Homechoice - Shortens IP address leases to cut off voip calls?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by 7, Jun 4, 2006.

  1. 7

    7 Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Homechoice's IP address
    > leases. When I'm using Skype or Bittorrent Homechoice seems to increase
    > the frequency of lease renewal (approx. 5-10 minutes) for my IP
    > address. That means that my Skype calls get cutoff and I have to
    > redial, and also Bittorrent needs to reconnect to all it's peers (which
    > means downloads take longer). When I am not using Skype/Bittorrent the
    > lease renewal happens far less frequently (hours or days).
    >
    > The cynic in me thinks that Homechoice is using this to discourage
    > people from using Skype (so they make normal calls that Homechoice can
    > charge for) and to throttle bandwidth for Bittorrent users. Has anyone
    > else run into this problem? I'm going to take it up with them, but I'd
    > like to hear of any similar experiences.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Simon

    You need to share this question with uk.telecom.voip for a wider interested
    audience.
    7, Jun 4, 2006

  2. 7 wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Homechoice's IP address
    >> leases. When I'm using Skype or Bittorrent Homechoice seems to increase
    >> the frequency of lease renewal (approx. 5-10 minutes) for my IP
    >> address. That means that my Skype calls get cutoff and I have to
    >> redial, and also Bittorrent needs to reconnect to all it's peers (which
    >> means downloads take longer). When I am not using Skype/Bittorrent the
    >> lease renewal happens far less frequently (hours or days).
    >>
    >> The cynic in me thinks that Homechoice is using this to discourage
    >> people from using Skype (so they make normal calls that Homechoice can
    >> charge for) and to throttle bandwidth for Bittorrent users. Has anyone
    >> else run into this problem? I'm going to take it up with them, but I'd
    >> like to hear of any similar experiences.

    It's only a problem if you're being forced to change IP address every
    time you renew. If it gives you back the same IP address each time then
    lease renewal is transparent and shouldn't affect anything currently in
    progress.

    --
    Dave
    mail da (without the space)
    Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}, Jun 4, 2006

  3. 7

    Paul Cupis Guest

    > wrote:
    >> I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Homechoice's IP address
    >> leases. When I'm using Skype or Bittorrent Homechoice seems to increase
    >> the frequency of lease renewal (approx. 5-10 minutes) for my IP
    >> address. That means that my Skype calls get cutoff and I have to
    >> redial, and also Bittorrent needs to reconnect to all it's peers (which
    >> means downloads take longer). When I am not using Skype/Bittorrent the
    >> lease renewal happens far less frequently (hours or days).
    >>
    >> The cynic in me thinks that Homechoice is using this to discourage
    >> people from using Skype (so they make normal calls that Homechoice can
    >> charge for) and to throttle bandwidth for Bittorrent users. Has anyone
    >> else run into this problem? I'm going to take it up with them, but I'd
    >> like to hear of any similar experiences.

    Assuming that they are doing what you say for the reasons you suggest,
    that is very clever.
    Paul Cupis, Jun 4, 2006
  4. 7

    Si Guest

    Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} wrote:

    > It's only a problem if you're being forced to change IP address every
    > time you renew. If it gives you back the same IP address each time then
    > lease renewal is transparent and shouldn't affect anything currently in
    > progress.
    >
    > --

    Yep. That's what they're doing; forcing a new IP address onto me every
    5-10 minutes. It also wreaks havoc with the dynamic DNS service I use
    to host my website from home. The DNS updater really struggles to keep
    up with frequently changing IP address.
    Si, Jun 9, 2006
  5. 7

    B. Wright Guest

    In uk.telecom.voip Paul Cupis <> wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Homechoice's IP address
    > >> leases. When I'm using Skype or Bittorrent Homechoice seems to increase
    > >> the frequency of lease renewal (approx. 5-10 minutes) for my IP
    > >> address. That means that my Skype calls get cutoff and I have to
    > >> redial, and also Bittorrent needs to reconnect to all it's peers (which
    > >> means downloads take longer). When I am not using Skype/Bittorrent the
    > >> lease renewal happens far less frequently (hours or days).
    > >>

    > Assuming that they are doing what you say for the reasons you suggest,
    > that is very clever.

    Not really clever, just stupid. The only thing a connection
    that changes IP every 5-10 minutes would be good for is the loading of
    small web pages. This would break a lot of other things, not just VoIP,
    such as: long file transfers, an ssh connection, any type of instant
    messaging client that relies on a constant connection, a VPN
    connection, etc...

    If they really are doing that to you, it's time to look for a
    new provider.
    B. Wright, Jun 15, 2006
  6. 7

    Paul Cupis Guest

    B. Wright wrote:

    >> Assuming that they are doing what you say for the reasons you suggest,
    >> that is very clever.

    > Not really clever, just stupid. The only thing a connection
    > that changes IP every 5-10 minutes would be good for is the loading of
    > small web pages.

    Small web pages -> pages that load in less than, say, 1 minute? That
    will be most.

    > This would break a lot of other things, not just VoIP,
    > such as: long file transfers, an ssh connection, any type of instant
    > messaging client that relies on a constant connection, a VPN
    > connection, etc...

    Yes, by design. The OP suggests that they do this with the explicit
    intent of disrupting VoIP, P2P etc.

    > If they really are doing that to you, it's time to look for a
    > new provider.

    No argument here.
    Paul Cupis, Jun 15, 2006
  7. B. Wright wrote:

    >> Assuming that they are doing what you say for the reasons you suggest,
    >> that is very clever.

    > Not really clever, just stupid. The only thing a connection
    > that changes IP every 5-10 minutes would be good for is the loading of
    > small web pages. This would break a lot of other things, not just VoIP,
    > such as: long file transfers, an ssh connection, any type of instant
    > messaging client that relies on a constant connection, a VPN
    > connection, etc...

    Not to mention online gaming, streaming audio/video (which is a
    capability a lot of ISPs seem to try to sell their service on).

    I'd have said that excluding web browsing (which it would be an
    annoyance, remembering that with windows the socket manager will in this
    event close all sockets and report an error to the applications) this
    will interrupt just about anything you use.

    A lot of home users like sending big emails, like films etc. (and bloody
    office staff), This would more-or-less be impossible.

    I can't think of any application where this wouldn't be an annoyance,
    even web browsing, if every 5 to 10 minutes the page you are trying to
    load will bring up an error message. (some people go to more than 1 site
    every few minutes)

    > If they really are doing that to you, it's time to look for a
    > new provider.

    Incredible that anyone would do that, but agreed.
    Thomas Kenyon, Jun 22, 2006