Home networking problem using ME, 98 and XP, please help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Adam Plotch, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Adam Plotch

    Adam Plotch Guest

    I'm running a network for 3 computers at home over a router. Each machine
    has a different OS: 98, ME, and XP. All 3 are set for sharing all documents
    and files.

    From the XP machine, there's no problem viewing the files on the other two.
    However, from the 98 and ME machines, I can't seem to access the files on
    the XP machine properly. I was able to "Map Network Drive" for the 98 and ME
    machines, so that on the 98 machine, the ME drive appears as the E:\ drive,
    and vice versa: on the ME machine, the 98's drive appears as the E:\ drive
    as well. But the only way I can access the XP's drive is by clicking on "My
    Network Places" on the ME machine and then clicking "Entire Network". If I
    do that, I can see the XP's drive, but only certian folders. And when I
    right-click the icon for the XP machine, the option to "Map Network Drive"
    is grayed out.

    Is there any way that I can get the XP drive to appear as a drive on the ME
    and 98 machines, the same way that I can view the contents of the ME as a
    drive on the 98 and vice versa?

    I hope that was clear...please email me or post here
    () Thank you!

    Adam Plotch, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Adam Plotch

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Adam Plotch" <> wrote:

    >I'm running a network for 3 computers at home over a router. Each machine
    >has a different OS: 98, ME, and XP. All 3 are set for sharing all documents
    >and files.
    >
    >From the XP machine, there's no problem viewing the files on the other two.
    >However, from the 98 and ME machines, I can't seem to access the files on
    >the XP machine properly. I was able to "Map Network Drive" for the 98 and ME
    >machines, so that on the 98 machine, the ME drive appears as the E:\ drive,
    >and vice versa: on the ME machine, the 98's drive appears as the E:\ drive
    >as well. But the only way I can access the XP's drive is by clicking on "My
    >Network Places" on the ME machine and then clicking "Entire Network". If I
    >do that, I can see the XP's drive, but only certian folders. And when I
    >right-click the icon for the XP machine, the option to "Map Network Drive"
    >is grayed out.
    >
    >Is there any way that I can get the XP drive to appear as a drive on the ME
    >and 98 machines, the same way that I can view the contents of the ME as a
    >drive on the 98 and vice versa?
    >
    >I hope that was clear...please email me or post here
    >() Thank you!

    Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --