    extra CF cards, chargers etc.

    Thanks
    Barry
    Dabear, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Dabear wrote:
    >I just upgraded to a Canon 20D 17-85 IS lens with 580 EX flash. I'm
    > going to be adding another lens soon (Canon 70-200 IS). However, I
    > am wondering about the purchase of a lens hood? I've done 35mm
    > photography of an on for years and have used a regular lens hood
    > ....but I've seen "scalloped" hoods in use for a long time. What is
    > the advantage of the scalloped hoods? Also...what filters should I be
    > considering in order of priority (as I'll be buying one at a
    > time...over a period of time). I do a bit of everything in terms of
    > photography from indoor flash to outdoor wildlife, low light, time
    > exposures etc. I really love the camera and the upgrade made a big
    > difference in the quality of my photos...but it also gave me a lot
    > more to learn. Any other suggestions about purchases I should
    > consider, would be appreciated. I already have a nice tripod, bag,
    > cleaning gear, batteries, extra CF cards, chargers etc.
    > Thanks
    > Barry

    I don't think you would need a scalloped hood for a 75-200, but they are
    good for wide angle lenses.

    The scalloped shape gives better protection from flare than a round hood
    can. It only becomes a read difference at wide angle.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Dabear

    Skip M Guest

    "Dabear" <> wrote in message
    >I just upgraded to a Canon 20D 17-85 IS lens with 580 EX flash. I'm going
    >to be adding another lens soon (Canon 70-200 IS). However, I am wondering
    >about the purchase of a lens hood? I've done 35mm photography of an on for
    >years and have used a regular lens hood ....but I've seen "scalloped" hoods
    >in use for a long time. What is the advantage of the scalloped hoods?
    >Also...what filters should I be considering in order of priority (as I'll
    >be buying one at a time...over a period of time). I do a bit of everything
    >in terms of photography from indoor flash to outdoor wildlife, low light,
    >time exposures etc. I really love the camera and the upgrade made a big
    >difference in the quality of my photos...but it also gave me a lot more to
    >learn. Any other suggestions about purchases I should consider, would be
    >appreciated. I already have a nice tripod, bag, cleaning gear, batteries,
    >extra CF cards, chargers etc.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Barry

    The scallop on the lens hood keeps the hood from intruding on the image in
    the corners when the lens is on its wider settings, so, for your 17-85, it
    is better to get a Canon hood that was designed specifically for that lens.
    The 70-200, since it is an "L" lens, comes with a hood supplied, which, by
    the way, is slightly scalloped, too.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Dabear

    Skip M Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message

    > I don't think you would need a scalloped hood for a 75-200, but they
    > are good for wide angle lenses.

    The lens hood supplied with the 70-200 f2.8L IS is slightly scalloped...

    Skip M, Feb 20, 2006