home networking Questions

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by NW Technicals, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. Hello Folks,
    I recently moved into a new home where it is pre-wired with Cat5 and I get
    internet connection thru it.
    They have World Wide Packets router/switch( I do not know the difference) it
    reads as Lightening Edge 38FSP

    I have a computer connected to it and I use a Linksys 58G wireless router
    which is plugged into wall to connect my Laptops.

    So far I attempted in vain to connect them all in a home networking setup.

    I created workgroup called Home1 and Named my Desktop and DK1 and Laptop as
    LT1

    I tried creating Home networking and copied the netsetup and tried to
    replicate at the other machine(being laptop) . They both show as they are on
    Workgroup but not showing the other computer . I enabled Printer and
    filesharing on both boxes

    Thanks a lot in advance for any advice in connecting these computers.

    Reagrds
    Lonestar in Northwest
    Tim
    NW Technicals, Aug 13, 2006

  2. NW Technicals

    Malke Guest

    NW Technicals wrote:

    > Hello Folks,
    > I recently moved into a new home where it is pre-wired with Cat5 and I get
    > internet connection thru it.
    > They have World Wide Packets router/switch( I do not know the difference)
    > it reads as Lightening Edge 38FSP
    >
    > I have a computer connected to it and I use a Linksys 58G wireless router
    > which is plugged into wall to connect my Laptops.
    >
    > So far I attempted in vain to connect them all in a home networking setup.
    >
    > I created workgroup called Home1 and Named my Desktop and DK1 and Laptop
    > as LT1
    >
    > I tried creating Home networking and copied the netsetup and tried to
    > replicate at the other machine(being laptop) . They both show as they are
    > on Workgroup but not showing the other computer . I enabled Printer and
    > filesharing on both boxes

    You need to find out what the "World Wide Packets" hardware is and how to
    configure it. I suspect it is a router and you've now added a wireless
    router with your Linksys. You don't want two routers. If this is the case,
    you need to configure the Linksys as an access point and not a router. The
    Linksys has information on how to do this. However, it is always wise to
    understand what networking hardware you have and how to configure it so
    find out about the "World Wide Packets" device.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Aug 13, 2006

  3. thanks for a quick reply

    Could you please let me know how to turn my WRTP54G into an access point.

    I looked up for a while by now again no Luck.

    Thanks
    Jim

    NW Technicals, Aug 13, 2006
  4. NW Technicals

    Malke Guest

    NW Technicals wrote:

    > thanks for a quick reply
    >
    > Could you please let me know how to turn my WRTP54G into an access point.
    >
    > I looked up for a while by now again no Luck.

    I don't see that model listed on the support page. I see WRT54G and various
    versions. Go to www.linksys.com and click on Support. You can look up your
    exact model (the version number is on the bottom) or contact Linksys
    directly.

    Malke
    Malke, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Thanks and here is the product info

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...626380&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    I could not find any steps to convert this to an access point.

    NW Technicals, Aug 14, 2006
  6. NW Technicals

    Lem Guest

    NW Technicals wrote:
    > Thanks and here is the product info
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...626380&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    >
    > I could not find any steps to convert this to an access point.
    >

    > "Malke" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>NW Technicals wrote:
    >>

    >>>thanks for a quick reply
    >>>
    >>>Could you please let me know how to turn my WRTP54G into an access point.
    >>>
    >>>I looked up for a while by now again no Luck.

    >>I don't see that model listed on the support page. I see WRT54G and
    >>various
    >>versions. Go to www.linksys.com and click on Support. You can look up your
    >>exact model (the version number is on the bottom) or contact Linksys
    >>directly.
    >>
    >>Malke
    >>--
    >>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>Elephant Boy Computers
    >>www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >>"Don't Panic"

    When people say to turn a wireless router into an access point, what
    they usually mean is to turn off the DHCP server and to NOT use the WAN
    port. All necessary directions to turn off ("disable") the DHCP server
    are in the User's Guide for your router (see description of "Basic
    Setup"). Also see http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Lem, Aug 14, 2006
  7. NW Technicals

    Malke Guest

    NW Technicals wrote:

    > Thanks and here is the product info

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...626380&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    > I could not find any steps to convert this to an access point.

    Since I don't work for Linksys tech support and I'm not familiar with that
    particular product, you really will need to call them and speak to someone.
    Alternatively, contact tech support for the Lightening Edge 38FSP and ask
    *them*. Still yet another alternative would be to contact whoever installed
    that equipment in your house and have them set things up for you.

    Malke
    Malke, Aug 14, 2006