TV.

    I never said it would. I also didn't notice you giving him any
    links to a cite regarding lossy compression.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  10. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On 5 Feb 2006 14:23:16 -0800, "weft2" <> Gave us:

    >Is it possible to hook up a stand alone dvd player to a flat screen pc
    >monitor? I notice the plug end which goes into the pc from the monitor
    >is the typical squarish, multi pinned type. Is there an adaptor out
    >there which will fit on this end and then input into the typical round
    >yellow video jack on most dvd players, vcrs and tvs? I ask, because I
    >created a vcd of a friend's vacation photos and tried playing the video
    >cd for them on their dvd player (which also plays vcd's). However, I
    >found the picture quality, though full screen and inputting into their
    >decent quality Sony 20" TV, to be much, much poorer than when I watched
    >the photos full screen on my flat screen pc monitor at home (which
    >unfortunately is attached to a pc tower which I don't want to lug over
    >to my friend's pc-less place.) OTOH, my small, flat screen Ben-Q
    >monitor I could easily transport if I could get a hookup for it to
    >attach to a dvd player. Thanks for any advice.

    You need to re-scan them at a higher resolution with a lossless
    method. Look into the manner that Kodak uses as their products do not
    appear the way you describe on larger TV monitors.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  11. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 00:16:49 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    <> Gave us:

    >I love you guys who spew all your advanced knowledge without trying to solve
    >the OP's problem.

    Not only did I answer the question he posed in the topic header, but
    I also answered the very first question he asked in the body of the
    post.

    > He wants to know why his VCD's look like crap on his TV,

    No. he specifically wanted to know what I answered him about. He
    MENTIONED a problem with his picture CD. The "answer" you gave wasn't
    even correct. He said they looked bad on the LARGER TV monitor.
    Therefore the answer to his problem was to re-scan the STILL images
    with a lossless manner that DVD players will still recognize, like the
    way Kodak does it, as most will play that format.

    >and whether connecting his DVD player to an LCD monitor would help.

    Nope. He didn't ask if it would help. He STATED that that
    particular monitor was easy to transport and that he would use that
    one.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  12. weft2

    M.B. Guest

    Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 00:16:49 -0500, "Rich Clark"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    >> I love you guys who spew all your advanced knowledge without trying to solve
    >> the OP's problem.

    > Not only did I answer the question he posed in the topic header, but
    > I also answered the very first question he asked in the body of the
    > post.
    >

    >> He wants to know why his VCD's look like crap on his TV,

    > No. he specifically wanted to know what I answered him about. He
    > MENTIONED a problem with his picture CD. The "answer" you gave wasn't
    > even correct. He said they looked bad on the LARGER TV monitor.
    > Therefore the answer to his problem was to re-scan the STILL images
    > with a lossless manner that DVD players will still recognize, like the
    > way Kodak does it, as most will play that format.
    >
    >> and whether connecting his DVD player to an LCD monitor would help.

    > Nope. He didn't ask if it would help. He STATED that that
    > particular monitor was easy to transport and that he would use that
    > one.

    My God you are an asshole, aren't you!? Heaven forbid you should answer
    a question or make a post without insulting someone. Forgive us O
    Mighty One for not being as smart as you!

    *PLONK*
    M.B., Feb 6, 2006
  13. weft2

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 08:44:42 -0800, "M.B." <> Gave
    us:

    >My God you are an asshole, aren't you!? Heaven forbid you should answer
    >a question or make a post without insulting someone. Forgive us O
    >Mighty One for not being as smart as you!

    My God, you are an idiot, aren't you? Heaven forbid you should just
    shut the **** up if you do not have anything pertinent to add or
    contribute to the thread. Forgive me O Retarded One for not being as
    utterly stupid as you are.

    >*PLONK*

    The only thing worse than a Usenet retard is one that thinks
    announcing his filter file edits have some depth or meaning.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Feb 6, 2006
  14. weft2

    TB Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" whined like a litle girl:

    > The only thing worse than a Usenet retard is one that thinks
    > announcing his filter file edits have some depth or meaning.

    Cool. So you can actually brag that you're better than someone who filters
    you, seeing as you're a "usenet retard" n' all. LOL!

    T.B.
    TB, Feb 6, 2006