Home Networking, Printer sharing, Never worked, Internet OK

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MEG, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. MEG

    MEG Guest

    OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
    run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
    reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
    disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
    I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
    a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
    really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
    fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.
    MEG, Jun 11, 2007

  2. MEG

    PeeCee Guest

    "MEG" <> wrote in message
    > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
    > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
    > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
    > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
    > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
    > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
    > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
    > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    Meg

    This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    the firewalls at once.
    The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 11, 2007

  3. MEG

    MEG Guest

    On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "MEG" <> wrote in message

    > > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    > > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    > > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    > > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    > > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    > > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    > > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    > > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
    > > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
    > > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
    > > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    > > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
    > > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    > > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    > > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    > > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
    > > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    > > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
    > > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
    > > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    > > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    > Meg
    >
    > This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    > the firewalls at once.
    > The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    I would think that meant there was a connection.
    MEG, Jun 12, 2007
  4. MEG

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "MEG" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >> "MEG" <> wrote in message

    >> > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    >> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    >> > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    >> > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    >> > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    >> > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    >> > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    >> > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
    >> > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
    >> > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
    >> > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    >> > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
    >> > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    >> > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    >> > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    >> > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
    >> > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    >> > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
    >> > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
    >> > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    >> > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    >> Meg
    >>
    >> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    >> the firewalls at once.
    >> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same
    >> WorkGroup.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    > I would think that meant there was a connection.

    Call your local neighborhood teenage geek over - they'll have you going in
    no time <g>
    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  5. MEG wrote:
    > On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"MEG" <> wrote in message

    >>>OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    >>>network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    >>>have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    >>>the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    >>>ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    >>>2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    >>>the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    >>>the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
    >>>run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
    >>>reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
    >>>disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    >>>thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
    >>>I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    >>>Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    >>>I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    >>>thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
    >>>a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    >>>modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
    >>>really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
    >>>fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    >>>able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    >>Meg
    >>
    >>This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    >>the firewalls at once.
    >>The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.
    >>
    >>Best
    >>Paul.

    > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    > I would think that meant there was a connection.

    Have you "shared" any drives or folders? Also recreate any profiles with
    exactly the same user names and passwords on both machines.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 12, 2007
  6. MEG

    MEG Guest

    On Jun 11, 5:46 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "MEG" <> wrote in message

    > > On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > >> "MEG" <> wrote in message

    > >> Meg

    > >> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    > >> the firewalls at once.
    > >> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same
    > >> WorkGroup.

    > >> Best
    > >> Paul.

    > > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    > > I would think that meant there was a connection.

    > Call your local neighborhood teenage geek over - they'll have you going in
    > no time <g>

    I've been thinking about something along that line.
    MEG, Jun 12, 2007
  7. MEG

    MEG Guest

    On Jun 11, 5:52 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > MEG wrote:
    > > On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    > >>"MEG" <> wrote in message

    > >>Meg

    > >>This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    > >>the firewalls at once.
    > >>The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.

    > >>Best
    > >>Paul.

    > > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    > > I would think that meant there was a connection.

    > Have you "shared" any drives or folders? Also recreate any profiles with
    > exactly the same user names and passwords on both machines.

    I've shared a bunch on this computer I'll double check the other
    one. I'm not sure what you mean 'profiles'. I've made the network
    setup disk from one computer and transfered it to the other a dozen
    times. Thanks for the thought however.
    MEG, Jun 12, 2007
  8. MEG

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "MEG" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 11, 5:46 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "MEG" <> wrote in message

    >> > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    >> > I would think that meant there was a connection.

    >> Call your local neighborhood teenage geek over - they'll have you going
    >> in
    >> no time <g>

    > I've been thinking about something along that line.

    And most will work for pizza ;)
    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  9. MEG

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:50:40 -0000, MEG wrote:

    >On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >> "MEG" <> wrote in message

    >> > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home

    I have always wondered why there are so many posts saying these things
    are so difficult.

