    Thanks in advance,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    neutrino Guest

    how about good old Google news:
    http://news.google.co.nz/nwshp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8

    neutrino, Apr 12, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:35:23 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too bad
    > for my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore, duplicate
    > links, cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the article I'm about
    > to look at is about.... I like the weather feature and the quote of the
    > day, however, that's about it these days.
    >
    > What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly, with
    > the ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it towards
    > tech news.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Hate to sound common :) but my brother has a really nice homepage setup
    using iGoogle

    http://www.google.com/ig

    I haven't looked at the in's and out's of it but it seems very
    configurable. Gives him his news fix, weather etc each time he opens his
    browser. And he can have a pretty background image as well.

    I'm half tempted to try it out cos at the moment I just use plain old
    google.nz as my homepage.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 12, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    >On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:43:25 +0200, Lodi wrote:

    > Hate to sound common :) but my brother has a really nice homepage setup
    > using iGoogle
    >
    > http://www.google.com/ig
    >
    > I haven't looked at the in's and out's of it but it seems very
    > configurable. Gives him his news fix, weather etc each time he opens his
    > browser. And he can have a pretty background image as well.
    >
    > I'm half tempted to try it out cos at the moment I just use plain old
    > google.nz as my homepage.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Shaun....Have just had a quick look around a few "iGoogle help,tips and
    tricks" sites and I've noticed quite a few people asking how to uninstall
    it (not that it's a separate programme so I'm not quite sure what they
    mean by uninstall). May need more investigation so take my advice with
    the usual grain of salt.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 12, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:
    >> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:43:25 +0200, Lodi wrote:

    >> Hate to sound common :) but my brother has a really nice homepage
    >> setup using iGoogle
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/ig
    >>
    >> I haven't looked at the in's and out's of it but it seems very
    >> configurable. Gives him his news fix, weather etc each time he opens
    >> his browser. And he can have a pretty background image as well.
    >>
    >> I'm half tempted to try it out cos at the moment I just use plain old
    >> google.nz as my homepage.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    > Shaun....Have just had a quick look around a few "iGoogle help,tips
    > and tricks" sites and I've noticed quite a few people asking how to
    > uninstall it (not that it's a separate programme so I'm not quite
    > sure what they mean by uninstall). May need more investigation so
    > take my advice with the usual grain of salt.

    Thanks Lodi, I've not looked yet but maybe it's tied up with Google Desktop
    Search? I installed that once and regretted it.

    Cheers, will have a look after I've finished cooking/eating dinner.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "neutrino" typed:
    > how about good old Google news:
    > http://news.google.co.nz/nwshp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8

    Thanks, I'll give it a try for a while.

    It seems that Google is getting to be as ubiquitous as they'd hoped.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2008
  7. In article <48001fd1$>,
    says...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too bad for
    > my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore, duplicate links,
    > cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the article I'm about to look at
    > is about.... I like the weather feature and the quote of the day, however,
    > that's about it these days.
    >
    > What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly, with the
    > ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it towards tech
    > news.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    about:blank

    Since I have quick-buttons for all the sites I frequent, I like
    my browser to start up blank - so if I want I can start at
    Google, BBC, Herald, www.auno.org or even <blush> trademe
    without having to interrupt or wait for 'homepage' to load.
    ymmw ...

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 12, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    Ross Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:29:52 +1200, (Don
    Hills) wrote:

    >In article <48001fd1$>,
    >"~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>What do folks here use for a homepage? ...

    >about:blank

    Ah! A fine choice indeed!
    And Firefox 3 beta 5, no doubt?

    Ross, Apr 12, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too
    >> bad for my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore,
    >> duplicate links, cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the
    >> article I'm about to look at is about.... I like the weather feature
    >> and the quote of the day, however, that's about it these days.
    >>
    >> What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly,
    >> with the ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it
    >> towards tech news.

    > About:blank
    >
    > If I am opening the browser its because I am going somewhere, not to
    > see a default page come up.

    Whereas I like a site that gives me general news, tech news, weather... I
    get sick of the morons who can't speak proper on TV news, plus don't always
    catch the news.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-04-12, Don Hills <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ross <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Ah! A fine choice indeed!
    >>And Firefox 3 beta 5, no doubt?

    > Indeed. It makes it easy for me to choose where I want to go today.

    Wow, I am not alone. To me a web browser is so that one can view a web site
    which one wishes to view. So start the browser and off we go.

    A web browswer is not a TV. It does not have to have something on it when
    one turns it on. One picks up the phone and dials a number.

