Home server cases and external firewire cases

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy@nowhere.commy, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    At present I am using real servers at home (compaq 1600rs) trouble is I
    figure with the price of electricity these days, they are costing me at
    least $70 odd a month.....

    So I am thinking of going back to running on a glorified desktop box. To
    achieve this I need an upright mid or tower case that is quiet and good
    air flow. I notice lots of atx cases have such heavy shields over the
    fans that air flow is awful plus noisey.

    So can any one recommend case fans with low noise and low power
    consumption? need to be race bearings I want them to last.

    A case with 4 to 6 external 5.25 inch bays (2 boot hw raid disks plus
    expansion plus a dvd burner drive), with fan points on a chassis that
    will flow air ie not the ones with 4~6mm holes drilled in flat plate,
    those suck for airflow...

    Anyone done external firewire software raid? the other possibility is I
    get 2 x 200 or 300 gig ext firewire drives and soft raid them....my
    experience so far is though most ext case quality is so bad I wouldnt
    want to use them for a fit and forget scenario and not loose
    data.....concur?

    A reasonably high performamnce agp graphics card but with a static heat
    sink, so far my experince has been the fans are cheap, noisey, nasty and
    when they fail you need a new video card....I want to be able to play
    dvds through it to a TV (it is going to sit behind my TV).....

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 10, 2006

  2. Richard Guest

    y wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > At present I am using real servers at home (compaq 1600rs) trouble is I
    > figure with the price of electricity these days, they are costing me at
    > least $70 odd a month.....

    Why do you assume its so high? Have you put a watt meter onto them to see what
    they are actually using?

    > So I am thinking of going back to running on a glorified desktop box. To
    > achieve this I need an upright mid or tower case that is quiet and good
    > air flow. I notice lots of atx cases have such heavy shields over the
    > fans that air flow is awful plus noisey.

    Other then the inefficiancy of redundant power supply and grunty fans, I fail to
    see how that will save you any power

    > So can any one recommend case fans with low noise and low power
    > consumption? need to be race bearings I want them to last.
    >
    > A case with 4 to 6 external 5.25 inch bays (2 boot hw raid disks plus
    > expansion plus a dvd burner drive), with fan points on a chassis that
    > will flow air ie not the ones with 4~6mm holes drilled in flat plate,
    > those suck for airflow...
    >
    > Anyone done external firewire software raid? the other possibility is I
    > get 2 x 200 or 300 gig ext firewire drives and soft raid them....my
    > experience so far is though most ext case quality is so bad I wouldnt
    > want to use them for a fit and forget scenario and not loose
    > data.....concur?
    >
    > A reasonably high performamnce agp graphics card but with a static heat
    > sink, so far my experince has been the fans are cheap, noisey, nasty and
    > when they fail you need a new video card....I want to be able to play
    > dvds through it to a TV (it is going to sit behind my TV).....

    All those drives will make it too noisy for living room use IMO
    Richard, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > y wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> At present I am using real servers at home (compaq 1600rs) trouble is
    >> I figure with the price of electricity these days, they are costing me
    >> at least $70 odd a month.....

    > Why do you assume its so high? Have you put a watt meter onto them to
    > see what they are actually using?

    8><----

    When I went for a holiday for three weeks over summer my elec bill was
    still $150...the only other thing left running was the fridge....hot
    water etc was off.

    I did some tests on desktop boxes a while back, worked out at 80watt/h a
    month, so that is $9.70 ish a month. So I have 4 boxes, one is a
    desktop so that is $10, the other three are "proper" servers, so a
    minimum bill a month is going to be $40....then allow 3 ~ 5 scsi drives
    per server, plus the fans.....$70 is not too high a guess IMHO. I can
    pull the power off the UPS (another energy drain, but that stays) and
    shove a watt meter on it....will be interesting.

    > All those drives will make it too noisy for living room use IMO

    I am running a workstaion with quite psu (so will get another one, also
    its high efficiency) and will pick the quietest drives I can
    find....acoustically you get a db rise in multiples of three. So 2
    drives make negligably more sound than 1, so ditto 4 or 5 will not be
    any noiser than 3.

    My other thought if using firewire is having the ext drives in the
    garage's lobby out of the way.

    My final thought is a 1 or 2 gig flash card as the boot drive, firewire
    remotely....

    Longer term it will move to a quiet point, I'm pondering how to achive
    that now.....

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 10, 2006
  4. Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:42:45 +1300, y wrote:

    > I am running a workstaion with quite psu (so will get another one, also
    > its high efficiency) and will pick the quietest drives I can
    > find....acoustically you get a db rise in multiples of three. So 2
    > drives make negligably more sound than 1, so ditto 4 or 5 will not be
    > any noiser than 3.

    Doubling the noise, increases the dB by three. Two sound twice as loud as
    one, but the dB has not doubled.

    See the difference?
    Gordon, Mar 11, 2006
  5. On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:31:36 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:42:45 +1300, y wrote:
    >
    >> I am running a workstaion with quite psu (so will get another one, also
    >> its high efficiency) and will pick the quietest drives I can
    >> find....acoustically you get a db rise in multiples of three. So 2
    >> drives make negligably more sound than 1, so ditto 4 or 5 will not be
    >> any noiser than 3.

    > Doubling the noise, increases the dB by three. Two sound twice as loud as
    > one, but the dB has not doubled.
    >
    > See the difference?

    Translated:

    An increase in 3dB represents a doubling of Sound Pressure. A change of
    3dB is barely noticable to the average person.

    This means that adding a second HDD doubles the sound pressure being
    generated by the total number of HDDs in the computer.

    Adding a third HDD to the first two does not produce a *doubling* of the
    SPL being generated by the first two HDDs; but adding another two HDDs to
    the first two produces a doubling of the SPL. Thus, in comparison to the
    noise generated by one HDD, two HDDs are 3dB louder than one HDD, four
    HDDs are 6dB louder than one HDD, eight HDDs are 9dB louder than one HDD,
    and so on.

    Also, if you halve the distance between the listener and the sound source
    you quadruple the SPL. Conversely, if you double the distance, then you
    quarter the SPL. (due to sound radiating in a spherical manner)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 11, 2006
  6. Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:42:45 +1300, y wrote:
    >

    >>I am running a workstaion with quite psu (so will get another one, also
    >>its high efficiency) and will pick the quietest drives I can
    >>find....acoustically you get a db rise in multiples of three. So 2
    >>drives make negligably more sound than 1, so ditto 4 or 5 will not be
    >>any noiser than 3.

    > Doubling the noise, increases the dB by three. Two sound twice as loud as
    > one, but the dB has not doubled.
    >
    > See the difference?

    Hear the difference and no you dont.

    ;]