    I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
    this true?
    apkesh

    apkesh, May 7, 2004

  2. apkesh

    Roger Guest

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 04:15:00 +0000, apkesh wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if I
    > should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
    > Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the online
    > stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
    > I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
    > this true?
    > apkesh

    Apkesh,

    I've been to Hong Kong twice in the last year and decided on what I saw to
    not spend any more time fussing over whether to buy or not. For me the
    answer is NO on cameras, YES on binoculars, YES on accessories that don't
    depend so much on mechanics, electronics or warrenties (e.g. hoods,
    filters). I shopped Hong Kong/Kalwoon "carefully" with lots of net advise
    looking on the electronics packed streets as well as the recommended big
    name "reliable" dealers. Avoid the big street electronics "malls" except
    to window shop - unless you speak the language or have an experienced
    person with you. I did. It was a rush getting in the fray, but some shop
    owners really express their feelings when you break off negotiations.

    The warrenties are really the big differences, even in the big name
    places. On the street you have to be very cautious if the power supplies,
    battery chargers and video standards meet the standard of the
    region/country of usage. Any question you ask to a street side shop will
    have the answer of yes. So if you can't read the box, you are pretty much
    out of luck. Many vendors (except a few) will not let you open the box.
    They almost always ask you for a credit card first. Many want cash. In any
    case keep your money in your pocket. If you can't inspect the one you are
    buying, walk out.

    It's a buyer beware place. I don't need that aggrevation for cameras.
    However, I did find the prices on high end optics (e.g. binoculars) very
    competitive with US mail order prices and the warrenties are basically the
    same.

    BTW: if you read the fine print on the international warrenties - you may
    find that you don't want that aggrevation either.

    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, May 7, 2004

  3. apkesh

    Mark M Guest

    "apkesh" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if

    > should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
    > Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the

    online
    > stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
    > I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
    > this true?
    > apkesh

    Photo shops in Hong King make Abes of Maine look like B&H.

    This is a VERY rough place where you are VERY likely to be brazenly
    swindled.
    With my experiences there, I would NOT recommend the purchase of
    sophisticated camera gear there.

    Mark M, May 8, 2004
  4. apkesh

    Guest

    apkesh <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I will be travelling to Hong Kong in a few weeks time and was wondering if I
    > should buy my Canon EOS 10D here in the US or just wait till I get to Hong
    > Kong. The price at Circuit City in US is US$1500.00, on some of the online
    > stores, it's about US$1350. Does anyone know what the price of this in HK?
    > I've heard from various people that Canons are lot less cheaper in HK, is
    > this true?

    The advantage to buying such a complicated camera at home is that
    you'll get to study the camera's manual and shoot test photos before
    you need to use it in Hong Kong, assuming you do need to use it there.

    , May 8, 2004
  5. apkesh

    Tuckfook Guest

    I know HongKong very well, do you ?

    Hongkong is NOT a small place and there are perhaps more than a thousand
    camera shops with perhaps a hundred dealing in such high end cameras and
    maybe no more than 20 who REALLY know about what they are selling.

    Being a foreigner, the duty of the shop sales person is to make as much out
    of you as possible. No two ways about it !

    Yes, there are places that you will get a 10D cheaper than US, bear in mind
    that the warranty will usually be regional, ie. Hongkong or Japan only.
    You'll need a lot of bargaining skills to get a good price.

    The good price will usually come in a package, spare battery, memory cards
    etc. etc. every single bit of which you will be paying more for or buying
    fakes/replacement brands etc. A locally made camera bag may be $15 but
    you'll end up paying $50 or more...............so like I said it'll depend
    on your skills.

    Buy in Hongkong only if you know what you are doing.

    Tuckfook, May 8, 2004
  6. apkesh

    Charlie Self Guest

    Tuckfook notes:

    >The good price will usually come in a package, spare battery, memory cards
    >etc. etc. every single bit of which you will be paying more for or buying
    >fakes/replacement brands etc. A locally made camera bag may be $15 but
    >you'll end up paying $50 or more...............so like I said it'll depend
    >on your skills.
    >
    >Buy in Hongkong only if you know what you are doing.

    But, in all honesty, the same can be said for too many U.S. camera dealers.

    It's best to buy anywhere only if you know what you're doing. And, given the
    minimal differences in prices these days, it probably doesn't pay to buy
    outside your native country, possibly losing warranty consideration and having
    possible problems if a return becomes necessary.

    Charlie Self
    "Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Will Rogers

    Charlie Self, May 8, 2004