    I have a Nikon Coolpix 990. I heart it.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    ZeeExSixAre, Feb 12, 2004

  2. "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote in message
    news:wEFWb.9$...
    > Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    > regular infestation of troll posts. I'd just like to know, who did what

    > whom, and why are these trolls so pissed off? Is there any easy way to
    > instantly killfile these posts?

    Depends on your news reader. I filter based on sender and on key words in
    the subject. It cleans it all up nicely, though occasionally I miss good
    posts due to someone including a filtered word in the subject.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 12, 2004

  3. ZeeExSixAre

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "ZeeExSixAre" <> stated
    that:

    >Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    >regular infestation of troll posts. I'd just like to know, who did what to
    >whom, and why are these trolls so pissed off?

    Depends on which trolls you're talking about. We have two here. George
    Preddy, a nitwit who's convinced that if he just posts enough praise of
    the Sigma SD9, everyone on the planet will buy one. He's annoying, but
    harmless. The other troll is a psycho, (believed by some to be a former
    regular here), who posts random, obscenity-laden insults here about
    regulars from a variety of anonymous remailers. I haven't yet figured
    out what motivates this coward to do this.

    > Is there any easy way to
    >instantly killfile these posts?

    Dunno about instantly, but you can nuke at least 95% of the noise by
    killfiling on (subject) "Preddy", "Foveon", "Bayer", "Kook", "SD9" & (if
    your newsreader can do it) on the name "Dizum" or "Google" in the
    Organisation header.

    >I have a Nikon Coolpix 990. I heart it.

    I'm glad to hear it. ;)

    Lionel, Feb 12, 2004
  4. ZeeExSixAre

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote

    > Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    > regular infestation of troll posts. I'd just like to know, who did what

    > whom, and why are these trolls so pissed off? Is there any easy way to
    > instantly killfile these posts?

    I've found the easiest thing to do each day upon opening the group is
    quickly glance along the list to see what username is being used today (it's
    pretty obvious), open the first one without reading it and click 'block
    sender > remove all posts from this sender'. Whoosh, all gone (until
    tomorrow!) People are slowly learning not to reply to trolls, so eventually
    they'll go somewhere else.

    > I have a Nikon Coolpix 990. I heart it.

    Ditto my 995...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Feb 12, 2004
  5. ZeeExSixAre

    AArDvarK Guest

    Using outlook express? Above, click "Message",
    then in there click "Block sender", it works and
    I do use it in this NG on the foul jokesters. This
    works when the sender's header is darkened by
    selection.

    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 12, 2004
  6. "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote in news:wEFWb.9$ia3.4
    @fe07.usenetserver.com:

    > Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    > regular infestation of troll posts. I'd just like to know, who did what

    > whom, and why are these trolls so pissed off? Is there any easy way to
    > instantly killfile these posts?

    Just as someone already has said.

    There is one sick person here that changes name all the time.
    Sometimes he writes things regarding filthy sex, sometimes
    regarding celebrities, sometimes regarding people here. He also
    always cross posts. He also sends a series of ten or so posts
    using the same name.

    It might actually be more than one, maybe two or three. It might
    also be that the nomination for George Preddy as net kook on
    alt.usenet.kook has worked as a magnet for this kind of spam to r.p.d.
    More than not, one of the cross posting groups is a.u.k.

    Then we have Preddy and Guido of course. But they are just harmless
    weirdos that we all love and hate at the same time :)

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 12, 2004
  7. ZeeExSixAre

    Mark B. Guest

    > Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    > regular infestation of troll posts. I'd just like to know, who did what

    > whom, and why are these trolls so pissed off? Is there any easy way to
    > instantly killfile these posts?

    Hightlight a post by the troll to be killfiled. Select 'block sender' from
    the Message menu - this is assuming Outlook Express.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 12, 2004
  8. ZeeExSixAre

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote:

    >Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    >regular infestation of troll posts.

    Wow. What other newsgroups do you read? ;-) Seriously, this one isn't
    too bad compared to some others I frequent. There are a lot of childish
    "My ---- is better than your ---" here. A newsreader with good killfile
    capability (I use Forte Agent) is essential. I filter by author and by
    certain keywords in the subject line.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Feb 12, 2004
  9. ZeeExSixAre

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Roland Karlsson <>
    stated that:

    >It might actually be more than one, maybe two or three. It might
    >also be that the nomination for George Preddy as net kook on
    >alt.usenet.kook has worked as a magnet for this kind of spam to r.p.d.
    >More than not, one of the cross posting groups is a.u.k.

    I need to correct you on this one point. The semi-random xposts have
    been going on for nearly a year (remember the "Allan Browne's teeth"
    posts?). The AUK xposts are quite recent (the last week or so) & mostly
    caused by myself, as I set the xposts on any of my followups to George
    Preddy's nonsense to a newsgroup (AUK) in which it is very much
    on-topic. This also has the advantage that George & Guido's 'Weird
    Science' responses to my posts become invisible to anyone who's
    kill-filing xposts.

