    internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    internet connection immediately stops working.

    What's going on here? thanks.
    Smith, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Smith

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    > internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    > internet connection immediately stops working.
    >
    > What's going on here? thanks.

    make sure the other nic doesn't have the same IP as the primary.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Smith

    Smith Guest

    >>I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    >>internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    >>internet connection immediately stops working.
    >>
    >>What's going on here? thanks.

    > make sure the other nic doesn't have the same IP as the primary.

    It doesn't.
    Smith, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Smith

    Dave Stanton Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52:15 +1000, Smith wrote:

    > I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    > internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    > internet connection immediately stops working.
    >
    > What's going on here? thanks.

    Firewall blocking local lan ?

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Smith

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52:15 +1000, Smith <> wrote:

    >I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    >internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    >internet connection immediately stops working.
    >
    >What's going on here? thanks.

    Probably help if you give more detail.

    What OS?

    What NICs?

    What IPs?

    You're using DSL?

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Smith

    Smith Guest

    Dave Stanton wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:52:15 +1000, Smith wrote:
    >

    >>I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    >>internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    >>internet connection immediately stops working.
    >>
    >>What's going on here? thanks.

    > Firewall blocking local lan ?

    Both connections work, but only separately, not at the same time. All
    firewalls switched off.
    Smith, Aug 29, 2004
  7. On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:24:35 +1000, Smith <> wrote:

    >Both connections work, but only separately, not at the same time. All
    >firewalls switched off.

    Operating system ?
    IP addresses (ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt in the Run box of start
    if its windows XP) ?
    fixed addresses or DHCP allocated, if so by what ?
    outline of LAN structure - what is the internet connectivity etc ?

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Aug 29, 2004
  8. Smith

    Bernard Peek Guest

    In message <>, Smith <> writes
    >I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    >internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    >internet connection immediately stops working.
    >
    >What's going on here? thanks.

    What Operating System are you using?

    --
    Bernard Peek
    Bernard Peek, Aug 29, 2004
  9. Smith

    Smith Guest

    I've given up trying to network XP. Even when the network did work, it
    was slow and often crashed.

    I never had any problems networking with win98.
    Smith, Aug 30, 2004
  10. Smith

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Smith <> wrote in news::

    > I've given up trying to network XP. Even when the network did work, it
    > was slow and often crashed.
    >
    > I never had any problems networking with win98.

    I have never had a problem networking XP. The one thing you don't want to
    do is use the Wizard and you should use the classic method of setting up
    the XP machine to share files. I use wireless B on the XP laptop on the
    network with sharing resources and it clips along very well with sharing.
    And even with a Win 2K machine and now a Linux machine on the network, XP
    has no problems in sharing resources with any of them and nothing is
    crashing.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 30, 2004
  11. Smith

    Bernard Peek Guest

    In message <>, Smith <> writes
    >I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    >internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    >internet connection immediately stops working.
    >
    >What's going on here? thanks.

    What OS?

    --
    Bernard Peek
    Bernard Peek, Sep 3, 2004
  12. Smith

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Bernard Peek" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, Smith <> writes
    > >I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    > >internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    > >internet connection immediately stops working.
    > >
    > >What's going on here? thanks.

    > What OS?

    doesn't matter... IP conflict, bleh...

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Smith

    Bernard Peek Guest

    In message <zF5_c.4800$>,
    127.0.0.1 <loopy@localhost.?.invalid> writes

    >"Bernard Peek" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <>, Smith <> writes
    >> >I have 2 network cards, and one of them is used to connect to the
    >> >internet. As soon as I so much as enable the other LAN connection, the
    >> >internet connection immediately stops working.
    >> >
    >> >What's going on here? thanks.

    >> What OS?

    >doesn't matter... IP conflict, bleh...

    Apparently not, the OP said that the cards had different addresses. I
    was wondering whether it was a Windows 9x system because I don't think
    that Windows 95 supported multiple cards.

    --
    Bernard Peek
    Bernard Peek, Sep 4, 2004
  14. Smith

    > In message <zF5_c.4800$>,
    > 127.0.0.1 <loopy@localhost.?.invalid> writes
    > >
    > >"Bernard Peek" <> wrote in message
    > >> In message <>, Smith <>

    writes

    > >> What OS?

    > >doesn't matter... IP conflict, bleh...

