    software/hardware for accomplishing this feat? Please respond to
    email address, as well. Thanks!!
    Marty T
    Marty Troum, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Marty Troum

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:59:50 -0500, Marty Troum <>
    wrote:

    >I( am interested in creating a demo DVD with scenes from various
    >movies for demo-ing my home theater system. Any advice on best
    >software/hardware for accomplishing this feat? Please respond to
    >email address, as well. Thanks!!

    DVD Shrink will decrypt, clip out the parts you want and export to an
    ISO file or VOB package. If you do not want menus, then you can use
    the chapter marks that Shrink inserts.

    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

    TDA will allow you to create menus and compose the final DVD.

    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

    DVD Decrypter can be used to burn the DVD.

    --

    Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act:

    "Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to
    originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are
    transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without
    disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or
    harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined
    under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
    Bob, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Marty Troum

    Marty Troum Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:09:04 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:59:50 -0500, Marty Troum <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I( am interested in creating a demo DVD with scenes from various
    >>movies for demo-ing my home theater system. Any advice on best
    >>software/hardware for accomplishing this feat? Please respond to
    >>email address, as well. Thanks!!

    >DVD Shrink will decrypt, clip out the parts you want and export to an
    >ISO file or VOB package. If you do not want menus, then you can use
    >the chapter marks that Shrink inserts.
    >
    >http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    >
    >TDA will allow you to create menus and compose the final DVD.
    >
    >http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html
    >
    >DVD Decrypter can be used to burn the DVD.

    Great! Thanks for the quick response. Very helpful. Finished the
    downloading already. Now, how about recommending a good, external
    DVD burner to complete the job? I'd prefer something I can hook up to
    my laptop with USB connection. I currently have a built-in CD
    burner/DVD reader.
    Marty
    Marty Troum, Jan 13, 2006
  4. Marty Troum

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:38:12 -0500, Marty Troum <>
    wrote:

    >>>I( am interested in creating a demo DVD with scenes from various
    >>>movies for demo-ing my home theater system. Any advice on best
    >>>software/hardware for accomplishing this feat? Please respond to
    >>>email address, as well. Thanks!!

    >>DVD Shrink will decrypt, clip out the parts you want and export to an
    >>ISO file or VOB package. If you do not want menus, then you can use
    >>the chapter marks that Shrink inserts.

    >>http://www.dvdshrink.org/

    >>TDA will allow you to create menus and compose the final DVD.

    >>http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

    >>DVD Decrypter can be used to burn the DVD.

    >Great! Thanks for the quick response. Very helpful. Finished the
    >downloading already.

    I am glad to help prevent the Ulead shills from talking anyone into
    that Total Piece of Shit MF4.

    You will find TDA a lot of fun to use. Just be sure to play with
    everything because a lot of the features are not in your face. Be sure
    to tell it how you want the menu to behave.

    When you import clips, be sure to click on "new title" in the left
    window for each one to get a thumbnail for the menu.

    The way to get a startup clip is to make it the first title and then
    hide the thumbnail in the top left corner. Tell TDA to start the DVD
    with the first menu item.

    I use Moya's starburst sequence from Farscape and it has a real
    dramatic effect on the first-time viewer. If you want I can load the
    MPG onto YouSendIt. It's all neatly edited and synchronized.

    >Now, how about recommending a good, external
    >DVD burner to complete the job? I'd prefer something I can hook up to
    >my laptop with USB connection. I currently have a built-in CD
    >burner/DVD reader.

    The most widely-used burner is the NEC series. The latest version is
    the 3550 in the US and 4550 in Europe. My son and I have the previous
    verion 3540.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

    I do not know how it will work in an external enclosure.

    Then there is the matter of media. According to a lot of expert
    research at CDFreaks, the number one and only media is Taiyo Yuden.
    Don't listen to the Ritek shills who claim their brand is as good - it
    may have been a year ago but it is not now. Every manufacturer except
    TY has succumbed to the overheated marketplace and are selling either
    pure crap or a crap shoot.

    But don't take my word for it, check with CDFreaks.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146146

    You can get TY discs at

    rima.com
    supermediastore.com
    meritline.com

    It is advised that you buy 8x and burn at 8x. If you get 16x then burn
    at 12x. But the time difference is so slight that I get 8x. I just
    bought a spindle of 100 TYG02 8x -Rs at Rima for $32 + $5 shipping, no
    sales tax. They had the best price.

    I keep my cart loaded with that same order on all three sites so I can
    check out quickly and find out the price. They compete with one
    another so you want to check all three before you buy. I also got ten
    30-disc empty cake boxes for $6 at Rima. Those come in handy for
    storing TV series like BSG, et al.

    Bob, Jan 13, 2006
  5. Marty Troum

    Alpha Guest

    > The most widely-used burner is the NEC series. The latest version is
    > the 3550 in the US and 4550 in Europe. My son and I have the previous
    > verion 3540.

    Nonsense. The most widely used burners are the Pioneer A07-10 series.
    Alpha, Jan 13, 2006
  6. Marty Troum

    Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >> The most widely-used burner is the NEC series. The latest version is
    >> the 3550 in the US and 4550 in Europe. My son and I have the previous
    >> verion 3540.

    > Nonsense. The most widely used burners are the Pioneer A07-10 series.

    The external version is here:

    http://www.videoguys.com/pioneer.html

    I can also suggest the Plextor external series.
    Alpha, Jan 13, 2006
  7. Marty Troum

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:45:54 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >> The most widely-used burner is the NEC series. The latest version is
    >> the 3550 in the US and 4550 in Europe. My son and I have the previous
    >> verion 3540.

    >Nonsense. The most widely used burners are the Pioneer A07-10 series.

    Not according to CDFreaks.

    Bob, Jan 14, 2006
  8. Marty Troum

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:50:33 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >I can also suggest the Plextor external series.

    Plextor has gone downhill badly in recent times.

    Check it out on CDFreaks.

    Bob, Jan 14, 2006
  9. Marty Troum

    Marty Troum Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:29:20 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >I use Moya's starburst sequence from Farscape and it has a real
    >dramatic effect on the first-time viewer. If you want I can load the
    >MPG onto YouSendIt. It's all neatly edited and synchronized.

    I just ordered TDA from Amazon.com and would appreciate your sending
    the file you mention above. Please contact me by email at
    and we can talk about my project at length.
    Thanks.
    Marty
    Marty Troum, Jan 17, 2006