    Lionel, Feb 12, 2004
  10. ZeeExSixAre

    scott Guest

    In article <3TFWb.1087$>,
    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:

    > "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote in message
    > > Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    > > regular infestation of troll posts. I'd just like to know, who did what

    > > whom, and why are these trolls so pissed off? Is there any easy way to
    > > instantly killfile these posts?

    > Depends on your news reader. I filter based on sender and on key words in
    > the subject. It cleans it all up nicely, though occasionally I miss good
    > posts due to someone including a filtered word in the subject.

    I always find this 'killfile' thing really interesting. I've been around
    since the web's inception and not once has anyone forced me to
    open a thread that didn't interest me. If I see something like
    "BOB DILLY DALLIES WITH FROGS!" I tend to ignore it.

    Maybe I'm missing something but what difference does it make if a
    troll goes a'trolling a few times a week? Now, if there were a hundred
    or two a day ... then I'd be annoyed but what's with this hysteria over
    something that can be so easily ignored - unless you're really into
    'frog abuse'!?! (Then of course, I suppose, it would be important to
    the potientail reader!)

    scott, Feb 12, 2004
  11. ZeeExSixAre

    browntimdc Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote in

    > Out of the 10-20 newsgroups I browse, this one is the only one with a
    > regular infestation of troll posts.

    Check out rec.audio.opinion if you want to see the King of USE[less]NET

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham

    browntimdc, Feb 12, 2004
  12. ZeeExSixAre

    MisNomer Guest

    sometimes the headers are the worst part!

    take care
    Liz

    MisNomer, Feb 13, 2004
  13. ZeeExSixAre

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    scott wrote:

    > Maybe I'm missing something but what difference does
    > it make if a troll goes a'trolling a few times a week?

    Well, if your name were in the message title followed be
    abuse and/or racial/ethnic slurs, I bet you wouldn't want
    to see it...

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 13, 2004
  14. ZeeExSixAre

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Depends on whether you are poor folk like me still using dial-up. My
    reader still has to download headers for filter to work, and that
    download can take awhile with six or seven hundred messages a day.

    I have recently unsubscribed to the .35mm group, as in addition to the
    trolls (and, even worse, responses), the adolescent toilet language, and
    cross postings from this group, it became a real chore to read.

    scott wrote:

    > I always find this 'killfile' thing really interesting. I've been around
    > since the web's inception and not once has anyone forced me to
    > open a thread that didn't interest me. If I see something like
    > "BOB DILLY DALLIES WITH FROGS!" I tend to ignore it.
    >
    > Maybe I'm missing something but what difference does it make if a
    > troll goes a'trolling a few times a week? Now, if there were a hundred
    > or two a day ... then I'd be annoyed but what's with this hysteria over
    > something that can be so easily ignored - unless you're really into
    > 'frog abuse'!?! (Then of course, I suppose, it would be important to
    > the potientail reader!)

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Feb 13, 2004
  15. ZeeExSixAre

    scott Guest

    In article <>,
    Don Stauffer <> wrote:

    > Depends on whether you are poor folk like me still using dial-up. My
    > reader still has to download headers for filter to work, and that
    > download can take awhile with six or seven hundred messages a day.
    >
    > I have recently unsubscribed to the .35mm group, as in addition to the
    > trolls (and, even worse, responses), the adolescent toilet language, and
    > cross postings from this group, it became a real chore to read.

    In article <v6VWb.23099$>,
    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote:

    > Well, if your name were in the message title followed be
    > abuse and/or racial/ethnic slurs, I bet you wouldn't want
    > to see it...

    In article <>,
    MisNomer <> wrote:

    > sometimes the headers are the worst part!
    >
    > take care
    > Liz

    Liz

    Don: You've got a very good point. I must admit that I haven't used dial

    up for so long I've forgotten those loooonnnnggg interminable waits.
    You're right.

    Paolo: I'm of Scottish heritage BUT with an Irish last name. I give you
    permission to call me 'mick' or 'paddy' any ole time you want. I'll try
    to fight back my tears as best I can! If it becomes too emotionally
    upsetting to me I'll publicly beg you to stop ... like that's going to
    happen.

    Liz: Yep - you're right! ... and THAT'S the BEST reason to ignore it. I
    can't recall opening one with such a great tip-off like that!

    Except for Don's reply, I still find it absolutely amazing that in a
    free (supposedly free, anyway - although that seems to be modified bit
    by bit as the government is increasingly making it a point to determine
    for us what acceptable and unacceptable behavior is) society adults
    can't just avert their eyes. I suppose it's a matter of political
    correctness, as usual.

    'Heck!" ... I can actually remember when;

    All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?
    It took five minutes for the TV warm up?
    Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?
    Nobody owned a purebred dog?
    When a quarter was a decent allowance?
    You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?
    Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

    All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had
    their hair done every day and wore high heels?