    This thread has been interesting in that it appears many expect something to
    be there on the screen when the browser is opened. Passive attitude people.
    You will be sucked in by big brother. Or have been.

    Gordon, Apr 13, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    >On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:42:36 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Wow, I am not alone. To me a web browser is so that one can view a web
    > site which one wishes to view. So start the browser and off we go.
    >
    > A web browser is not a TV. It does not have to have something on it
    > when one turns it on. One picks up the phone and dials a number.
    >
    > This thread has been interesting in that it appears many expect
    > something to be there on the screen when the browser is opened. Passive
    > attitude people. You will be sucked in by big brother. Or have been.

    Hi Gordon...

    I tend to mildly disagree with your "Browser equals Telephone" versus
    "Browser does not equal TV" analogy.

    It sounds as though you....

    a) start your browser
    b) type in the URL
    c) view web-site
    d) close browser

    similar to your example of.....

    a) pick up phone
    b) dial number
    c) talk
    d) hang up phone

    But with me, 90% of my browsing is just that - aimless, directionless
    browsing.

    I watch maybe half a dozen hours of TV per week (Super14 not included :)
    so my "personal blobbing out" time is spent either on groups like nz.comp
    or doing the aforementioned aimless web surfing. Similar to flicking
    through TV channels except there are millions to choose from.

    The 10% of the time I have something definite in mind e.g internet
    banking, I follow your browser=telephone convention.

    But for the rest of the time it's browser=TV, with a million different
    channels to choose from.

    My browser (Opera 9.27) opens up with the Opera SpeedDial plug-in,
    basically my nine favourite bookmarks on one page (google news, imdb,
    bloomberg, etc). And then it's pretty much whatever takes my fancy.

    This afternoon it's been google news and the good old Olympic Torch,
    which linked to the Times of India and the Kashmir problem, then the
    TimesOnLine and new data storage techniques, and then a pleasant read of
    the reviews of this weekends Super 14 on Planet Rugby.

    Mindless and aimless blobbing for the last three-ish hours. Pretty much
    100% opposite to your browsing habits.

    I guess I should take offence at your "Passive attitude people"
    remark......but I can't be bothered.

    And I don't quite get the "You will be sucked in by big brother" bit.
    Guess I've already been assimilated :)

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Apr 13, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:
    >> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:42:36 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >> Wow, I am not alone. To me a web browser is so that one can view a
    >> web site which one wishes to view. So start the browser and off we
    >> go.
    >>
    >> A web browser is not a TV. It does not have to have something on it
    >> when one turns it on. One picks up the phone and dials a number.
    >>
    >> This thread has been interesting in that it appears many expect
    >> something to be there on the screen when the browser is opened.
    >> Passive attitude people. You will be sucked in by big brother. Or
    >> have been.

    > Hi Gordon...
    >
    > I tend to mildly disagree with your "Browser equals Telephone" versus
    > "Browser does not equal TV" analogy.
    >
    > It sounds as though you....
    >
    > a) start your browser
    > b) type in the URL
    > c) view web-site
    > d) close browser
    >
    > similar to your example of.....
    >
    > a) pick up phone
    > b) dial number
    > c) talk
    > d) hang up phone
    >
    > But with me, 90% of my browsing is just that - aimless, directionless
    > browsing.
    >
    > I watch maybe half a dozen hours of TV per week (Super14 not included
    > :) so my "personal blobbing out" time is spent either on groups like
    > nz.comp or doing the aforementioned aimless web surfing. Similar to
    > flicking through TV channels except there are millions to choose from.
    >
    > The 10% of the time I have something definite in mind e.g internet
    > banking, I follow your browser=telephone convention.
    >
    > But for the rest of the time it's browser=TV, with a million different
    > channels to choose from.
    >
    > My browser (Opera 9.27) opens up with the Opera SpeedDial plug-in,
    > basically my nine favourite bookmarks on one page (google news, imdb,
    > bloomberg, etc). And then it's pretty much whatever takes my fancy.
    >
    > This afternoon it's been google news and the good old Olympic Torch,
    > which linked to the Times of India and the Kashmir problem, then the
    > TimesOnLine and new data storage techniques, and then a pleasant read
    > of the reviews of this weekends Super 14 on Planet Rugby.
    >
    > Mindless and aimless blobbing for the last three-ish hours. Pretty
    > much 100% opposite to your browsing habits.
    >
    > I guess I should take offence at your "Passive attitude people"
    > remark......but I can't be bothered.

