Home PC networking challenge

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Jul 24, 2010.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi folks, I realise it's difficult to fix a networking issue without
    seeing the setup personally, but you guys are all so smart and you've
    always helped me before so here I am again asking for more advice ...

    I have an Asus notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium.
    I have an Acer desktop running Win XP.

    I am networking through a wireless D-link router.

    Both PCs have Eset Smart Security installed.

    The notebook can see the desktop but can't alter files, despite the
    share settings on the desktop having the "change files" box checked.

    The desktop cannot see the notebook files. Doesn't even find the
    notebook on the network. Even when I've turned off Eset on both
    macines. Not that I should need to.

    My notebook can find and change files on other networks - it's just my
    home network that is not working for me.

    As I say, I know it's a long shot but if anything obvious is jumping
    out at you experts, I'd be grateful if you could suggest a way to get
    both machines talking and listening fully to each other.

    Jo

    Boppy, Jul 24, 2010

  2. Boppy

    Cima Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:25:13 -0700 (PDT), Boppy <> wrote:

    >Hi folks, I realise it's difficult to fix a networking issue without
    >seeing the setup personally, but you guys are all so smart and you've
    >always helped me before so here I am again asking for more advice ...
    >
    >I have an Asus notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium.
    >I have an Acer desktop running Win XP.
    >
    >I am networking through a wireless D-link router.
    >
    >Both PCs have Eset Smart Security installed.
    >
    >The notebook can see the desktop but can't alter files, despite the
    >share settings on the desktop having the "change files" box checked.
    >
    >The desktop cannot see the notebook files. Doesn't even find the
    >notebook on the network. Even when I've turned off Eset on both
    >macines. Not that I should need to.
    >
    >My notebook can find and change files on other networks - it's just my
    >home network that is not working for me.
    >
    >As I say, I know it's a long shot but if anything obvious is jumping
    >out at you experts, I'd be grateful if you could suggest a way to get
    >both machines talking and listening fully to each other.
    >
    >Jo

    Which version of Eset? I upgraded to the latest and my LAN died, found some
    settings here that fixed it (although something has ballsed it up again);

    Cima, Jul 24, 2010

  3. Boppy

    Richard Guest

    Boppy wrote:
    > Hi folks, I realise it's difficult to fix a networking issue without
    > seeing the setup personally, but you guys are all so smart and you've
    > always helped me before so here I am again asking for more advice ...
    >
    > I have an Asus notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium.
    > I have an Acer desktop running Win XP.
    >
    > I am networking through a wireless D-link router.
    >
    > Both PCs have Eset Smart Security installed.
    >
    > The notebook can see the desktop but can't alter files, despite the
    > share settings on the desktop having the "change files" box checked.
    >
    > The desktop cannot see the notebook files. Doesn't even find the
    > notebook on the network. Even when I've turned off Eset on both
    > macines. Not that I should need to.
    >
    > My notebook can find and change files on other networks - it's just my
    > home network that is not working for me.
    >
    > As I say, I know it's a long shot but if anything obvious is jumping
    > out at you experts, I'd be grateful if you could suggest a way to get
    > both machines talking and listening fully to each other.

    If it can see but not change files then it is a permissions error.

    There are both share permissions and file permissions that both have to
    have the username you are connecting with set to full access to be able
    to change things.

    I always set the share to read only before letting other people connect
    to my network to get stuff off the media PC since some crap software
    likes to add unsolicited tags to your music...

    Richard, Jul 24, 2010