Home wireless network with vonage

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DIGS, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. DIGS

    DIGS Guest

    Have a problem with a close friend or soon to be X with their wireless home
    network with vonage and basic home net working file sharing not working. I
    have done allot of basic trouble shooting (that I know of unless I missed
    something) But with this set up I am having really problems and would like
    to get the laptop back to the default for the wireless to work again secure
    or not secure.

    2 Pc 1 laptop, 1 desk top, Both XP home addition.

    - Cable line in,
    - Roadrunner Modem ,
    - To Vonage box, (2 lines from Vonage 1 going to PC the other going to
    router)
    - Netgear wgr614 ver 4 Wireless router (The Netgear router was not locked
    down and was getting to the internet without any problems)
    - Desk top PC Desk top (plugged into the Vonage box with a IP address of
    192.168.15.? and is not able to get to router)
    - Laptop PC (getting to the internet with very minimal problems and
    sometimes dropping but not much this was due to some locations in the house)

    Secured the Netgear router WEP Security Encryption. (Used Manual)
    Network switched around as well

    - Cable line in,
    - Roadrunner Modem ,
    - To Vonage
    - To Netgear wgr614 ver 4 Wireless router.
    - Line to Desk top PC Desk top PC
    - Laptop PC set up fine

    After securing the Netgear wireless router correctly via the manual, the
    network icon notification on the bottom right has a red X and states that it
    is off line. Their is another icon for the HP wireless is connected. You
    are still able to get to the internet and then keeps bumping off and then
    you cant tell if it is signed back in till you keep reloading a page.

    You do the repair and It will not connect

    Something is apparently wrong and the router was set back to the default
    settings. The same thing is still happening. The laptop WEP network key is
    not listed and is open on the laptop. All settings are set back to the
    original settings.

    Is there a certain set up or some way to get this working without any
    problems. Any help can would be great.

    Is this type of router causing a problem or known issues.

    Should a new router be used such as

    File Sharing:
    PC is set up with windows set up wizard for a workgroup on 2 pc and file
    sharing is not working prior to any of the above stated. The laptop is not
    seeing the desktop shared folders nor is the desktop seeing the laptop
    shared folders. File and print sharing is turned on and was not an issue
    prior to 4 months ago when vonage was added in. (Maybe) Not able to get to
    by router IP address either (Example \\192.168.0.2 or desktop IP
    \\192.168.0.3)

    what would happen if I went to system restore and tried to go to an earlier
    day and reset it. Would that work???

    Any suggestions or help will be useful as research and trouble shooting has
    been done for several days.
    DIGS, Aug 19, 2006

  2. DIGS <>, the elderly-drifter and throwaway bufty-boy
    who likes hideous one-stick drum improvisation with warthogs, and whose
    partner is a bimbo with a dirty fuzzy cup, wrote in
    <TOrFg.38547$>:
> [...]
    > problems. Any help can would be great.
    >
    > Is this type of router causing a problem or known issues.
    >
    > Should a new router be used such as
    >
    > File Sharing:
    > PC is set up with windows set up wizard for a workgroup on 2 pc and
    > file sharing is not working prior to any of the above stated. The
    > laptop is not seeing the desktop shared folders nor is the desktop
    > seeing the laptop shared folders. File and print sharing is turned
    > on and was not an issue prior to 4 months ago when vonage was added
    > in. (Maybe) Not able to get to by router IP address either (Example
    > \\192.168.0.2 or desktop IP \\192.168.0.3)
    >
    > what would happen if I went to system restore and tried to go to an
    > earlier day and reset it. Would that work???
    >
    > Any suggestions or help will be useful as research and trouble
    > shooting has been done for several days.

    Have somebody who can write in legible English post for you.
    Your inability to convey what you mean is likely to waste much more of your
    time as well as the time of whichever stupid **** tries to help you based on
    whatever it was you tried to post above.

    HTH

    --
    Lunch was nice;
    Beastly used cat litter chips and gorilla bowel seasoning accentuated by
    Banned Apache, Aug 19, 2006

  3. DIGS

    DIGS Guest

    thanks

    "Banned Apache" <> wrote
    in message

    DIGS, Aug 19, 2006
  4. DIGS enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > thanks
    >
    > "Banned Apache" <>
    > wrote in message

    Not to be rude, but who ever around the world should know what "vonage"
    means?
    _Please_ do not do the TOFU in newsgroups (TOp Post FUll reply). You are
    expected to write your comments in the order they will be read, not the
    other way round.

    Now just a wild guess: you have two network devices both trying to serve
    DHCP, with class C subnets of different 3rd byte. Depending upon which
    one answers first.
    Walter Mautner, Aug 19, 2006
  5. DIGS

    DIGS Guest

    Thanks Walter Yes 2 network devices on 1 network with 2 different IP address
    1 for one router and one for the other.

    Also I had re-written to take care of 2 different problems since I was not
    able to send across the correct information 2 much is not good I guess

    Also the laptop is back up and the router needed to get reset

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    DIGS, Aug 19, 2006
  6. DIGS enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > Thanks Walter Yes 2 network devices on 1 network with 2 different IP
    > address 1 for one router and one for the other.
    >
    > Also I had re-written to take care of 2 different problems since I was
    > not able to send across the correct information 2 much is not good I
    > guess
    >
    > Also the laptop is back up and the router needed to get reset

    You should then set up the wireless router in "accesspoint" mode, by
    turning off it's dhcp server and changing the admin interface to the
    same subnet (remember with 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.0 networks,
    different "x" means a different network) your main router has, but
    reserve that address on the main router.
    I cannot give more info since I don't know anything about that "vonage
    box".
    Walter Mautner, Aug 19, 2006