    the workgroup name on have my other computers is just the word home. I feel
    like I am either missing a step or doing something obviously wrong. Can
    anyone help???

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=, Aug 27, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:36:01 -0700, Marie <>
    wrote:

    >I have a home network with 2 desktops and 1 laptop. I was given my sons
    >castoff laptop and want to add that too. I ran the network wizard many times
    >and it seems that it goes through but I still can't get online and when I go
    >to look at workgroup computers there is nothing in there. I set the other
    >ones up a long time ago and can't remember how I did it, except I thought
    >when I entered the workgroup name it had back or forward slashes in it and
    >the workgroup name on have my other computers is just the word home. I feel
    >like I am either missing a step or doing something obviously wrong. Can
    >anyone help???

    Marie,

    You setup the workgroup name from My Computer - Properties - Computer Name tab.
    All computers don't have to be in the same workgroup - you can see between
    workgroups if everything else is working - but it's easier to troubleshoot with
    all computers in one workgroup. Generally, the workgroup name will not have
    slashes.

    Your problem is frequently caused by a misconfigured or overlooked personal
    firewall, or the NetBT setting.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html

    You could start by looking at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
    config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, to diagnose
    the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
    carefully (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP], Aug 27, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Jim Guest

    "Marie" <> wrote in message
    >I have a home network with 2 desktops and 1 laptop. I was given my sons
    > castoff laptop and want to add that too. I ran the network wizard many
    > times
    > and it seems that it goes through but I still can't get online and when I
    > go
    > to look at workgroup computers there is nothing in there. I set the other
    > ones up a long time ago and can't remember how I did it, except I thought
    > when I entered the workgroup name it had back or forward slashes in it and
    > the workgroup name on have my other computers is just the word home. I
    > feel
    > like I am either missing a step or doing something obviously wrong. Can
    > anyone help???

    Instead of running the Network Setup Wizard on each computer, just run it on
    one. When you get to the place where it asks you if you want to create a
    setup disk, do so. After the wizard exits, take this disk to each of your
    computers, and run the program on the disk. This step will insure that all
    computers are setup the same way.

    On the laptop, your need to execute the Wireless Network Setup Wizard as
    well so that you will get all of the necessary pieces loaded. You must, in
    addition, make certain that the encryption key for the wireless connection
    on the laptop matches identically to the encryption key on your router.

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 27, 2007
  4. you are both way over my head. After running the network wizard numerous
    times I can see the2nd laptop as a workgroup computer on that second laptop
    screen-on the original laptop screen the only two computers that show up as
    workgroup computers are the original laptop and the main desktop. I don't
    really care as much about networking as I do just want to be able to go
    online with the second laptop. I did try switching network cards to make sure
    they both work so that is not an issue.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=, Aug 28, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    Marie wrote:
    > you are both way over my head. After running the network wizard numerous
    > times I can see the2nd laptop as a workgroup computer on that second laptop
    > screen-on the original laptop screen the only two computers that show up as
    > workgroup computers are the original laptop and the main desktop. I don't
    > really care as much about networking as I do just want to be able to go
    > online with the second laptop. I did try switching network cards to make sure
    > they both work so that is not an issue.
    >
    > "Marie" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a home network with 2 desktops and 1 laptop. I was given my sons
    >> castoff laptop and want to add that too. I ran the network wizard many times
    >> and it seems that it goes through but I still can't get online and when I go
    >> to look at workgroup computers there is nothing in there. I set the other
    >> ones up a long time ago and can't remember how I did it, except I thought
    >> when I entered the workgroup name it had back or forward slashes in it and
    >> the workgroup name on have my other computers is just the word home. I feel
    >> like I am either missing a step or doing something obviously wrong. Can
    >> anyone help???

    If all you want to do is get online with the second laptop, why are you
    looking at "workgroup computers" (rhetorical question)?

    Please start from the beginning -- how is your home network physically
    connected, and how do you share the Internet connection among the
    networked computers? Do you have a router (wired? wireless?
    make/model?)? Are you using Windows Internet Connection Sharing?