    >> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    >> > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    >> > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    >> > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    >> > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    >> > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    >> > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have

    Less story and what disables type connections. The Ethernet network
    adapter card is usually very easy to identify.

    >> > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never

    Never used then and IIRC several posters say it either works or more
    often doesn't

    >> > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being

    It is, IIRC that's the Ethernet chipset built in on some motherboards.
    You motherboard manual or specs should say that.

    Checking www.google.com it is,
    VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter 3.54.0.439

    >> > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    >> > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).

    Ethernet is the LAN technology. With the router you mentioned it's how
    you get your LAN connection to your PCs and the WAN connection through
    the router to your ISP, hence internet.

    This should be the (usually) enabled Local Area Connection in Network
    Connections.

    >> > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    >> > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    >> > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    >> > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is

    For file / print sharing once it's working you will likely find an allow
    F/P (or local NetBIOS) traffic option in the firewalls.

    >> > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    >> > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I

    BT in the UK use modems with 2Wire names.

    >> > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng

    Only thing that needed changed for our place is disable wireless and
    make sure the name/password is set.

    >> > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    >> > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    >> Meg
    >>
    >> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    >> the firewalls at once.
    >> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    >Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    >I would think that meant there was a connection.

    So what did you ping the machine name or it's IP address? There is a big
    difference.

    F/P sharing is really odd, many times connecting to a share as
    \\IPaddress\c$ will work and the \\computername\creadshare doesn't

    It will eventually.

    As mentioned same workgroup and same username/password on both PCs as
    well.

    Me
    why?, Jun 12, 2007
  10. MEG

    MEG Guest

    > > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    >> have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    >> the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    >> ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    >> 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    >> the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    >> the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have

    > Less story and what disables type connections. The Ethernet network
    > adapter card is usually very easy to identify.

    I don't know what you are trying to say there. I don't have an
    adapter card, it is probably on the motherboard, I just plugged it in.

    >> run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never

    > Never used then and IIRC several posters say it either works or more
    > often doesn't

    So, got a link to instructions on how to do it without the Automatic?

    >> reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being

    > It is, IIRC that's the Ethernet chipset built in on some motherboards.
    > You motherboard manual or specs should say that.

    So, should I be using it? when I do the setup it says the Rhine II is
    disconnected yet I have a cable in the only connection on the back of
    the computer. I just choose "ignore" because it makes no damn
    sense.

    > Checking www.google.comit is,
    > VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter 3.54.0.439

    Yeah, I looked it up to but according to the computer the cable is
    disconnected.

    >> disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    >> thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).

    > Ethernet is the LAN technology. With the router you mentioned it's how
    > you get your LAN connection to your PCs and the WAN connection through
    > the router to your ISP, hence internet.

    OK, I got that part.

    > This should be the (usually) enabled Local Area Connection in Network
    > Connections.

    >> I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    >> Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    >> I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    >> thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea.

    > For file / print sharing once it's working you will likely find an allow
    > F/P (or local NetBIOS) traffic option in the firewalls.

    found that in McAffee already

    >> a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    >> modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I

    > BT in the UK use modems with 2Wire names.

    >> really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everything is working

    0> Only thing that needed changed for our place is disable wireless
    and
    > make sure the name/password is set.

    I use the wireless for the other computer, I don't see why that would
    be a problem

    >> fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    >> able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    >> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
    >> the firewalls at once.
    >> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.

    Yes, they are both on the same named workgroup, yes, yes, yes.

    >>Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    >>I would think that meant there was a connection.

    > So what did you ping the machine name or it's IP address? There is a big
    > difference.

    Good thought but I pinged the computer by name

    > F/P sharing is really odd, many times connecting to a share as
    > \\IPaddress\c$ will work and the \\computername\creadshare doesn't
    > It will eventually.

    I haven't tried that. So I just put in the names on that auto setup
    or you indicated it probably doesn't work so just what would I change
    or do different?

    > As mentioned same workgroup and same username/password on both PCs as
    > well.

