    cowboyz Guest

    Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    "write protect" this setting?

    cowboyz, Jan 9, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:05:15 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    >"write protect" this setting?

    SpywareGuard stops homepage hijacks:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

    Invisible, Jan 9, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    bambam Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:btlk0p$ro3$:

    > Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there
    > a way to "write protect" this setting?

    If you use Internet Explorer, there is a setting in Spybot-Search &
    Destroy under the Immunize tab, to lock the IE start page.

    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Also, another program that I really like, that will do what you want
    and heaps besides is WinPatrol (get the free version)-

    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    --
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

    bambam, Jan 9, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:05:15 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    >"write protect" this setting?

    1. Click on - taskbar/start menu/run
    2. Copy and paste the following line into the run field:

    regsvr32.exe -u c:\windows\system\regwizc.dll

    3. Click OK. You should get a popup message confirming the successful
    disabling of regwizc.dll. This will diable homepage hijacking

    1. Click on - taskbar/start menu/run
    2. Copy and paste the following line into the run field:

    regsvr32.exe -c c:\windows\system\regwizc.dll

    3. Click OK. You should get a popup message confirming the successful
    re-enabling of regwizc.dll. This puts it back the way it was

    Or so I've been told. :eek:))

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Jan 9, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <btlk0p$ro3$>, says...
    > Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    > "write protect" this setting?

    Don't visit crap sites (porn, warez or other lowlifes)

    Seriously it means you have an unpatched version of IE, that you need to
    go to Windowsupdate.com and get all the patches for IE, or upgrade to a
    later version, or better still, use Mozilla and don't experience the crap
    filled buggy insecure MS browser

    These are caused by security holes in the MS Virtual Machine (JVM) that
    has been patched several times.

    Mainlander, Jan 9, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <_WsLb.16462$>, 97hk66302
    @sneakemail.com says...
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:btlk0p$ro3$:
    >
    > > Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there
    > > a way to "write protect" this setting?

    > If you use Internet Explorer, there is a setting in Spybot-Search &
    > Destroy under the Immunize tab, to lock the IE start page.
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >
    > Also, another program that I really like, that will do what you want
    > and heaps besides is WinPatrol (get the free version)-
    >
    > http://www.winpatrol.com/

    Just dump the crappy insecure Internet Explorer browser

    Mainlander, Jan 9, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:05:15 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    > >"write protect" this setting?
    > >

    > SpywareGuard stops homepage hijacks:
    > http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

    People should inform themselves, the reason this is happening is that he
    has an unpatched version of IE, that should have the latest security
    patches installed to fix the bugs in the MSVM / JVM.

    The best fix of all is to get rid of IE altogether and not have to
    download new security fixes every week.

    Mainlander, Jan 9, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    Lebowski Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    > "write protect" this setting?

    4 things:

    1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest security
    updates.
    2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to weed out
    any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and flush them out
    semi-regularly. Also set your IE security settings for "high" (or "block all
    cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if there are certain web sites
    with which you would be happy to allow cookies.
    3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so there's little
    chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over your computer while
    you're online.
    4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
    Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned on.

    That's about it, really.

    Lebowski, Jan 9, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    Allistar Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
    > "write protect" this setting?

    Knowing which browser you use would help.

    Allistar, Jan 10, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <btlk0p$ro3$>, says...
    >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    >> way to "write protect" this setting?

    > Don't visit crap sites (porn, warez or other lowlifes)

    Is there anything else on the internet?

    cowboyz, Jan 10, 2004
  11. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    >> way to "write protect" this setting?

    > Knowing which browser you use would help.

    MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

    cowboyz, Jan 10, 2004
  12. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    >> way to "write protect" this setting?
    >>

    > 4 things:
    >
    > 1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest
    > security updates.

    Been meaning to but yeah.....

    > 2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to
    > weed out any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and
    > flush them out semi-regularly.

    I do. It turned out to be a crappy little program/game the little woman
    downloaded and plays. something to do with words or something. Full of
    spyware/crapware.

    >Also set your IE security settings for
    > "high" (or "block all cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if
    > there are certain web sites with which you would be happy to allow
    > cookies.

    >3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so
    > there's little chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over
    > your computer while you're online.

    Dont use Nortons or any virus killer actually. I am one of those
    "irresponsible" net users

    > 4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
    > Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned
    > on.

    Don't use a firewall either.

    cowboyz, Jan 10, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    Lebowski Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > Lebowski wrote:
    > > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    > >> way to "write protect" this setting?
    > >>

    > > 4 things:
    > >
    > > 1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest
    > > security updates.

