Home vhs quality much better than DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Hugh Doherty, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hugh Doherty

    Hugh Doherty Guest

    I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
    my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
    am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
    quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
    quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
    quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
    unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
    majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
    recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
    seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
    documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
    better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
    quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
    rented commercial DVDs?
    Hugh Doherty, Apr 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hugh Doherty

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Hugh Doherty wrote:
    > I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
    > my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
    > am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
    > quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
    > quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
    > quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
    > unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
    > majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
    > recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
    > seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
    > documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
    > better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
    > quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
    > rented commercial DVDs?
    >


    I have the same recorder, and find the 2 hour setting to be fine,
    recording from either the inbuilt tuner, a digital STB connected via the
    s-video connector, or other devices connected via the firewire or AV
    connectors. There is no doubt the one hour setting is the best, but
    even at the 2 hour setting I find the quality to be better than that
    recorded from the same source onto VHS.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Apr 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising


  3. > Do I need better equipment


    I record from vhs to a dvd-r console recorder in 2
    and 4 hour modes and in most cases the picture is
    better as the recorder fixes grain, noise, tracking
    and vertical sync issues automatically.


    Darrel :)
    Darrel Christenson, Apr 14, 2006
    #3
  4. Hugh Doherty

    unclejr Guest

    Darrel Christenson wrote:
    > I record from vhs to a dvd-r console recorder in 2
    > and 4 hour modes and in most cases the picture is
    > better as the recorder fixes grain, noise, tracking
    > and vertical sync issues automatically.


    I'm guessing that you are recording with a much better unit than a
    Liteon. Panasonic, perhaps?

    -Junior
    unclejr, Apr 15, 2006
    #4

  5. > I'm guessing that you are recording with a much better unit than a
    > Liteon. Panasonic, perhaps?


    Yep, Panny E50.


    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Apr 15, 2006
    #5
  6. Hugh Doherty

    Bill Guest

    Interesting.
    <hdoherty@NO SPAMns.sympatico.ca (Hugh Doherty)> wrote in message
    news:l7O%f.59772$...
    >I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
    > my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
    > am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
    > quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
    > quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
    > quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
    > unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
    > majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
    > recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
    > seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
    > documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
    > better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
    > quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
    > rented commercial DVDs?
    >
    Bill, Apr 15, 2006
    #6
  7. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:38:35 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >Interesting.
    ><hdoherty@NO SPAMns.sympatico.ca (Hugh Doherty)> wrote in message
    >news:l7O%f.59772$...
    >>I just recently bought a Liteon LVW5005 dvd recorder-player to transfer
    >> my very large home VHS collection to dvd directly from a VHS player. I
    >> am shocked to discover that except at one-hour quality, DVD picture
    >> quality (+R)is much poorer than comparable VHS quality. Highest VHS
    >> quality of 2 hours is better than DVD 2-hour quality. Four-hour DVD
    >> quality is very poor, and six-hour DVD quality (despite hype) is
    >> unwatchable, whereas six-hour VHS quality is quite acceptable, and the
    >> majority of my VHS home recordings are at six-hour quality. So home
    >> recording on a DVD recorder at anything more than one or two-hour quality
    >> seems hopeless, which makes the medium useless for many movies,
    >> documentaries, operas, etc. which are longer than two hours. Do I need
    >> better equipment, or is all the hype of lo these many years about DVD
    >> quality just so much baloney,except when applied to store-bought and
    >> rented commercial DVDs?
    >>

    >

    No, trolling.
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
    Message board:
    http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.hoffpauir
    Mail list:
    http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/h/hoffpauir.html
    --
    NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
    Charlie Hoffpauir, Apr 15, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. VHS Loyalist

    Why VHS is still better than DVD

    VHS Loyalist, Apr 3, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    64
    Views:
    2,102
    Michael Walker
    May 10, 2005
  2. Replies:
    16
    Views:
    699
    Matthew Vaughan
    Mar 12, 2006
  3. - Bobb -
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    2,324
    kitekrazy
    Jan 4, 2007
  4. Neck & Red

    HD-DVD far better quality than Blu-Ray

    Neck & Red, Feb 8, 2007, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    806
    Penguin Commandos for Gore.
    Feb 10, 2007
  5. dh@.
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    445
    PTravel
    Aug 28, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page