  1. bob urz

    bob urz Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Jeff Strickland, Mar 13, 2012

  3. bob urz

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    news:jjo76r$6jb$...

    > "bob urz" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/t...ansmitters-creates-a-stir-in-austin.html?_r=1
    >>
    >> bob

    > I saw that story in the paper, or on TV, whatever.
    >
    > My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna
    > hang out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan
    > working out for anybody.

    Me either.
    Julie Bove, Mar 17, 2012
  4. bob urz

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > bob urz wrote ...
    >
    >> http://www. nytimes. com/2012/03/13/technology/homeless-as-wi-fi-transmitters-creates-a-stir-in-austin.html?_r=1

    > My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna hang
    > out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan working
    > out for anybody.

    And, of course, we users really want roaming hotspots so we'll never
    know where they are hour by hour and day by day. Forget looking up the
    hotspot at a wifi site. When you find one, it's moving. Are there a
    lot of laptop users in the slums?

    Maybe they figure the really dumb laptop users will roam into those
    areas and suddenly turn up dead after flashing their electronics gear to
    the penniless. Something like proactive reduction of idiot genes.
    Maybe they're working with the Darwin Awards site.

    And, of course, these homeless folk would never think about hocking the
    gear to get some ready cash.

    Maybe the real intent is to give them the equivalent of ankle bracelets.
    If the hotspot doesn't move in 18 hours they figure they know where to
    send the morgue to pickup a corpse.
    VanguardLH, Mar 17, 2012
  5. bob urz

    meagain Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> bob urz wrote ...
    >>
    >>> http://www. nytimes. com/2012/03/13/technology/homeless-as-wi-fi-transmitters-creates-a-stir-in-austin.html?_r=1

    >> My question is, do they really think that people with laptops are gonna hang
    >> out by the dumpster or the freeway overpass? I don't see this plan working
    >> out for anybody.

    > And, of course, we users really want roaming hotspots so we'll never
    > know where they are hour by hour and day by day. Forget looking up the
    > hotspot at a wifi site. When you find one, it's moving. Are there a
    > lot of laptop users in the slums?
    >
    > Maybe they figure the really dumb laptop users will roam into those
    > areas and suddenly turn up dead after flashing their electronics gear to
    > the penniless. Something like proactive reduction of idiot genes.
    > Maybe they're working with the Darwin Awards site.
    >
    > And, of course, these homeless folk would never think about hocking the
    > gear to get some ready cash.

    :)

    The real intent is to have them fill in 4G for events, flash mobs,
    conventions, whatever. The wearable access points are cheaper
    and easier to reposition than trucks.
    meagain, Mar 17, 2012