    I ran a cable from the computer s/pdif out, to my A/V receiver's digital
    coax in port.

    Have I got this phase correct?
    justhim, Jan 22, 2005

  2. justhim

    x@y Guest

    Make sure you select the Mode switch according to the input
    on your Amp. If the mode is selected according to the input
    and still no sound, check the computer output, if the sound
    signal is coming out. "Play it on Computer speakers"
    Still nothing Works ,

    See if you can get some answers,

    here: http://tinyurl.com/3s2tr

    Good Luck x@y
    <>=============<>=============<>===========<>

    x@y, Jan 22, 2005

  3. justhim

    justhim Guest

    "x@y >" <> wrote in message

    > Make sure you select the Mode switch according to the input
    > on your Amp. If the mode is selected according to the input
    > and still no sound, check the computer output, if the sound
    > signal is coming out. "Play it on Computer speakers"
    > Still nothing Works ,
    >
    > See if you can get some answers,
    >
    > here: http://tinyurl.com/3s2tr
    >
    > Good Luck x@y
    > <>=============<>=============<>===========<>
    >

    > "justhim" <> wrote in message
    > ..
    >> Problem no sound, on home theater.
    >>
    >> Connected my win-xp computer (A7V8X-X motherboard with on board 5.1
    >> sound), to my A/V receiver (Sony str-de597). Motherboard has s/pdif out
    >> port (the type of jack that takes rca/component cable).
    >>
    >> I ran a cable from the computer s/pdif out, to my A/V receiver's digital
    >> coax in port.
    >>
    >> Have I got this phase correct?
    >>

    >Thanks x@y,

    I have a cable that I can plug into the smaller (quarter inch, lime green)
    line out jack of the computer. The other end of the cable pig tails out to
    left & right rca/component cable. When I hook this cable to any of the left
    & right audio inputs on the A/V receiver, I have stereo sound.

    If I unhook that above mentioned cable and run a strait composite cable from
    the motherboards larger composite 5.1 s/pdif out port to the A/V receiver’s
    digital coax in port, and select coax for input mode, then I’m left with no
    sound at all.

    I’ve never owned a computer or A/V receiver with 5.1 before. I read both
    the motherboard and receivers manuals but still can’t get it.

    Shouldn’t I be getting sound with just the rca/component cable?
    justhim, Jan 22, 2005
  4. justhim

    x@y Guest

    "justhim" <> wrote in message

    > "x@y >" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Make sure you select the Mode switch according to the input
    >> on your Amp. If the mode is selected according to the input
    >> and still no sound, check the computer output, if the sound
    >> signal is coming out. "Play it on Computer speakers"
    >> Still nothing Works ,
    >>
    >> See if you can get some answers,
    >>
    >> here: http://tinyurl.com/3s2tr
    >>
    >> Good Luck x@y
    >> <>=============<>=============<>===========<>
    >>

    >> "justhim" <> wrote in message
    >> ..
    >>> Problem no sound, on home theater.
    >>>
    >>> Connected my win-xp computer (A7V8X-X motherboard with on board 5.1
    >>> sound), to my A/V receiver (Sony str-de597). Motherboard has s/pdif out
    >>> port (the type of jack that takes rca/component cable).
    >>>
    >>> I ran a cable from the computer s/pdif out, to my A/V receiver's digital
    >>> coax in port.
    >>>
    >>> Have I got this phase correct?
    >>>

    >>Thanks x@y,

    > I have a cable that I can plug into the smaller (quarter inch, lime green)
    > line out jack of the computer. The other end of the cable pig tails out to
    > left & right rca/component cable. When I hook this cable to any of the
    > left & right audio inputs on the A/V receiver, I have stereo sound.

    This proves that, The sound Card has a sound signal output,
    and the receiver's left & right input are also working.

    > If I unhook that above mentioned cable and run a strait composite cable
    > from the motherboards larger composite 5.1 s/pdif out port to the A/V
    > receiver’s digital coax in port, and select coax for input mode, then I’m
    > left with no sound at all.

    Maybe there no sound on the coax cable output, that's for when You
    play Movies and connects direct to the TV.

    The best I can advise is to mach the computer's "Sound output" (Port)'s
    with the Stereo's input Ports, and as You know keep in mind the input
    Mode on the Stereo.

    > I’ve never owned a computer or A/V receiver with 5.1 before. I read both
    > the motherboard and receivers manuals but still can’t get it.

    Maybe another closer look @ the manuals may solve the mystery.

    I do not have the computer connected to my Stereo, I play my CD's
    on Altec Lensing System connected on the output of the computer's
    soundcard.

    > Shouldn’t I be getting sound with just the rca/component cable?

    You should, I don't see why not.

    Try rca cables they are used for both A&V. we can buy
    audio cables for digital components which are gold plated at higher
    price.
    Hope this will get closer to solving Your problem. Let us know
    if it helps, thanks.

    Good Luck x@y.
    x@y, Jan 22, 2005
  5. justhim

    justhim Guest

    > Hope this will get closer to solving Your problem. Let us know
    > if it helps, thanks.
    >
    > Good Luck x@y.

    Thanks x@y

    Using a digital multimeter (on_mA_ setting), I’m able to get a reading which
    increases when the volume is raised, when probing a pigtail cable connected
    to the motherboards sound cards speaker out jack.

    I did the same test on rca cable hooked up to the motherboards digital
    coaxial out and get no reading/value.

    I’m fairly certain the motherboard is faulty and will return it. Unless, the
    digital 5.1 signal is not readable by multimeter?
    justhim, Jan 23, 2005
  6. justhim

    x@y Guest

    "justhim" <> wrote in message .

    >> Hope this will get closer to solving Your problem. Let us know
    >> if it helps, thanks.
    >>
    >> Good Luck x@y.
    >>

    > Thanks x@y
    >
    > Using a digital multimeter (on_mA_ setting), I’m able to get a reading
    > which increases when the volume is raised, when probing a pigtail cable
    > connected to the motherboards sound cards speaker out jack.
    >
    > I did the same test on rca cable hooked up to the motherboards digital
    > coaxial out and get no reading/value.
    >
    > I’m fairly certain the motherboard is faulty and will return it. Unless,
    > the digital 5.1 signal is not readable by multimeter?

    I see You can use the Voltohmmeter, You could
    check one more thing, take the coaxial cable out and with the
    Voltohmmeter set on the Ohm scale, on x1 or X10, and check
    for continuity the shield wire and the other separately if they are ok
    the needle should swing to the left on analog meters, on digital Meters
    You should read zero,

    "For this test connect one lead of the meter on
    one end of the cable, and the other lead on the other end of the same"

    Also check the shield wire, and core wire for shorts, You should
    get no reading for this test, if You do, the cable maybe at fault.

    It is very rare to run into a bad cable, I myself had a couple bad ones.
    if the cable tests ok, You could check for an output with the
    meter set on the VOLT scale or m/amp.like the above test You did,
    don't use the Ohm scale to mesure output readings.

    I never tried to mesure computer sound output, to my knowledge
    the reading maybe very low if there is any, or nothing. One more
    thing to remember mesure the sound output only when the CD player
    is playing.

    Like You suspect could be the sound card, before you take the
    card out to return would it be good idea to ask someone at the
    Computer store even a salesman at times helps, they are more
    familiar with sound card and their output.
    LOLuck x@y.

    x@y, Jan 23, 2005
  7. justhim

    glenys davey Guest