    Assuming that you have a wired router, on the second laptop: open
    Network Connections and select the icon for your Local Area Connection.
    In the left panel, under details, what is the IP address? What else
    does the "Details" section say?

    Do the same for one of the working computers. What's its IP address?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Aug 28, 2007
  6. I have a dlink wireless router-model DI-514. I have a Toshiba cable modem. My
    desktop and router are plugged into the modem and both laptops have a
    wireless network card. The original laptop is on the network and I was told
    the second laptop also needs to be on the network to be able to go online. I
    don't need it to be on the network for any other reason. the details section
    of each laptop says exactly

    Local Area Connection
    LAN or High-Speed Internet
    Network cable unplugged
    SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet
    Adaptor
    there is no IP address
    I don't know if I am using Internet sharing-I really feel like an idiot, I
    do appreciate your help

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Jim Guest

    "Marie" <> wrote in message
    >I have a dlink wireless router-model DI-514. I have a Toshiba cable modem.
    >My
    > desktop and router are plugged into the modem and both laptops have a
    > wireless network card. The original laptop is on the network and I was
    > told
    > the second laptop also needs to be on the network to be able to go online.
    > don't need it to be on the network for any other reason. the details
    > section
    > of each laptop says exactly
    >
    > Local Area Connection
    > LAN or High-Speed Internet
    > Network cable unplugged
    > SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet
    > Adaptor
    > there is no IP address
    > I don't know if I am using Internet sharing-I really feel like an idiot, I
    > do appreciate your help
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Marie wrote:
    >> > you are both way over my head. After running the network wizard
    >> > numerous
    >> > times I can see the2nd laptop as a workgroup computer on that second
    >> > laptop
    >> > screen-on the original laptop screen the only two computers that show
    >> > up as
    >> > workgroup computers are the original laptop and the main desktop. I
    >> > don't
    >> > really care as much about networking as I do just want to be able to go
    >> > online with the second laptop. I did try switching network cards to
    >> > make sure
    >> > they both work so that is not an issue.

    >> If all you want to do is get online with the second laptop, why are you
    >> looking at "workgroup computers" (rhetorical question)?
    >>
    >> Please start from the beginning -- how is your home network physically
    >> connected, and how do you share the Internet connection among the
    >> networked computers? Do you have a router (wired? wireless?
    >> make/model?)? Are you using Windows Internet Connection Sharing?
    >>
    >> Assuming that you have a wired router, on the second laptop: open
    >> Network Connections and select the icon for your Local Area Connection.
    >> In the left panel, under details, what is the IP address? What else
    >> does the "Details" section say?
    >>
    >> Do the same for one of the working computers. What's its IP address?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    It seems that this laptop has no wireless adapter. It must be connected to
    the router with an ethernet cable.
    You will never get the laptop connected to the internet until after you
    connect it to the router.

    Going online really amounts to connecting to the internet.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 29, 2007
  8. It has a dlink wireless card-isn't that enough? That is what is in the laptop
    that I can go online with has, but that laptop is on the network.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    Marie wrote:
    > I have a dlink wireless router-model DI-514. I have a Toshiba cable modem. My
    > desktop and router are plugged into the modem and both laptops have a
    > wireless network card. The original laptop is on the network and I was told
    > the second laptop also needs to be on the network to be able to go online. I
    > don't need it to be on the network for any other reason. the details section
    > of each laptop says exactly
    >
    > Local Area Connection
    > LAN or High-Speed Internet
    > Network cable unplugged
    > SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet
    > Adaptor
    > there is no IP address
    > I don't know if I am using Internet sharing-I really feel like an idiot, I
    > do appreciate your help
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Marie wrote:
    >>> you are both way over my head. After running the network wizard numerous
    >>> times I can see the2nd laptop as a workgroup computer on that second laptop
    >>> screen-on the original laptop screen the only two computers that show up as
    >>> workgroup computers are the original laptop and the main desktop. I don't
    >>> really care as much about networking as I do just want to be able to go
    >>> online with the second laptop. I did try switching network cards to make sure
    >>> they both work so that is not an issue.