    OK Me, the work group is HOME on both computers, always has been. It
    defaults to MSHOME so I have to change it every time. I haven't seen
    or had need of a password necessary anywhere.

    MEG, Jun 12, 2007
  11. MEG

    MEG Guest

    OK, just a couple more things. I'm confusing things talking about
    the Rhine II as it is on the wireless computer and the wireless
    adapter is connected via USB. Sorry, I've been confusing myself with
    that too. Back and forth too many times.

    I can ping computers both ways now, by computer name. I see the
    network on both McAffee's but I don't see the network on "my network"
    or any shared files...
    MEG, Jun 12, 2007
  12. MEG

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:08:50 -0000, MEG wrote:

    >> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    >>> have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    >>> the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    >>> ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    >>> 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    >>> the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    >>> the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have

    >> Less story and what disables type connections. The Ethernet network
    >> adapter card is usually very easy to identify.

    >I don't know what you are trying to say there. I don't have an
    >adapter card, it is probably on the motherboard, I just plugged it in.

    Same difference, it's a PCI device either a plugin card or built into
    the motherboard. The search from google earlier suggests it's the
    latter.

    >>> run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never

    >> Never used then and IIRC several posters say it either works or more
    >> often doesn't

    >So, got a link to instructions on how to do it without the Automatic?

    See the many recent posts in the last few home networking links, the
    dozen or so have been posted 3 or 4 times in the last few days.

    >>> reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being

    >> It is, IIRC that's the Ethernet chipset built in on some motherboards.
    >> You motherboard manual or specs should say that.

    >So, should I be using it? when I do the setup it says the Rhine II is

    Yes by the looks of it.

    >disconnected yet I have a cable in the only connection on the back of

    Not that msg, it's annoying even Win 2000 did that every so often and
    Win XP loves to pop up disconnect messages.

    Generally this is either a speed/duplex mismatch or cable fault.

    Guessing it's a patch cable as the internet connection is okay.
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable6.htm

    Get another cable.

    You then said both on internet is okay, so if the Rhine II is
    disconnected and you have an internet connection what's missing?

    I haven't checked the router manual, most likely runs at 10/100Mbps
    speeds. It may be the case the Rhine is 10/100/1000 and it's the speed
    and duplex settings.

    XP objects to my gigabit NIC connected to a router with 10/100, even
    when forced. As I have a gigabit switch it's not an issue.
    Same at work today connection to server kept dropping, it was a config
    issue in the NIC settings. The cable / switches / router were all okay.

    From Network Connections for the Local Area Connection Rhine although
    it's giving a problem with disconnected, select the link, right click
    then disable. If the connection drops then it's the correct adapter.
    Re- enable it.

    Right click on the link again this time properties, then next to the
    network hardware at the top click Configure. In the list of properties
    look for Link Speed / Duplex, set those to speed 100 and duplex full.

    Also try auto detect.

    See the picture
    http://www.hmc.edu/cis/doc/how-to/network/winxp/image/network-xp3.jpg
    and
    http://www.halls.mmu.ac.uk/images/stories/Manual images/5 network card property vis dev manager.jpg
    often the speed and duplex is 2 entries and not 1.

    >the computer. I just choose "ignore" because it makes no damn
    >sense.
    >
    >> Checking www.google.comit is,
    >> VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter 3.54.0.439

    >Yeah, I looked it up to but according to the computer the cable is
    >disconnected.

    Then a bit of reading
    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows cable disconnected

    >>> disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    >>> thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).

    <snip>

    >>>Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
    >>>I would think that meant there was a connection.

    >> So what did you ping the machine name or it's IP address? There is a big
    >> difference.

    >Good thought but I pinged the computer by name

    Good, that's most of the F/P working it relies on names, and the
    firewalls allowing NetBIOS.

    What you may want to do is always turn on 1 PC a few minutes before the
    other, if XP home is like other ver of Win then 1 PC prefers to be the
    name host.

