Home Wireless Network Set Up- What do I need? (Newbie Q)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone. I have never set up a home network before, and have some basic
    questions. I already own 1 computer (Dell Dimension 4700, Windows XP Pro w/
    SP2 Intel 4 (3.4), Comcast Cable Internet, 1 GB RAM) and I am planning on
    purchasing a new desktop to make a 2-computer wireless network in my home
    (just for general home use, nothing too demanding except the Sims 2 game).
    So, here are my 4 questions:
    1. Would I have to buy another Windows OS for the 2nd computer or will I be
    able to use my existing XP Pro on the new computer since it's on the same
    network?

    2. I would need a wireless router, correct? Any suggestions?

    3. Would the new computer have to be a Dell, also? I kinda wanted to go with
    something else? Would the processors and hardware have to be similiar (ie I
    wanted a new computer with an Athlon processor)? Or can I generally get
    anything I please?

    4. Finally, just any general tips? Any other hardware/software/ specific
    computer brands that are recommended for this?
    Thanks in advance, I'd be grateful to you for helping me set up a "good"
    network in my home!
    Jeff
    =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=, Jun 13, 2006

  2. oops. Also needed to know if I would have to buy a new printer also. Thanks
    again!
    Jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=, Jun 13, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=

    Malke Guest

    Herbo13 wrote:

    Answers inline:

    > Hi everyone. I have never set up a home network before, and have some
    > basic questions. I already own 1 computer (Dell Dimension 4700,
    > Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 Intel 4 (3.4), Comcast Cable Internet, 1 GB RAM)
    > and I am planning on purchasing a new desktop to make a 2-computer
    > wireless network in my home (just for general home use, nothing too
    > demanding except the Sims 2 game). So, here are my 4 questions:

    > 1. Would I have to buy another Windows OS for the 2nd computer or will
    > I be able to use my existing XP Pro on the new computer since it's on
    > the same network?

    Yes, you would need to buy a new copy of XP if you don't buy an OEM
    machine with the operating system preinstalled. Each computer running a
    Windows operating system needs to have its own licensed copy.

    > 2. I would need a wireless router, correct? Any suggestions?

    Yes, you would need a wireless router. I've had good luck with Linksys
    routers, others hate them. I wouldn't buy a D-Link; others like them.

    Do some research:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wireless router reviews&btnG=Google Search

    > 3. Would the new computer have to be a Dell, also? I kinda wanted to
    > go with something else? Would the processors and hardware have to be
    > similiar (ie I wanted a new computer with an Athlon processor)? Or can
    > I generally get anything I please?

    The new computer doesn't have to be anything like your current desktop.
    It doesn't even have to run Windows! My current home network consists
    of 5 XP Pro/Home boxen, one Win2k box, and two SUSE 10.1 machines.

    > 4. Finally, just any general tips? Any other hardware/software/
    > specific computer brands that are recommended for this?
    > Thanks in advance, I'd be grateful to you for helping me set up a
    > "good" network in my home!

    Here are some links to help you with networking:

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    (you don't need to buy Linksys, of course - this is a good site for
    learning though)

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/#NetworkingSecurity

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Jun 13, 2006
  4. Wow, Thanks so much Malke, for the info! You've been a great help!
    Jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=, Jun 13, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=

    Lem Guest

    Herbo13 wrote:
    > Wow, Thanks so much Malke, for the info! You've been a great help!
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Herbo13 wrote:
    >>
    >> Answers inline:
    >>
    >>> Hi everyone. I have never set up a home network before, and have some
    >>> basic questions. I already own 1 computer (Dell Dimension 4700,
    >>> Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 Intel 4 (3.4), Comcast Cable Internet, 1 GB RAM)
    >>> and I am planning on purchasing a new desktop to make a 2-computer
    >>> wireless network in my home (just for general home use, nothing too
    >>> demanding except the Sims 2 game). So, here are my 4 questions:
    >>> 1. Would I have to buy another Windows OS for the 2nd computer or will
    >>> I be able to use my existing XP Pro on the new computer since it's on
    >>> the same network?

    >> Yes, you would need to buy a new copy of XP if you don't buy an OEM
    >> machine with the operating system preinstalled. Each computer running a
    >> Windows operating system needs to have its own licensed copy.
    >>> 2. I would need a wireless router, correct? Any suggestions?

    >> Yes, you would need a wireless router. I've had good luck with Linksys
    >> routers, others hate them. I wouldn't buy a D-Link; others like them.
    >>
    >> Do some research:
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wireless router reviews&btnG=Google Search
    >>
    >>> 3. Would the new computer have to be a Dell, also? I kinda wanted to
    >>> go with something else? Would the processors and hardware have to be
    >>> similiar (ie I wanted a new computer with an Athlon processor)? Or can
    >>> I generally get anything I please?

    >> The new computer doesn't have to be anything like your current desktop.
    >> It doesn't even have to run Windows! My current home network consists
    >> of 5 XP Pro/Home boxen, one Win2k box, and two SUSE 10.1 machines.
    >>
    >>> 4. Finally, just any general tips? Any other hardware/software/
    >>> specific computer brands that are recommended for this?
    >>> Thanks in advance, I'd be grateful to you for helping me set up a
    >>> "good" network in my home!

    >> Here are some links to help you with networking:
    >>
    >> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    >> (you don't need to buy Linksys, of course - this is a good site for
    >> learning though)
    >>
    >> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
    >>
    >> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    >>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/#NetworkingSecurity
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    And no, you won't need a new printer (unless you want to have two --
    e.g., a fast b&w laser printer and a color inkjet).
    Lem, Jun 13, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=

    Malke Guest

    Lem wrote:

    > And no, you won't need a new printer (unless you want to have two --
    > e.g., a fast b&w laser printer and a color inkjet).

    Thanks, Lem. I missed that part of Jeff's post. What I like is to have a
    network laser printer (I have a Dell 1700n) and then a few local
    inkjets for those rare times when we need to print in color. I've also
    put a few Dell color laser printers in for clients and they seem quite
    nice, too.

    Malke
    Malke, Jun 13, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=

    Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYm8xMw==?=

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008