    > Apparently not, the OP said that the cards had different addresses. I
    > was wondering whether it was a Windows 9x system because I don't think
    > that Windows 95 supported multiple cards.

    there was a previous post from the OP when he displayed his ipconfig /all

    saw the IP conflict...

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Sep 4, 2004
  15. Smith

    Ruth Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:35:51 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >I have never had a problem networking XP. The one thing you don't want to
    >do is use the Wizard and you should use the classic method of setting up
    >the XP machine to share files. I use wireless B on the XP laptop on the
    >network with sharing resources and it clips along very well with sharing.
    >And even with a Win 2K machine and now a Linux machine on the network, XP
    >has no problems in sharing resources with any of them and nothing is
    >crashing.

    Saw this message you sent to someone else Duane and as I run Win XP
    Pro and have a network card set up in two c'ters I wondered if you
    could tell me please what you mean by the "classic" Method of setting
    up the XP machine to share files.

    Currently the second machine connects to the internet through the main
    machine also to the printer but I can't get them to share files!

    Both ip configs are different on each machine.

    Ruth.
    Ruth, Sep 12, 2004
  16. Smith

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Ruth <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:35:51 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have never had a problem networking XP. The one thing you don't want
    >>to do is use the Wizard and you should use the classic method of
    >>setting up the XP machine to share files. I use wireless B on the XP
    >>laptop on the network with sharing resources and it clips along very
    >>well with sharing. And even with a Win 2K machine and now a Linux
    >>machine on the network, XP has no problems in sharing resources with
    >>any of them and nothing is crashing.

    > Saw this message you sent to someone else Duane and as I run Win XP
    > Pro and have a network card set up in two c'ters I wondered if you
    > could tell me please what you mean by the "classic" Method of setting
    > up the XP machine to share files.
    >
    > Currently the second machine connects to the internet through the main
    > machine also to the printer but I can't get them to share files!
    >
    > Both ip configs are different on each machine.
    >
    > Ruth.

    Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. Basically, the classic approach
    for XP is the way it's done for Win 2K Pro where there is no Network Wizard
    assisting you with the network setup. You configure everything yourself
    with Win NT 4.0 and 2K.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Hopefully, the link will help you set-up your network.

    The second thing you may want to look into is getting a cheap NAT router
    and letting it be the gateway device for the LAN and WAN, which is a plug
    it up and go device that needs little or no configuration on your part and
    is better protection from the Internet and porvides the ICS too. You can
    get a good router on sale for around $30.00

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 15, 2004
  17. Smith

    Ruth Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:53:53 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >Ruth <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:35:51 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have never had a problem networking XP. The one thing you don't want
    >>>to do is use the Wizard and you should use the classic method of
    >>>setting up the XP machine to share files. I use wireless B on the XP
    >>>laptop on the network with sharing resources and it clips along very
    >>>well with sharing. And even with a Win 2K machine and now a Linux
    >>>machine on the network, XP has no problems in sharing resources with
    >>>any of them and nothing is crashing.

    >> Saw this message you sent to someone else Duane and as I run Win XP
    >> Pro and have a network card set up in two c'ters I wondered if you
    >> could tell me please what you mean by the "classic" Method of setting
    >> up the XP machine to share files.
    >>
    >> Currently the second machine connects to the internet through the main
    >> machine also to the printer but I can't get them to share files!
    >>
    >> Both ip configs are different on each machine.
    >>
    >> Ruth.
    >>

    >Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. Basically, the classic approach
    >for XP is the way it's done for Win 2K Pro where there is no Network Wizard
    >assisting you with the network setup. You configure everything yourself
    >with Win NT 4.0 and 2K.
    >
    >http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >
    >Hopefully, the link will help you set-up your network.
    >
    >The second thing you may want to look into is getting a cheap NAT router
    >and letting it be the gateway device for the LAN and WAN, which is a plug
    >it up and go device that needs little or no configuration on your part and
    >is better protection from the Internet and porvides the ICS too. You can
    >get a good router on sale for around $30.00
    >
    >http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thanks for your reply and your comments. I found the first link you
    quoted above of particular help.........very useful indeed.

    Ruth, Sep 16, 2004
  18. Smith

    Ruth, Sep 16, 2004
  19. Smith

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > Thanks for your reply and your comments. I found the first link you
    > quoted above of particular help.........very useful indeed.

    You are welcome.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 16, 2004