    network wizard on the xp computer and also on the 98 computer all says was
    good but nothing happens. Could some one point me in the right dirction,
    Thanks Adam

    Adam Kubica, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Adam Kubica

    Brian Guest

    "Adam Kubica" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:eHyDc.55926$...
    > Hi i have just bought a new computer and am wantin to get all my files off
    > of my old 1. To do this I decided to borrow an ethernet card and home
    > network. I have correctly installed my network cards but i dnt no what to

    do
    > next.
    > 1 computer is on windows xp and the other is on windows 98. I tried the

    home
    > network wizard on the xp computer and also on the 98 computer all says was
    > good but nothing happens. Could some one point me in the right dirction,
    > Thanks Adam

    PC1 IP=192.168.0.1....PC2 IP=192.168.0.2
    put both pcs into the same workgroup
    share all files that need to be transfered.
    if they are not found through the names.. then map em using the explore
    type in adress bar from PC1 \\192.168.0.2
    oh and disconnect your i-net connection beforehand and deactivate your
    firewall... cos i can't be arsed telling you how to configure it..
    thats all you are getting off me ... cos this q pops up all the time..

    Brian, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Adam Kubica

    Mike Walker Guest

    If what Brian is saying will not work (also make sure the subnet mask is set
    for 255.255.255.0),
    take the old had drive out, change the jumper
    on the back to 'slave' and plug it into the new pc, then simply copy hard
    drive to hard drive
    Mike.

    Mike Walker, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Adam Kubica

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Mike Walker" <> wrote:

    >If what Brian is saying will not work (also make sure the subnet mask is set
    >for 255.255.255.0),
    > take the old had drive out, change the jumper
    >on the back to 'slave' and plug it into the new pc, then simply copy hard
    >drive to hard drive
    >Mike.

    There can be a couple of problems with that.

    1. Sometimes (not often but it does happen) an old drive and a new
    drive will not work totether as master and slave, especially when the
    two drives are from different manufacturers and they were manufactured
    several years apart.

    2. Some drives use a different jumper setting for "stand alone master
    drive" and for "master drive with slave present" so connecting as
    master and slave may require removing the master drive from the
    computer as well in order to change the jumper setting.

    For these reasons I always prefer, and also advise others, to connect
    the second hard drive as master drive on the secondary IDE channel. In
    most computers this can be done quite simply by unplugging the data
    cable and power lead from the CDROM drive and using these to connect
    up the temporary drive.

    This avoids any possible problems with the jumper setting on the
    existing hard drive in the new computer and also any possible
    incompatibility issues between the two drives.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jun 27, 2004
  5. Adam Kubica

    Mike Walker Guest

    Good point Ron, thanks for that,
    Mike.

    Mike Walker, Jun 27, 2004
  6. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:40:54 +0100, "Mike Walker"
    <> wrote:

    > take the old had drive out, change the jumper
    >on the back to 'slave' and plug it into the new pc, then simply copy hard
    >drive to hard drive
    >Mike.

    Not always as simple as it sounds. You could use a program like
    Norton Ghost or Disk Copy but that would give you a "clone" of the old
    drive including Windows 98. Another idea would be to use an external
    hard drive with a USB interface to use as a "wheelbarrow" for the old
    files.
    --

    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

    Alasdair Baxter, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Adam Kubica

    Ron Da Voo Guest

    If you are using a crossover cable, then that IS the problem! I had a
    go around with Microsoft over this one & after many hours on the phone
    with their tech support, I was told to use a hub instead of a
    crossover cable. It worked, problem solved.

    Ron Da Voo, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Adam Kubica

    Brian Guest

    > > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:40:54 +0100, "Mike Walker"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > take the old had drive out, change the jumper
    > > >on the back to 'slave' and plug it into the new pc, then simply copy

    hard
    > > >drive to hard drive
    > > >Mike.

    > > Not always as simple as it sounds. You could use a program like
    > > Norton Ghost or Disk Copy but that would give you a "clone" of the old
    > > drive including Windows 98. Another idea would be to use an external
    > > hard drive with a USB interface to use as a "wheelbarrow" for the old
    > > files.

    bollocks!! the ms tech support just couldn't (like always) be arsed helping
    properly...
    has he answered back saying that it hasn't worked.. NO...
    what the **** does a hub do what a crossover doesn't??
    its the fucking same thing it just supports more than one connection...
    dimwit

    Brian, Jun 28, 2004