Homemade postcards

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Alan Justice, May 6, 2005.

  1. Alan Justice

    Alan Justice Guest

    From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my photos
    (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    --
    - Alan Justice
    Alan Justice, May 6, 2005

  2. "Alan Justice" <> wrote in message
    news:2wzee.6380$...
    > From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my photos
    > (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    > product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?
    >
    > --
    > - Alan Justice

    Why not "print" the post card part on the back of your prints? IOW, take a
    print, and run it through your computer's printer, and print the post card
    part on the opposite side of the paper from the photograph.
    William Graham, May 6, 2005

  3. Alan Justice

    Crownfield Guest

    Alan Justice wrote:

    > From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my photos
    > (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    > product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    alan, meet google.com.
    google, meet alan

    google has 150,000 answers to your question.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 150,000 for inkjet postcards. (0.27 seconds)

    Photographer's Edge has postcards.
    Office max and office depot also have inkjet postcards

    HP makes them.
    Avery makes them. 8387 White Inkjet PostCards 5.5x4.25 (200-Cards)

    Snapfish does them with your pictures.
    you can even get 250 for 49.99 printed for you at www.vistaprint.com

    <bold>
    google is amazing...
    </bold>

    Crownfield, May 6, 2005
  4. On 2005-05-05 21:12:30 -0400, "Alan Justice" <> said:

    > From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my photos
    > (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    > product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    The Canon CP-220 and CP-330 (the 330 runs on batteries or AC, the 220
    just on AC and is $100 less) prints 4x6 plus 4x8 and 2 1/4 x 3 1/2
    photos as dye sublimation prints on a waterproof, UV protected card
    stock. The 4x6 paper has a postcard back with a place for the stamp and
    all the usual lines. It is really a good little photo printer. I like
    its output far more than ink jet prints and the cards go through the
    mail just fine even if they get wet. Check them out. The CP 220 goes
    for about $149 and the paper runs about 19.99 for a pack of 36 cards
    (and this includes the ink cartridge for those prints). The 4x6 is
    available at Best Buy, Target, CompUSA etc. You may have to go to mail
    order to get the wallet size paper. I saw the 4x8 "Christmas Card"
    stock at Staples. Also, the cartridge that holds the 4x6 paper comes
    with the printer, but you need to buy the wallet size cartridge extra
    if you want to use that.
    --
    Michael Weinstein | "Those who cannot remember the
    Nashua, NH | past are condemned to repeat it."
    Michael Weinstein, May 6, 2005
  5. Alan Justice

    Alan Justice Guest

    Because photo paper isn't heavy enough.

    --
    - Alan Justice

    Alan Justice, May 6, 2005
  6. Alan Justice

    Alan Justice Guest

    "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Justice wrote:
    > >
    > > From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my

    photos
    > > (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    > > product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    > alan, meet google.com.
    > google, meet alan
    >
    > google has 150,000 answers to your question.
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 150,000 for inkjet postcards. (0.27 seconds)
    >
    > Photographer's Edge has postcards.
    > Office max and office depot also have inkjet postcards
    >
    > HP makes them.
    > Avery makes them. 8387 White Inkjet PostCards 5.5x4.25 (200-Cards)
    >
    > Snapfish does them with your pictures.
    > you can even get 250 for 49.99 printed for you at www.vistaprint.com
    >
    > <bold>
    > google is amazing...
    > </bold>
    >

    > > --
    > > - Alan Justice

    So are newsgroups. And I didn't have to wade through 150k answers, most of
    which are self-serving ads. This way I get answers from folks who have
    actual experience with them, which is much more valuable. Thanks for your
    reply.
    Alan Justice, May 6, 2005
  7. "Alan Justice" <> wrote in message
    > Because photo paper isn't heavy enough.

    Not true.....My 4 x 6's straight from the processing lab are just as stiff
    as the post cards I buy at the drug store. Blindfolded, I doubt if I could
    tell the difference.....
    William Graham, May 6, 2005
  8. Alan Justice

    jstech Guest

    try avery 8387. you can print 4 postcards to a sheet. print your picture on
    one side, then print the postcard area (blank then line in middle, and space
    for address) on the other. Both sides are printable.

    jstech, May 6, 2005
  9. Alan Justice

    TAFKAB Guest

    Not sure if you can still get them, but there's a product called Photo A La
    Carte that's a stick-on for 4x6 pix. In other words, you peel the protector
    off the 4x6 post card maker, stick your print on, and that's it. 800 219
    1999 or

    I got the info above from my last pack of these things, so it may be out of
    date.

    TAFKAB, May 7, 2005
  10. "Alan Justice" <> apparently said:

    >From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my photos
    >(tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    >product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    My uncle used to make exactly that: postcards direct from his
    negatives. That was in the 1930's and 1940's. He used a
    3A Graflex camera, size 122 roll film that made negatives just
    right for contact printing as postcards. That, and there were
    manufacturers that made B&W papers for the purpose, with
    the needed stuff printed on the back. I doubt if there's enough
    demand for such a product to make it possible today.
    Dean Van Praotl, May 7, 2005
  11. Alan Justice

    ColPhoenix Guest

    ColPhoenix, May 7, 2005
  12. Alan Justice

    Scrufff Guest

    Good canon photo paper is 11 mil.
    Quite thick enough, and a great idea from Alan.

