Home Office Networking and Printing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by JV, Jan 13, 2007.

  1. JV

    JV Guest

    Setting up a home office next week. Any thoughts or advice on my plans for
    networking would be appreciated. If I'm asking too basic of questions,
    please feel free to steer me towards a FAQ of some sort.

    Internet service will be from a WildBlue satellite linkup. I've been told
    the WildBlue installer can help me set things up, but I'm looking to make
    sure that what I'm thinking in terms of equipment, locations, and
    functionality sounds workable. Because of my house layout, it would be
    convenient for me to install the satellite modem upstairs on a built in
    shelf. House is a fairly open floor-plan ranch, ~1700SF upstairs.

    To the satellite modem, I'm planning on connecting a LinkSys Wireless G
    broadband router, WRT54GS-BP. Intent is to be able to access the internet
    from a desktop in a small office upstairs or from a laptop to be principally
    located in a small office downstairs. The desktop will be connected by way
    of a LinkSys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter. The laptop is a new Dell
    Inspiron with a wireless 802.11b/g card. Does it sound like the internet
    access planned should work?

    As far as printing, the upstairs desktop computer is currently associated
    with a Canon MultiPass F30 (color inkjet). It's not a true plug and play
    printer, and I've never been able to use it via USB, so have ended up using
    a parallel printer port. I'm planning on getting an HP 3050 MFC (BW
    laser/fax) for the downstairs office. Definitely want the HP 3050 to be
    downstairs, and the Canon F30 could be located in either place. However, I'd
    guess that since the F30 in not PNP and has been tricky to setup I'd be best
    off leaving it upstairs. So, can I use the Linsys router for printer sharing
    with this equipment? Or, would I perhaps also need a LinkSys Wireless-G
    PrintServer?

    Would I also be able to share files among the desktop and laptop?

    Thanks in advance,

    John
    JV, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Hi

    Your plan sounds Ok.

    Make sure that WildBlue satellite can be fed into a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router, since some satellite services cannot.

    Make sure that you have a setting that allows connection from a computer to
    the Router with a wire; you would need it for the initial setting and to
    access the system in situations concerning Wireless faults.

    These pages include a lot of info that might help in such endeavor,
    http://www.ezlan.net

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2007