    the desktop runs XP Pro.

    Thanks,
    Jay
    =?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=, Jan 7, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Actually if I look at your Network you appears to be connected. Now software
    running on your computers may be blocking your connection, and it would not
    help to add a wireless connection in my opinion. You need to explain what
    you want to do, that you can't. This page may help:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 7, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

    FedUp Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 12:28:00 -0800, Jay wrote:

    > Hi, I have a dektop and a laptop connected to the Internet independently the
    > following way. Its a fully wired setup.
    > (...Internet...)
    > |
    > [cable modem]
    > |
    > [hub]
    > | | |
    > [desktop] [laptop] [ip phone]
    >
    > But the desktop and the laptop are not connected to each other. Both have an
    > additional wireless network card in each of them. Can I be be given a
    > suggestion on how to easily connect these two computers that is also secure?
    >
    > I tried to setup a "duplicate" wireless network and WorkGroup with these two
    > computers, but they could never see each other. The laptop runs XP Home, and
    > the desktop runs XP Pro.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jay

    Looks like you are setup to get three public ip addresses from your cable
    company. These will not necessarily be on the same subnet, in fact they
    probably are not. So if you want a LAN between your two computers you will
    need to change out the hub with a router.
    FedUp, Jan 7, 2007
  4. Hi
    You can configure the two Wireless cards with static IPs to Ad-Hoc mode and
    the two computers would be able to talk if sharing is configured too.
    However the Wireless would be a separate Network. You would have a private
    network between the Wireless, and the WAN type of all the world is my
    Network that you have now.
    In general the type of Internet connection that you have now is rather
    dangerous since all your hardware is sitting directly on the Internet.
    You should leave the IP phone as is, and plug a Wireless Cable/DSL Router to
    the Hub and plug the two computers on the LAN side of the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 7, 2007
  5. Hi
    Since you are behind a Router you should have a regular LAN Sharing and the
    wire connection. Three No real use to add Ad-Hoc wireless under this
    condition.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 8, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Which is where I was at originally :>) before you where diverted down this
    path. Most likely it is a firewall setting.

    David Hettel, Jan 8, 2007