home networking

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philio, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. philio

    philio Guest

    im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a laptop
    od the specifications below.

    computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed, 80Gb
    HDD, network card.

    laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock speed,
    80Gb HDD, network card.

    i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont want
    dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
    card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid it as
    it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
    between these two, the files , etc...

    any help apreciated.

    BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im on
    real low budget on internet

    philio, Feb 13, 2005

  2. philio

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "philio" <> wrote in message
    | im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
    laptop
    | od the specifications below.
    |
    | computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
    80Gb
    | HDD, network card.
    |
    | laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
    speed,
    | 80Gb HDD, network card.
    |
    | i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont want
    | dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
    | card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid it
    as
    | it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
    | between these two, the files , etc...
    |
    | any help apreciated.
    |
    | BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im on
    | real low budget on internet

    One cable needed - CAT5 (or better) crossover ethernet cable. That's it. Run
    the XP Home Network Setup Wizard on the XP laptop, then the ME box. Of
    course, then you need to learn about file sharing, printer sharing, etc. I'd
    suggest you do some reading on the Internet -

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
    or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005

  3. philio

    philio Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "philio" <> wrote in message
    > | im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
    > laptop
    > | od the specifications below.
    > |
    > | computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
    > 80Gb
    > | HDD, network card.
    > |
    > | laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
    > speed,
    > | 80Gb HDD, network card.
    > |
    > | i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont

    want
    > | dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
    > | card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid

    it
    > as
    > | it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
    > | between these two, the files , etc...
    > |
    > | any help apreciated.
    > |
    > | BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im on
    > | real low budget on internet
    > |

    > One cable needed - CAT5 (or better) crossover ethernet cable. That's it.

    Run
    > the XP Home Network Setup Wizard on the XP laptop, then the ME box. Of
    > course, then you need to learn about file sharing, printer sharing, etc.

    I'd
    > suggest you do some reading on the Internet -
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    > http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
    > or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...

    cool, ill check it out.

    philio, Feb 16, 2005
  4. philio

    Asim Saleem Guest

    Hi

    You need UTP cable cat 5 cross over. On the windows LAP top configure the
    dialup connection. In control Panel, go to network connection, right click
    on dialup connection. Click on Advance and enable ICS (Internet Connection
    Sharing). It will assign the network card as 192.168.1.1 as will enable DHCP
    server.

    In Windows ME computer, go to TCP/IP properties of your network card and in
    the IP address select "Obtain IP Address Automatically". Smililarly with
    Gateway. Although if you want to put DNS number, hostname and domain, you
    need to check your ISP. I am sure it will sort out your problems.

    Asim Saleem
    ADSL level 2 Technical Support
    TPG Internet, Australia
    www.tpg.com.au

    Asim Saleem, Feb 16, 2005
  5. philio

    bmast17 Guest

    > im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
    > laptop od the specifications below.
    >
    > computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
    > 80Gb HDD, network card.
    >
    > laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
    > speed, 80Gb HDD, network card.
    >
    > i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont
    > want dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have
    > wireless card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to
    > cope wid it as it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the
    > internet conection between these two, the files , etc...
    >
    > any help apreciated.
    >
    > BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im
    > on real low budget on internet

    on Monday ... grab one of these at Compusa for $10 bucks .... and one
    cat5 cable ........ look down the page a bit for the netgear router

    http://www.compusa.com/specials/sales/email_host/nosee218.html

    killer deal .. will work in yer current sitch .... and down the line the
    $15 bucks ya spend on Monday including gas will serve you well .....

    even though $15 and a router is overkill right now .. and is more than
    yer request for 'no extra gear' ....... I would go for it .......

    I'm gonna grab one and I already have a lil network that works fine

    bmast17, Feb 19, 2005