  1. I have a desktop that is hard wired to a router and a printer. I also have a
    laptop with a wireless connection to the router. Is it possible to network
    the two computers with this setup and access the printer from the laptop?
    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlUg==?=, Dec 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlUg==?=

    Tom Lake Guest

    "GeorgeR" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a desktop that is hard wired to a router and a printer. I also have
    > laptop with a wireless connection to the router. Is it possible to network
    > the two computers with this setup and access the printer from the laptop?

    Yes. I have the same setup except instead of the laptop, I have two
    desktops
    connected wirelessly. My main computer is connected to the router by a
    CAT-5 cable.
    All the computers can see each other, share files and use the printer
    connected to my main
    PC. I have the Ad Hoc setup with no password required to get to the router
    and no
    WEP or anything like that. I have no people driving by to worry about.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Dec 17, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlUg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If the computers are connected to a Router and can use the Internet, then
    you already have a Network, and you need to configure File and Printer
    Sharing.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Thanks. They are connected to the router and I selected file and printer
    sharing when I did that. But it does not seem to be working like Tom's is.
    Maybe the security causes a problem but I would think it shouldn't. I will
    look in to the reference you gave. I spent all tonight trying to secure my
    network.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlUg==?=, Dec 19, 2005
  5. are the two routers the same make, and model? if so its possible, install
    software for printer on laptop run it through the router make sure you set up
    a network though otherwise it can cause major headaches trying to figure it
    out

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4=?=, Dec 25, 2005