    You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped,
    without asking, all for free, every time!!!
    And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

    Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the
    box?

    It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner
    at a real restaurant with your parents?

    They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . .and they
    did!

    When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay
    rubber or watch submarine races (all illegal today in one form or
    another), and people went steady?

    No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in
    the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

    Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
    and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a .....

    and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with
    the rules of the game?

    Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals
    because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

    And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once,
    you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,
    and share it with the children of today?

    When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
    compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?
    Basically we were in fear for our lives,
    but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.

    Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
    But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

    Send this on to someone who can still remember
    Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy,
    Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery,
    the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows,
    Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

    As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games,
    Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool,
    and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.
    Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?

    I am sharing this with you today
    because it ended with a double dog dare to pass it on.
    To remember what a double dog dare is, read on.
    And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between
    old enough to know better and too young to care.

    How many of these do you remember?

    Candy cigarettes
    Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
    Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
    Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
    Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
    Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    Newsreels before the movie
    P.F. Fliers

    Telephone numbers with a word prefix....(Raymond 4-601).
    Party lines
    Peashooters
    Howdy Dowdy
    45 RPM records
    Green Stamps
    Hi-Fi's

    Metal ice cubes trays with levers
    Mimeograph paper
    Beanie and Cecil
    Roller-skate keys
    Cork pop guns
    Drive ins
    Studebakers

    Washtub wringers
    The Fuller Brush Man
    Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
    Tinkertoys
    Erector Sets
    The Fort Apache Play Set
    Lincoln Logs
    15 cent McDonald hamburgers

    5 cent packs of baseball cards -
    with that awful pink slab of bubble gum

    Penny candy

    35 cent a gallon gasoline

    Jiffy Pop popcorn

    Do you remember a time when...

    Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
    (HORRORS OF ALL HORRORS!)
    Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?
    "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
    Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?
    It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?

    The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?
    Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?
    A foot of snow was a dream come true?

    Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action
    figures?
    "Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?
    Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

    The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
    War was a card game?
    Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
    Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?
    Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

    If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!
    If not, get that killfile up and running -or- get ye to a DSL IP, NOW!

    LOL

    s. MC COY

    scott, Feb 13, 2004
  16. ZeeExSixAre

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    scott wrote:

    > Paolo: I'm of Scottish heritage BUT with an Irish last name. I give
    > you permission to call me 'mick' or 'paddy' any ole time you want.
    > I'll try to fight back my tears as best I can! If it becomes too
    > emotionally upsetting to me I'll publicly beg you to stop ... like
    > that's going to happen.

    Huh? My point was that if you don't see it, it won't bother
    you at all.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 13, 2004
  17. ZeeExSixAre

    RAD Guest

    scott wrote:

> [...]
    > It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?
    >
    > The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?
    > Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?
    > A foot of snow was a dream come true?
    >
    > Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action
    > figures?
    > "Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?
    > Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?
    >
    > The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
    > War was a card game?
    > Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
    > Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?
    > Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?
    >
    > If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!
    > If not, get that killfile up and running -or- get ye to a DSL IP, NOW!

    I remember those days and times, and a few others. McDonald's hamburger
    was 7 cents, fries 11 cents. Gas was 32 cents a gallon - for supreme
    grade! We never left our house unlocked though. Had to do with the guns
    my father had in the house he always said.

    RAD

    RAD, Feb 13, 2004
  18. ZeeExSixAre

    MisNomer Guest

    thanks for the memory trip! I remember all of those things, do your remember
    licorice pipes and cigars with the little red candy ends? They still make them
    and they still taste the same! Or picking cherries, peaches, apples and plums
    right off the tree? and of course suffering the consequences of eating too much.

    take care
    Liz

    MisNomer, Feb 14, 2004
  19. "scott" <> wrote in message

    > When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber

    or watch submarine races (all illegal today in one form or another), and
    people went steady?

    Is watching submarine races illegal now? Submarine races survived well into
    the 1990s. I watched them on the coast in Santa Cruz, San Mateo, and San
    Francisco counties. Now that I have a daughter I hope they're illegal!

    Try explaining submarine races to someone from another country some time.My
    lovely young tour guide in China who, after inquiring "how do you see them,
    they're under water," and "why do they race," and "do all Americans own
    submarines," finally understood the concept, and would not accompany me to
    the shores of Lake Tai Hu to see them race.

    I think that it's all related to Foveon.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 14, 2004
  20. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > I've found the easiest thing to do each day upon opening the group is
    > quickly glance along the list to see what username is being used today

    (it's
    > pretty obvious), open the first one without reading it and click 'block
    > sender > remove all posts from this sender'. Whoosh, all gone (until
    > tomorrow!) People are slowly learning not to reply to trolls, so

    eventually
    > they'll go somewhere else.

    Good suggestion. Although I don't usually check .digital, I'll be sure to
    do that.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    ZeeExSixAre, Feb 16, 2004