Home Wireless Networking - Netgear Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ABC, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. ABC

    ABC Guest

    Hi-

    My first post to the group. Apologies if this is something that's been
    addressed recently.

    My problem: Trying to figure out how to get my laptop to find my desktop on
    a home wireless network, and vice-versa.

    Structure: Both machines are Dell, relatively new (< 18 months old) and
    running XP Home. Both machines connect wirelessly to a cable internet
    connection using a Netgear router (MR814v2). The laptop uses a wireless card
    that is internal; the desktop uses as external Netgear antennae (MA111).
    Both machines have no trouble accessing the internet through the router.

    Question: How do I get the two machines to find one another? I've tried
    running network setup wizard through Windows; it seems to go through all the
    steps appropriately, but I've no idea how to tell each machine where to look
    for the other.

    Can someone point me to a step-by-step explanation of how to make this
    connection, or give me a quick explanation here? I'd be grateful.

    Thanks,

    Kelley

    ABC, Jan 14, 2005

  2. www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 14, 2005

  3. ABC

    ABC Guest

    Thanks. I found a similar thread back on 1/10 and was about to repost and
    let anyone who might be tempted to respond in detail to hold off a bit.

    I'll work through your guidelines and report back.

    Kelley

    ABC, Jan 14, 2005
  4. ABC

    ABC Guest

    The issue was the Norton firewall. I didn't, btw, have to uninstall it. I
    just ran the Norton internet zones wizard and it figured it out on its own.

    ABC, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Glad to hear that! Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
    link is in the lower left corner)

    Thanks for the update!
    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 15, 2005
  6. ABC

    ABC Guest

    Happy to sign in. I meant to do it before but was preoccupied with solving
    the problem. Thanks once again!

    ABC, Jan 15, 2005
  7. Thanks but you made it private so no one could see it...

    Carey Holzman, Jan 15, 2005