    >> F/P sharing is really odd, many times connecting to a share as
    >> \\IPaddress\c$ will work and the \\computername\creadshare doesn't
    >> It will eventually.

    >I haven't tried that. So I just put in the names on that auto setup
    >or you indicated it probably doesn't work so just what would I change
    >or do different?

    So if PC2 is called PC2 then on PC1 you map a network drive to \\PC2\c$
    then again I only assume XP home has the admin shares. If it doesn't
    then you need to create a share on PC2 first.

    There you go, 1st from www.google.com

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314984
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition does not create hidden administrative
    shares.

    So create a share first.

    From the list of networking sites, 1 of those turns up a F/P link,

    SmallNetBuilder - How To: Tips for Fixing XP File and Printer sharing
    How To: Tips for Fixing XP File and Printer sharing, Exc December 18,
    2006 ... Also, resent security updates of windows such as KB925454,
    KB926255 resulted ...
    www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24421/53/ - 43k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    from a www.google.com search.

    another site,

    Windows XP Simple File Sharing
    Windows XP lets you share a computer's disks and folders with other
    computers on the network, using a method called Simple File Sharing. ...
    www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm - 120k - Cached
    - Similar pages

    >> As mentioned same workgroup and same username/password on both PCs as
    >> well.

    >OK Me, the work group is HOME on both computers, always has been. It
    >defaults to MSHOME so I have to change it every time. I haven't seen
    >or had need of a password necessary anywhere.

    Leave it at the default then, although it shouldn't change. MS can take
    many minutes to sort out names.

    1 tip for sharing is always to have the same username on both PCs, same
    password also help. Again if it's an XP home difference I wouldn't know.

    Does XP home then default to the 1st account being administrator level?
    That should make things easier.

    How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP
    To troubleshoot a home network issue, first use the Windows XP Home and
    Small Office .... Troubleshooting file and printer sharing. Through a
    home network, ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007 - Similar pages

    Me
    why?, Jun 12, 2007
  13. MEG

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:05:26 -0000, MEG wrote:

    >OK, just a couple more things. I'm confusing things talking about
    >the Rhine II as it is on the wireless computer and the wireless
    >adapter is connected via USB. Sorry, I've been confusing myself with
    >that too. Back and forth too many times.

    Was heading for that as nothing else makes sense.

    What we do at work is usually rename the Local Area Connection (for the
    Rhine wired port) to something like Onboard NIC, and then disable it.
    That stops the unconnected nessages and if you have the LAC show on
    tooltray it doesn't show as the computer/red x icon.

    >I can ping computers both ways now, by computer name. I see the

    That's a good sign.

    >network on both McAffee's but I don't see the network on "my network"
    >or any shared files...

    That's always trickier.

    As long as the shares exist, you can still map to them only you can't
    browse on 'my network' you just have to type the name in.

    Browsing is messy. 1 guy at work logged 8 faults, visited everybody at
    least 1 reported us to his managers, project team all because he wanted
    to connect to a PC 10ft away. But he couldn't browse all 3 domains and
    14 workgroups. We use a lot of security and restricted permissions.
    He knew exactly the name of the pc and share and it never stopped
    working, he never lost connection. He liked to browse on other PC shares
    not related to his work.

    Add Permissions To Windows Xp Home Shares
    Similar Topics Keywords : add permissions windows xp home shares.
    [tutorial] Pc-pc Home Networking. How to connect 2 computers at home via
    a LAN wire. (3) ...
    www.astahost.com/info.php/add-permissions-windows-xp-home-shares_t13645.html
    - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

    Differences with Windows XP Home Edition
    In addition, you cannot control access to local shares on a computer
    running Windows XP Home Edition from the domain’s user-level security.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457127.aspx - 22k - Cached
    - Similar pages

    Starting to lose track here of what posts had which links.

