Home Networking Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jul 27, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    A bit on the elderly side now, and together with not being all that sharp
    with this stuff, would like to ask the following, please.

    I have done a Google search for this, as well as reading the Comcast Site,
    but still quite confused.

    Using Comcast now (broadband) for my one PC.
    Works fine.

    Another family member wants their own PC.

    a. Can a single Comcast account allow for two differet home-networked PC's
    to share, or do you need two accounts ? Trying to get thru to ask Comcast
    is an exercise in futility.

    b. I would like to hook it up as a wireless network.

    - I'm told by a friend that I probably need a Router. O.K.

    - Also, that each PC needs a NIC card. Is this true ?

    If so, does the NIC card pick up the wireless signals outgoing from the
    Router, or is there some kind of aerial, or something "else" to plug into
    the PC, e.g., a USB Port, to grab these signals ?

    Any really, really, simple web link that you know of that shows, and
    explains, all of this ?

    Much thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jul 27, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Doug Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A bit on the elderly side now, and together with not being all that
    >> sharp with this stuff, would like to ask the following, please.
    >>
    >> I have done a Google search for this, as well as reading the Comcast
    >> Site, but still quite confused.
    >>
    >> Using Comcast now (broadband) for my one PC.
    >> Works fine.
    >>
    >> Another family member wants their own PC.
    >>
    >> a. Can a single Comcast account allow for two differet
    >> home-networked PC's to share, or do you need two accounts ? Trying
    >> to get thru to ask Comcast is an exercise in futility.

    Yes

    >> b. I would like to hook it up as a wireless network.
    >>
    >> - I'm told by a friend that I probably need a Router. O.K.
    >>
    >> - Also, that each PC needs a NIC card. Is this true ?
    >>
    >> If so, does the NIC card pick up the wireless signals outgoing from
    >> the Router, or is there some kind of aerial, or something "else" to
    >> plug into the PC, e.g., a USB Port, to grab these signals ?
    >>
    >> Any really, really, simple web link that you know of that shows, and
    >> explains, all of this ?
    >>
    >> Much thanks,
    >> Bob

    http://www.ezlan.net/ should answer the rest of your questions in fairly
    non-technical lingo..
    Doug, Jul 27, 2009

  3. Doug wrote:

    > Robert11 wrote:
    >>> a. Can a single Comcast account allow for two differet
    >>> home-networked PC's to share, or do you need two accounts ? Trying
    >>> to get thru to ask Comcast is an exercise in futility.

    > Yes

    The answer is "Yes - a single account will allow two (multiple) PCs to
    share." And "No - you do not need two accounts."

    Get the router you mentioned, not only for sharing the connection, but
    also for providing a wall between you and the hackers out there. Each
    PC will require a NIC, either wireless or wired.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 27, 2009
  4. Robert11

    RickMerrill Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A bit on the elderly side now, and together with not being all that sharp
    > with this stuff, would like to ask the following, please.
    >
    > I have done a Google search for this, as well as reading the Comcast Site,
    > but still quite confused.
    >
    > Using Comcast now (broadband) for my one PC.
    > Works fine.
    >
    > Another family member wants their own PC.
    >
    > a. Can a single Comcast account allow for two differet home-networked PC's
    > to share, or do you need two accounts ? Trying to get thru to ask Comcast
    > is an exercise in futility.
    >
    > b. I would like to hook it up as a wireless network.
    >
    > - I'm told by a friend that I probably need a Router. O.K.
    >
    > - Also, that each PC needs a NIC card. Is this true ?
    >
    > If so, does the NIC card pick up the wireless signals outgoing from the
    > Router, or is there some kind of aerial, or something "else" to plug into
    > the PC, e.g., a USB Port, to grab these signals ?
    >
    > Any really, really, simple web link that you know of that shows, and
    > explains, all of this ?
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    Yes, BUT you must add a "Lynksys router" ($35 at RS, etc.) of either the
    wired or wireless sort - I recommend the WIRED kind only!

    If you just add an ethernet or wireless "hub" you will have to pay more$
    to Comcast.

    One NIC (Network Interface Card) is needed for each computer. If you get
    a NIC that is 1Gb/100Mb/10Mb then it should both select speed and wire
    polarity. Most computers in the last 5yrs come with a NIC installed.

    The newsgroup / usenet group alt.online-service.comcast
    is another place to ask. The ezlan.net website mentioned by another
    responder is also good for beginners.

    Bottom line: get either a "router" or a "switch".
    RickMerrill, Jul 27, 2009
  5. RickMerrill wrote:

    > Yes, BUT you must add a "Lynksys [sic] router"

    Why does it have to be a Linksys? I have a D-Link and it works fine on
    cable.

    > of either the wired or wireless sort - I recommend the WIRED kind
    > only!

    Wired only (very hard to find these days), or wireless so long as one
    knows how to secure it. Maybe he lives on a farm.

    > If you just add an ethernet or wireless "hub" you will have to pay
    > more$ to Comcast.

    Nobody mentioned a "hub" so far. And why pay more? Maybe they give
    multiple IPs. Maybe they don't charge for extra IP.

    > Bottom line: get either a "router" or a "switch".

    Bottom line: get a router.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 27, 2009
  6. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    From OP: Clarifications Please, Re: Home Networking Questions

    Hello,

    Thanks again for help; really appreciate it.

    Just a clarification, please:

    Each wireless etworked PC, in addition to a NIC card for each, also requires
    one of those LAN Cards.
    Is this true ? If so, are they ever combined into a single card ?

    Would the PC case have to be opened up, or can a NIC card and a LAN both be
    implementeed from the outside ?

    And, the communication with my single Comcast account (thru my Router &
    their Modem) would
    be "simultaneous" usage of the two PC's; not either, or ? True ?

    Age, and lack of knowledge, sure does catch up with one. I used to teach
    analog computers back in the old, really old, days. Remember analog
    computers ?

    Thank you very much,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jul 28, 2009
  7. Robert11

    M.L. Guest

    >Bottom line: get a router.

    Specifically, get a wireless router since the OP already indicated he
    wanted wireless connectivity.
    M.L., Jul 28, 2009