    WS-X4306-GB.

    Currently on a basic layer 2. Is there anything I need to configure on
    these uplink ports on both the 4503 and the 4506?

    tony, Oct 3, 2006

  2. In article <efuk1a$158$>, tony <> wrote:
    >I have a bunch of 4503s with single fiber uplink to a core 4506 with the
    >WS-X4306-GB.

    > Currently on a basic layer 2. Is there anything I need to configure on
    >these uplink ports on both the 4503 and the 4506?

    Your questions (and this appears to be the third time posting
    essentially the same one) have not had enough information for us
    to figure out what you want to *do*.

    It is often unnecessary to configure anything specific for "uplinks".
    Just ensure that you haven't turned -off- spanning tree for
    the links. You can be relatively sure that you will not
    accidently swap a fiber and a random UTP to a host ;-) but
    this is a situation where setting spanning tree to 'portfast'
    might not help, as the switch on the other end of the fiber -is-
    going to start sending you BPDU so you are going to be pushed into
    spanning tree negotiations anyhow. But I don't think portfast
    would hurt.

    Beyond that... it wouldn't hurt to start planning your VLANs
    and change the uplinks into vlan trunks. Unless you have more
    switches than I've been understanding, you don't appear likely
    to be wanting VMPS (for dynamic remote VLAN management), but
    you might start getting into that if you start implementing
    802.1x security at some point.

    Are the uplinks at gigabit, as suggested by the -GB extension to
    the card name? If so then autonegotiation is -mandatory- for
    gigabit so there is no use in hardcoding speed and duplex like you
    might do for a 100 Mb/s fiber.

    Once your needs evolve, you might find it useful to configure QoS
    at some point.

    On our network at work, about 325 active hosts, we haven't needed QoS
    for anything yet... but every year, HQ or various internal people make
    noises about how we're going to put in video to the desktop or VOIP,
    and somehow it not only never gets funded but we aren't even ever asked
    to research or spec it out.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 4, 2006