Homework question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FML, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. FML

    FML Guest

    So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
    discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:

    Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?

    So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define
    it literally as "the whole friggin' universe" then duh, the answer is
    clearly: "No". I will point out that we already don't use TCP/IP even to
    connect with satellites or spacecraft.

    If we define universal as "global", then we can argue that TCP/IP being
    the protocol of the internet is already global and therefore universal.

    If we define universal as "the only one", then again, duh, it will never
    be TCP/IP. I will point out security and latency issues to name a few
    reasons why not.

    When I write my paper, I will try not to use words like: "duh" and
    "friggin'" (although I may).

    I'm sure the 24HH has some thoughts on the universality of TCP/IP and I
    would like to get some universal opinions/views on the subject (pun
    intended). (I wonder how I footnote 24HH).

    FML, Jun 24, 2005

  2. FML

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Well Apple has dropped AppleTalk in favor of TCP/IP.

    pcbutts1, Jun 24, 2005

  3. FML

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:10:22 -0500, FML wrote:

    >So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
    > discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:
    >
    >Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?
    >
    >So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define

    <snip>

    That's not the question, so the answer is 'no'.

    Me

    why?, Jun 24, 2005
  4. FML

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It's much to do about *nothing*.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 24, 2005
  5. FML

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:10:22 -0500, FML <> wrote:

    >So, I'm taking a "Networking and Telecomunications" class. The following
    > discussion question is part of my homework due Monday:
    >
    >Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?
    >
    >So, I'm thinking its all about how we define "universal". If we define
    >it literally as "the whole friggin' universe" then duh, the answer is
    >clearly: "No". I will point out that we already don't use TCP/IP even to
    >connect with satellites or spacecraft.
    >
    >If we define universal as "global", then we can argue that TCP/IP being
    >the protocol of the internet is already global and therefore universal.
    >
    >If we define universal as "the only one", then again, duh, it will never
    >be TCP/IP. I will point out security and latency issues to name a few
    >reasons why not.
    >
    >When I write my paper, I will try not to use words like: "duh" and
    >"friggin'" (although I may).
    >
    >I'm sure the 24HH has some thoughts on the universality of TCP/IP and I
    >would like to get some universal opinions/views on the subject (pun
    >intended). (I wonder how I footnote 24HH).

    Try trolling

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jun 25, 2005
  6. FML

    Plato Guest

    FML wrote:

    > Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?

    It that a 30 year old question?

    Plato, Jun 25, 2005
  7. FML

    FML Guest

    Plato spewed forth...

    > FML wrote:
    >>
    >> Will TCP/IP ever be a universal protocol?

    > It that a 30 year old question?

    Yeah. I think this professor hasn't been out and about in a while.
    Or he is lazy and is taking test questions from exams from the 70s.

    FML, Jun 25, 2005