    > Been meaning to but yeah.....
    >
    > > 2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to
    > > weed out any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and
    > > flush them out semi-regularly.

    > I do. It turned out to be a crappy little program/game the little woman
    > downloaded and plays. something to do with words or something. Full of
    > spyware/crapware.
    >
    > >Also set your IE security settings for
    > > "high" (or "block all cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if
    > > there are certain web sites with which you would be happy to allow
    > > cookies.

    > >3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so
    > > there's little chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over
    > > your computer while you're online.

    > Dont use Nortons or any virus killer actually. I am one of those
    > "irresponsible" net users
    >

    > > 4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
    > > Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned
    > > on.

    > Don't use a firewall either.
    >

    > > That's about it, really.

    Each to their own. At least you have female company...who needs a firewall
    or any pc protection when you have someone to keep you warm at
    night...sigh... :(

    Lebowski, Jan 10, 2004
  14. cowboyz

    Lebowski Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > Allistar wrote:
    > > cowboyz wrote:
    > >
    > >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    > >> way to "write protect" this setting?

    > > Knowing which browser you use would help.

    > MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

    Other browsers? Can't be... ;)

    Lebowski, Jan 10, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bto6hq$ot9$>, says...
    > Allistar wrote:
    > > cowboyz wrote:
    > >
    > >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    > >> way to "write protect" this setting?

    > > Knowing which browser you use would help.

    > MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

    Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some new
    hole

    If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
    here.

    Mainlander, Jan 10, 2004
  16. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <bto6hq$ot9$>, says...
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> Knowing which browser you use would help.

    >> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

    > Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some
    > new hole
    >
    > If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
    > here.

    I not complaining about anything. Just asking if the homepage/startpage of
    IE can be locked.

    cowboyz, Jan 10, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <btoiqs$31q$>, says...
    > Mainlander wrote:

    > >> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

    > > Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some
    > > new hole
    > >
    > > If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
    > > here.

    > I not complaining about anything. Just asking if the homepage/startpage of
    > IE can be locked.

    Yes, if you update IE to the latest patched version, it can.

    You have told us that you can't be bothered updating IE.

    Mainlander, Jan 10, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <btoiqs$31q$>, says...
    > > Mainlander wrote:
    > > > In article <bto6hq$ot9$>, says...

    > > > Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some
    > > > new hole
    > > >
    > > > If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
    > > > here.

    > > I not complaining about anything. Just asking if the homepage/startpage

    of
    > > IE can be locked.

    > Yes, if you update IE to the latest patched version, it can.
    >
    > You have told us that you can't be bothered updating IE.

    I never said I couldn't be bothered, I said I haven't got around to it.
    Try some basic comprehension when reading posts.

    cowboyz, Jan 10, 2004
  19. cowboyz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:36:25 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >Lebowski wrote:
    >> "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
    >>> way to "write protect" this setting?

    >> 4 things:
    >>
    >> 1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest
    >> security updates.

    >Been meaning to but yeah.....
    >
    >> 2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to
    >> weed out any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and
    >> flush them out semi-regularly.

    >I do. It turned out to be a crappy little program/game the little woman
    >downloaded and plays. something to do with words or something. Full of
    >spyware/crapware.
    >
    >>Also set your IE security settings for
    >> "high" (or "block all cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if
    >> there are certain web sites with which you would be happy to allow
    >> cookies.

    >>3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so
    >> there's little chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over
    >> your computer while you're online.

    >Dont use Nortons or any virus killer actually. I am one of those
    >"irresponsible" net users
    >

    >> 4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
    >> Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned
    >> on.

    >Don't use a firewall either.
    >

    >> That's about it, really.

    Some people seem to be able to get away with it for years. Then,
    suddenly, WHAM! No machine.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.

    Enkidu, Jan 10, 2004
  20. cowboyz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:31:19 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <bto6hq$ot9$>, says...
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >> > Knowing which browser you use would help.

    >> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

    >Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some new
    >hole

    I used to upgrade Mozilla every time a new release came out. I can't
    say that it is a great deal more stable now than when version 1 came
    out. Sigh! I'd thought until recently that 1.3.1 (my current release)
    was more stable, but three or four crashes recently have caused me to
    revise my opinion. I suppose if you don't mind it crashing every so
    often that Mozilla could be considered an alternative. I use both but
    I can't say that I'm likely to switch completely to Mozilla. It's been
    pretty good on Linux though. Crashes do happen there but less
    frequently. (Don't get me started on Mozilla and mail and newsgroups
    under windows!!)

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 10, 2004