    Perhaps verify steps / settings from
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936
    How to set up a small network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)

    Another list of steps,
    http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

    Maybe a related sort of issue, browsing shares
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=741741&SiteID=2

    Me
    why?, Jun 12, 2007
  14. MEG

    MEG Guest

    On Jun 12, 2:17 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:05:26 -0000, MEG wrote:
    > >OK, just a couple more things. I'm confusing things talking about
    > >the Rhine II as it is on the wireless computer and the wireless
    > >adapter is connected via USB. Sorry, I've been confusing myself with
    > >that too. Back and forth too many times.

    > Was heading for that as nothing else makes sense.
    >
    > What we do at work is usually rename the Local Area Connection (for the
    > Rhine wired port) to something like Onboard NIC, and then disable it.
    > That stops the unconnected nessages and if you have the LAC show on
    > tooltray it doesn't show as the computer/red x icon.
    >
    > >I can ping computers both ways now, by computer name. I see the

    > That's a good sign.
    >
    > >network on both McAffee's but I don't see the network on "my network"
    > >or any shared files...

    > That's always trickier.
    >
    > As long as the shares exist, you can still map to them only you can't
    > browse on 'my network' you just have to type the name in.
    >
    > Browsing is messy. 1 guy at work logged 8 faults, visited everybody at
    > least 1 reported us to his managers, project team all because he wanted
    > to connect to a PC 10ft away. But he couldn't browse all 3 domains and
    > 14 workgroups. We use a lot of security and restricted permissions.
    > He knew exactly the name of the pc and share and it never stopped
    > working, he never lost connection. He liked to browse on other PC shares
    > not related to his work.
    >
    > Add Permissions To Windows Xp Home Shares
    > Similar Topics Keywords : add permissions windows xp home shares.
    > [tutorial] Pc-pc Home Networking. How to connect 2 computers at home via
    > a LAN wire. (3) ...www.astahost.com/info.php/add-permissions-windows-xp-home-shares_t136...
    > - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > Differences with Windows XP Home Edition
    > In addition, you cannot control access to local shares on a computer
    > running Windows XP Home Edition from the domain's user-level security.
    > ...http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457127.aspx- 22k - Cached
    > - Similar pages
    >
    > Starting to lose track here of what posts had which links.
    >
    > Perhaps verify steps / settings fromhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936
    > How to set up a small network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    >
    > Another list of steps,http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm
    >
    > Maybe a related sort of issue, browsing shareshttp://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=74174...
    >
    > Me

    Thanks, finally some useful suggestions. I'll chew on this for a
    while & see what I can come up with...
    Thanks again.
    MEG, Jun 13, 2007
  15. MEG

    johnshc2002 Guest

    "MEG" <> wrote in message
    > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
    > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
    > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
    > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
    > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
    > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
    > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
    > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
    > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
    > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
    > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
    > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
    > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
    > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
    > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
    > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
    > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

    if all else fails, try this.
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/network_magic/index.html

    good luck,
    johnshc2002, Jun 13, 2007
  16. MEG

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 03:07:02 GMT, johnshc2002 wrote:

    >"MEG" <> wrote in message
    >> OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    >> network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
    >> have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
    >> the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
    >> ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says

    <snip>

    >if all else fails, try this.
    >http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/network_magic/index.html

    Odd, spending $20 on something as simple as sharing.

    >good luck,

    Me
    why?, Jun 13, 2007
  17. MEG

    Plato Guest

  18. MEG

    MEG Guest

    On Jun 13, 9:54 pm, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    > MEG wrote:
    >
    > > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
    > > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I

    > Networking
    >
    > http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-n.../windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/defaul...
    >
    > --http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Thanks Palto, I will go through each one. johnshc2002 helped and am
    not finished going through all he told me. I still don't have the
    home network up, there is something really weird here. It took me two
    months and many many inquiries to Qwest and 2Wire to correct a problem
    in the router. Qwest help; while local (in the US), are idiots and
    2wire says call your provider so I was really screwed. Anyway I've
    been on this for 3 months since and still don't have figured out.
    I've sure learned lots of things but so far only things that don't
    help.
    MEG, Jun 14, 2007