    Yeah, it does sound a bit superior doesn't it?

    > And I don't quite get the "You will be sucked in by big brother" bit.
    > Guess I've already been assimilated :)

    Whereas I rarely watch the rubbish that passes for news on NZ TV so simply
    like to have a page to check with my morning coffee (or afternoon coffee for
    that matter) that tells me if there's been anything major happening in the
    world that I might be interested in and, if it has a weather forecast for my
    area, that's good too. Homepage as TV News to stretch the analogy further.

    I don't give a shit if it uses a modicum of bandwidth every time I open
    Firefox (as opposed to having a blank start page, been there..). There just
    might be something that catches my eye, so I <Ctrl-T> to open a new (blank)
    tab for whatever I wanted the browser for, then check back at the start page
    to read whatever it was that caught my eye.

    Nothing to start acting all superior about IMO. Horses for courses and all
    that blather.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    Thor Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I don't give a shit if it uses a modicum of bandwidth every time I open
    > Firefox (as opposed to having a blank start page, been there..). There
    > just might be something that catches my eye, so I <Ctrl-T> to open a new
    > (blank) tab for whatever I wanted the browser for, then check back at the
    > start page to read whatever it was that caught my eye.
    >
    > Nothing to start acting all superior about IMO. Horses for courses and all
    > that blather.

    Exactly, I use a customised version of news.google.co.nz as my login/home
    page for firefox. I does what I want, ie searches for articles that I am
    interested in.

    Thor, Apr 13, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too
    >> bad for my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore,
    >> duplicate links, cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the
    >> article I'm about to look at is about.... I like the weather feature
    >> and the quote of the day, however, that's about it these days.
    >>
    >> What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly,
    >> with the ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it
    >> towards tech news.

    > "Blank".

    What's the news like there? Weather? Is it .com or .co.nz? ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2008
  15. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    Hills) wrote:

    >In article <48001fd1$>,
    >"~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>What do folks here use for a homepage? ...

    >about:blank

    Same here. If you have it start on a news page it can take bloody
    ages before you get around doing what you actually opened the browser
    for.

    Craig Shore, Apr 14, 2008
  16. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:48001fd1$1
    @news2.actrix.gen.nz:

    > What do folks here use for a homepage?

    http://www.dailyrotation.com
    I use their cookie and have added a few RSS and tweaked it using their
    settings.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 14, 2008
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:29:52 +1200, (Don
    > Hills) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <48001fd1$>,
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>> What do folks here use for a homepage? ...

    >> about:blank

    > Same here. If you have it start on a news page it can take bloody
    > ages before you get around doing what you actually opened the browser
    > for.

    Umm, you do know that you don't actually have to wait for the page to load
    completely, or even at all, before you go to a bookmark or start typing in a
    URL right?

    Or do you mean that you end up reading the start page? If so, that's why I
    said I hit <Ctrl+T> if I'm on a mission, it opens a new tab (in Firefox)
    over the home page, which I can look at (or not) later. I open a new tab and
    go to the page I opened the browser for or else I tend to foget what the
    hell I was doing anyway.

    (That's the great thing about Alzheimers, you get to meet new people every
    day.)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2008
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Taylor" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:48001fd1$1
    > @news2.actrix.gen.nz:
    >
    >> What do folks here use for a homepage?

    > http://www.dailyrotation.com
    > I use their cookie and have added a few RSS and tweaked it using their
    > settings.

    Now that looks promising. Thanks Dave,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2008
  19. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > (That's the great thing about Alzheimers, you get to meet new people every
    > day.)

    And Parkinson's means each new friendship gets off to a shaky start.

    EMB, Apr 14, 2008
  20. ~misfit~

    Ross Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:11:17 +1200, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >Rob Simpson wrote:
    >> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:02:03 +1200, Mark Robinson propped his eyelids open
    >> with toothpicks and wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use a tableau of pages stored in their own bookmark folder. Open
    >>> bookmarks in folder as tabs. It seems I am not RSS compliant.

    >> You use Thunderbird for newsgroups (which incidentally can be used for rss
    >> feeds as well), so you may use firefox. If so, in firefox, find your
    >> preferences (different places in windows and linux versions) and then
    >> click on feeds for setting up rss. If you use IE or some other browser,
    >> then you're out of luck, at least AFAIK.

    >Thanks but all that I know.
    >
    >I just haven't found a way of using RSS that sucks less than looking at the
    >sites themselves.

    Bloglines Classic.
    Beats going to 100+ sites to see if there are any new articles!

    Ross, Apr 14, 2008