    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    IRO, May 24, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm gathering info about the fine art of video editing. Could anyone
    > familiar with the software available to Windows systems for home/school
    > purposes enlighten me?
    >
    > I'm assuming that we have a digital camcorder and suitable computer. I
    > gather there are oodles of software out there, what titles are the
    > popular one? Scope, limitations, advantages etc?

    Assuming you have a firewire card, it will probably come with a stripped
    edition of an editing package such as Ulead Studio.

    Windows XP includes Windows Movie Maker.

    Adobe Premiere is available for the PC platform, but very expensive.

    Patrick Dunford, May 24, 2004

  3. IRO

    Mike_P Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    > I'm gathering info about the fine art of video editing. Could anyone
    > familiar with the software available to Windows systems for home/school
    > purposes enlighten me?
    >
    > I'm assuming that we have a digital camcorder and suitable computer. I
    > gather there are oodles of software out there, what titles are the
    > popular one? Scope, limitations, advantages etc?
    >

    > ------
    > ~IRO
    > My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    > REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    Ian, are you trolling... A confirmed Apple man like you would surely not be
    able to look past iMovie ?

    Mike_P, May 24, 2004
  4. IRO

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    > I'm gathering info about the fine art of video editing. Could anyone
    > familiar with the software available to Windows systems for home/school
    > purposes enlighten me?
    >
    > I'm assuming that we have a digital camcorder and suitable computer. I
    > gather there are oodles of software out there, what titles are the
    > popular one? Scope, limitations, advantages etc?
    >

    > ------
    > ~IRO

    The best end results is to finish up with your home movies on a CDR in
    either VCD or the slightly better SVCD formats. You can then play them back
    on almost any CDR compatible DVD player.
    DivX is a good format to capture in for detail, giving a compression of
    around 7 to 1 on average for best results. For short videos you don't need
    any compression at all, just plenty of drive space.
    Cyberlink Power Producer will create a DVD, VCD, SVCD, or a very short not
    very useful Mini DVD, out of almost any video format file. Play them back
    on almost any PC, as a special auto run player can be included on the VCD no
    codecs or special software required on the PC that plays it back. Or shove
    it in a DVD player.
    We covered editing videos only a few days ago, with different software, the
    thread should still be around. Including how to beat audio sync problems.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 24, 2004
  5. IRO

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mike_P" <> wrote:

    > > I'm gathering info about the fine art of video editing. Could anyone
    > > familiar with the software available to Windows systems for home/school
    > > purposes enlighten me?
    > >
    > > I'm assuming that we have a digital camcorder and suitable computer. I
    > > gather there are oodles of software out there, what titles are the
    > > popular one? Scope, limitations, advantages etc?

    > Ian, are you trolling... A confirmed Apple man like you would surely not be
    > able to look past iMovie ?

    I'm after info for a Press article. I'm not blind to the fact that
    Windows users can do home video editing, I was after what are the most
    versatile, reasonably priced, easy to use programs* available to the
    platform.

    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    * you know, like iMovie....

    IRO, May 24, 2004
  6. IRO

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    > Assuming you have a firewire card, it will probably come with a stripped
    > edition of an editing package such as Ulead Studio.
    >
    > Windows XP includes Windows Movie Maker.
    >
    > Adobe Premiere is available for the PC platform, but very expensive.

    Thanks, Patrick, what are they like to use?

    I had gathered that cameras usually come with suitable software but
    borrowed the package that accompanies Sony digicams (Picture Package)
    and found that it seems to be only DVD burning SW with _very_ limited
    editing capabilities. Is this typical?

    ------

    IRO, May 24, 2004
  7. > I'm after info for a Press article. I'm not blind to the fact that
    > Windows users can do home video editing, I was after what are the most
    > versatile, reasonably priced, easy to use programs* available to the
    > platform.

    There was a thread previous about which video editing software to use.

    Movie Maker is free with XP, and works extremely well for home movies. Uses
    a simple timeline with drag and drop for transitions (both audio and video),
    easy to add titling, etc. I've used it for a ton of different videos.

    Got my 2c worth.

    ~!@#$%^&*()_+

    Milhouse : "We started out like Romeo and Juliet, but it ended up in
    tragedy."

    Waylon Smithers, May 25, 2004
  8. IRO

    Mike_P Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Mike_P" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > I'm gathering info about the fine art of video editing. Could anyone
    > > > familiar with the software available to Windows systems for

    home/school
    > > > purposes enlighten me?
    > > >
    > > > I'm assuming that we have a digital camcorder and suitable computer. I
    > > > gather there are oodles of software out there, what titles are the
    > > > popular one? Scope, limitations, advantages etc?

    > > Ian, are you trolling... A confirmed Apple man like you would surely not

    be
    > > able to look past iMovie ?

    > I'm after info for a Press article. I'm not blind to the fact that
    > Windows users can do home video editing, I was after what are the most
    > versatile, reasonably priced, easy to use programs* available to the
    > platform.
    >

    > ------
    > ~IRO
    > My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    > REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.
    >
    > * you know, like iMovie....

    Fair enough... XP comes with Movie Maker (which is crap) however Movie Maker
    2 (which is available as a free download via the Windows Update site) is a
    huge improvement. It is fast, simple and easy to use; like iMovie.

    Mike_P, May 25, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    >
    > > Assuming you have a firewire card, it will probably come with a stripped
    > > edition of an editing package such as Ulead Studio.
    > >
    > > Windows XP includes Windows Movie Maker.
    > >
    > > Adobe Premiere is available for the PC platform, but very expensive.

    > Thanks, Patrick, what are they like to use?
    >
    > I had gathered that cameras usually come with suitable software but
    > borrowed the package that accompanies Sony digicams (Picture Package)
    > and found that it seems to be only DVD burning SW with _very_ limited
    > editing capabilities. Is this typical?

    The packages that come with cameras seem to be very limited. I have not
    used them, have played with Windows Movie Maker which is reasonably
    useful.

    Premiere is by far and away the best package if you want to do really
    sophisticated editing. Try and get an academic price on it because the
    retail is pretty steep.

    Patrick Dunford, May 27, 2004