    Scrufff, May 7, 2005
  13. Alan Justice

    Crownfield Guest

    TAFKAB wrote:

    there is a product / service called google.com

    when asked questions, it gives very good answers.
    asked about post 'cards inkjet',
    it comes back with all sorts of answers.

    Photographer's Edge, office max, office depot
    all have postcards.

    HP and Avery make them.

    you can even get 250 double sided post cards
    printed from your image for 49.95 by a printer.
    Crownfield, May 7, 2005
  14. Alan Justice

    Burt Guest

    If you are using them yourself and would consider paper stock that is not
    quite as stiff as a commercial post card you could use something like Epson
    double sided matte paper. It is thicker than the heavy matte paper that is
    coated on one side and makes decent prints (not as vivid as satin or glossy
    paper) Epson glossy photo paper can be printed on and written on the back
    side. Not as heavy as a postcard, and there is a very light repeat logo
    that hardly shows. There are several heavier weights of card stock like
    Wasau bristol or cover that are available at paper firms that cater to
    printers. Since they are uncoated the prints are less vivid than when
    printed on coated or glossy stock. If you have a paper cutter any of these
    papers can be precut to 4x6 (three per sheet) and printed borderless if your
    printer will do borderless prints. Lots of choices in addition to the
    packaged postcard stock you can purchase ready to use, and many of the
    choices are much less expensive than the pre-prepared ones. I don't think
    there is any legal requirement to print the usual back-of-the postcard
    design on the message side. A friend of mine simply makes color prints on
    glossy paper, writes his message on the back side in the same space that a
    preprinted postcard provides, adds an address and stamp and sends it off.
    Unless you are trying to make your cards look like they came off the
    postcard rack at a tourist shop you might just use one of the paper stocks
    that I suggested or one you find yourself and Keep It Simple - the Kiss
    concept!

    Burt, May 7, 2005
  15. Alan Justice

    Scrufff Guest

    > TAFKAB wrote:
    > >

    > there is a product / service called google.com

    Why don't you google "piss off".
    Scrufff, May 7, 2005
  16. Alan Justice

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:12:30 +0000, Alan Justice wrote:

    > From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my
    > photos (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone
    > know of a product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    Staples has them in water resistant glossy or matt finish. I was using
    them all the time when my daughter was overseas.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 7, 2005
  17. Alan Justice

    TAFKAB Guest

    > TAFKAB wrote:
    >>

    > there is a product / service called google.com

    No shit. Useless sometimes, too. There's also a product/service called
    public forums, where innocent users can ask questions, and then suffer a
    barrage of wise ass answers from smarmy, know it all, smug and uppity
    assholes. This is true. I've seen it happen.

    > when asked questions, it gives very good answers.

    And, it skips the sarcasm.

    > asked about post 'cards inkjet',
    > it comes back with all sorts of answers.
    >
    > Photographer's Edge, office max, office depot
    > all have postcards.
    >
    > HP and Avery make them.

    If you're going to provide an answer, provide a link to a specific product.
    It helps.

    > you can even get 250 double sided post cards
    > printed from your image for 49.95 by a printer.

    Where?
    TAFKAB, May 7, 2005
  18. Alan Justice

    Crownfield Guest

    Scrufff wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > > TAFKAB wrote:
    > > >

    > > there is a product / service called google.com

    > Why don't you google "piss off".

    you more inspire piss on.
    Crownfield, May 7, 2005
  19. Alan Justice

    Crownfield Guest

    TAFKAB wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > > TAFKAB wrote:
    > >>

    > > there is a product / service called google.com

    > No shit. Useless sometimes, too. There's also a product/service called
    > public forums, where innocent users can ask questions, and then suffer a
    > barrage of wise ass answers from smarmy, know it all, smug and uppity
    > assholes. This is true. I've seen it happen.

    assholes always want easy answers without having to think.

    > > when asked questions, it gives very good answers.

    > And, it skips the sarcasm.
    >
    > > asked about post 'cards inkjet',
    > > it comes back with all sorts of answers.
    > >
    > > Photographer's Edge, office max, office depot
    > > all have postcards.
    > >
    > > HP and Avery make them.

    > If you're going to provide an answer, provide a link to a specific product.
    > It helps.
    >

    > > you can even get 250 double sided post cards
    > > printed from your image for 49.95 by a printer.

    > Where?

    ask google for ' inkjet postcards '
    it really is easy.
    Crownfield, May 7, 2005
  20. On 2005-05-06 20:26:14 -0400, Dean Van Praotl <> said:

    > "Alan Justice" <> apparently said:
    >
    >> From Photographer's Edge I buy blank note cards in which to put my photos
    >> (tri-fold with windows and tape: very nice). But does anyone know of a
    >> product that is a postcard ready to be printed with my photos?

    > My uncle used to make exactly that: postcards direct from his
    > negatives. That was in the 1930's and 1940's. He used a
    > 3A Graflex camera, size 122 roll film that made negatives just right
    > for contact printing as postcards. That, and there were
    > manufacturers that made B&W papers for the purpose, with
    > the needed stuff printed on the back. I doubt if there's enough
    > demand for such a product to make it possible today.

    Canon CP-220 and CP-330 printers are dye sub printers and their 4x6
    paper IS on card stock with the postcard info on the back. They are
    waterproof too.
    Michael Weinstein, May 8, 2005