    >> If all you want to do is get online with the second laptop, why are you
    >> looking at "workgroup computers" (rhetorical question)?
    >>
    >> Please start from the beginning -- how is your home network physically
    >> connected, and how do you share the Internet connection among the
    >> networked computers? Do you have a router (wired? wireless?
    >> make/model?)? Are you using Windows Internet Connection Sharing?
    >>
    >> Assuming that you have a wired router, on the second laptop: open
    >> Network Connections and select the icon for your Local Area Connection.
    >> In the left panel, under details, what is the IP address? What else
    >> does the "Details" section say?
    >>
    >> Do the same for one of the working computers. What's its IP address?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    Sorry, I guessed wrong (and I should have realized that you had a
    wireless connection because you're posting in the networking.wireless
    newsgroup.

    Naturally, the wired connections of the laptops (which are connected
    wirelessly) don't show an IP address. That's to be expected. Do the
    same thing, except this time highlight the icon corresponding to your
    wireless adapter. That should show and IP address and some other info.

    If there is nothing shown for details for the wireless adapter then, on
    both laptops, do this:

    1. Open a Command Prompt window (Start > Run > type "cmd" without
    quotes and click OK).

    2. In the black command prompt window that opens, type
    "ipconfig /all > c:\myconfig.txt" without quotes and press Enter.

    3. Open the file C:\myconfig.txt in Notepad and copy/paste the info
    into your next post. Don't forget to identify which information goes
    with which laptop.

    If you have a spare Ethernet cable lying around, try this experiment in
    the meantime: connect the Ethernet cable between the laptop that can't
    connect to the Internet and one of the 4 jacks on the back of the
    DI-514. You should be able to connect to the Internet. If not, post
    any error messages that appear as well as the "Details" from the Local
    Area Connection icon.

    You should know that the DI-514 is a fairly old product. If you bought
    it before around August 2004, you need to check to determine if you have
    the latest firmware or your wireless network will be pretty insecure.
    However, let's wait until we get your second laptop connected to the
    Internet before tackling that problem.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Aug 29, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Jim Guest

    "Marie" <> wrote in message
    > It has a dlink wireless card-isn't that enough? That is what is in the
    > laptop
    > that I can go online with has, but that laptop is on the network.

    Sorry, the list that you posted does not have a dlink card.
    The only adapter I see is the SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.
    What does the Device Manager show? You get to this listing as follows:
    Open Control Panel
    Click "System"
    Click "Hardware"
    Click "Device Manager"
    Click "Network"
    This listing will show all of the network adapters which XP can find.
    If there is an adapter that you know is installed, but does not show on this
    list, there is likely to be a hardware issue with the adapter (i..e., it is
    broken)
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 29, 2007
  11. I think we may be onto something. The network card does not show up in
    device manager. I switched cards nad both work on laptop #1 nad neither work
    on laptop #2. My son suggested I go to dlinks site and download the drivers-
    I found the drivers for it but when I click download nothing happens-I can't
    figure out what I am doing wrong.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    What model network card do you have?

    Lem, Aug 29, 2007
  13. dwl-g650

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Guest Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:50:00 -0700, Marie
    <> wrote:

    >dwl-g650

    Please learn to snip un-needed text.

    Guest, Aug 30, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    You said that when you "click download nothing happens." After you pick
    the appropriate revision, you see a section labeled "Drivers." In this
    section, you don't click where it says "download." Rather, you click on
    the yellow check mark under "WinXP." You then get a screen where you
    will be given a choice of one or more downloads. You click on the word
    "download" in this screen (for the appropriate driver). If clicking on
    the word "download" here doesn't work, try right-clicking on it and
    selecting "save target as" or "save link as."

    If you have Rev. A, download driver rev. 1.08
    If you have Rev. B, download driver rev. 2.54
    If you have Rev. C, download driver rev. 3.17

    If for some reason, you still can't click on those links try these:

    For Rev. A:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg650/Driver/dwlg650A1_drivers_108.zip

    For Rev. B:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg650_revB/Driver/dwlg650_driver_254.zip

    For Rev. C:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg650_revC/Driver/DWL-G650C_driver_317.zip

    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Aug 30, 2007