    Please help soon!

    Thanks,

    Brian
    B T Cloutier, Jul 14, 2005

  2. B T Cloutier

    Andrew Guest

    run an ipconfig /all from cmd promtp on all 3 machines. post results here.

    Andrew, Jul 14, 2005

  3. B T Cloutier

    Duane Arnold Guest

    B T Cloutier wrote:

    > I have 3 pc's on my home network 2 with XP Pro and 1 with XP home. I
    > had I no issues then all of a sudden 2 of the PCs can no longer access
    > each other on the network. PC A can'tconnect to PC B or C. PC B can't
    > connect to A or C but can access B. PC C cannot connect to A or B. I
    > get the unable to connect error. I have tried running
    > the network wizard with no luck.

    The Network Wizard is a piece of crap and you don't need it with an all NT
    based O/S(s).

    > Something has changed. Could it have
    > been one of the windows updates? I have a friend that is having the same
    > problem! His desktop can access his laptop but the laptop cannot access
    > the desktop. This seems to be a big issue right now with XP. (All PC's
    > mentioned are XP) I have tried the following:
    > 1. Turned off windows firewall
    > 2. Installed Netbeui
    > 3. Network ID.

    If, you're behind a NAT router, then leave the XP FW off until you get
    things working.

    I worked with a guy that had all XP machines using a Linksys router and they
    couldn't share resources for some reason. I had basically the same set-up
    with XP machines and had no problems using only the TCP/IP protocol as he
    did.

    He switched to the MS NWlink IPX/SPX Netbios Compatible protocol on all
    machines and that worked for him.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp

    The above is what is in the link below.

    http://tinyurl.com/cufk7

    If you use MS Nwkink, youshould uninstall Netbeui first or you may mess-up
    the TCP/IP Stack and it will have to be reset.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 14, 2005
  4. B T Cloutier

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:47:35 -0400, B T Cloutier wrote:

    >I have 3 pc's on my home network 2 with XP Pro and 1 with XP home. I

    So is it 3 PCs not connected to any ISP, not complications caused by
    internet access.

    >had I no issues then all of a sudden 2 of the PCs can no longer access

    A, B and C are helpful as you didn't identify which was XPPro1 , XPPro2
    or XPHome

    >each other on the network. PC A can'tconnect to PC B or C. PC B can't

    By connect it's assumed you mean file shares?

    >connect to A or C but can access B. PC C cannot connect to A or B. I
    >get the unable to connect error. I have tried running

    Do some basic checks first,

    Have you checked the IP address settings, subnet masks and gateway?

    Can you ping to/from any of the PCs to the others?

    No warnings / erros in the event logs?

    Check accounts / passwords all match.

    >the network wizard with no luck. Something has changed. Could it have

    Have never used and from past history would avoid using the network
    wizard.

    From Win 2000 if you (not introducing internet access issues) set the IP
    addressing to DHCP , the PCs will automatically configure IP addresses.

    >been one of the windows updates? I have a friend that is having the same

    If it was Windows updates the uninstall folders are sorted in date/time
    so you could try uninstalling updates from the newest until it works
    again?

    Maybe even review the updates / security patches
    www.microsoft.com/security
    http://support.microsoft.com/
    and see if any have been (yet again modified) updated since thier
    release.

    Ask in one or two of the MS XP newsgroups, or even Google for the patch
    / update KB article numbers.

    >problem! His desktop can access his laptop but the laptop cannot access
    >the desktop. This seems to be a big issue right now with XP. (All PC's
    >mentioned are XP) I have tried the following:

    Must be XP, as my NT4, XP, Win 2003 x64 Server , 2000 network is still
    working fine with all file shares as I havent yet installed the July or
    June updates as it's a bit too soon.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jul 14, 2005
  5. B T Cloutier

    Chris Guest

    B T Cloutier wrote:
    > I have 3 pc's on my home network 2 with XP Pro and 1 with XP home. I
    > had I no issues then all of a sudden 2 of the PCs can no longer access
    > each other on the network. PC A can'tconnect to PC B or C. PC B can't
    > connect to A or C but can access B. PC C cannot connect to A or B. I
    > get the unable to connect error. I have tried running
    > the network wizard with no luck. Something has changed. Could it have
    > been one of the windows updates? I have a friend that is having the same
    > problem! His desktop can access his laptop but the laptop cannot access
    > the desktop. This seems to be a big issue right now with XP. (All PC's
    > mentioned are XP) I have tried the following:
    > 1. Turned off windows firewall
    > 2. Installed Netbeui
    > 3. Network ID.
    >
    > Please help soon!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

    Had the same type of problem before. It took me a while and a couple of
    headaches to figure it out.

    Please keep in mind that unless you are comfortable with editing the
    Registry, this should not be attempted. You can really screw up your
    system.

    It could be an IRPStackSize issue. You should check in the Registry on
    one of the unreachable machines to be sure that there is an IRPStackSize
    value at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters.

    Look for the name IRPStackSize in the "Name" column. If it does exist,
    check the value. It should be set between 15 and 50. Sometimes this
    value can be increased to attain connectivity. I had to set mine at the
    maximum on one machine in order to access it.

    If there is no IRPStackSize value, right click in the right side of the
    Registry Editor. Click New. Click DWORD Value. Rename it
    "IRPStackSize". Right click the new value and click MODIFY. Set the
    Decimal value at at least 15. Test form the other machine for
    connectivity. If still no connectivity. Try increasing the number of
    the value a bit at a time, keeping in mind that the maximum value should
    be 50.

    Please be careful if you are not experienced with Registry editing.

    Hope this helps.

    Chris
    Chris, Jul 15, 2005
  6. B T Cloutier

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:20:20 GMT, Chris wrote:

    >B T Cloutier wrote:
    >> I have 3 pc's on my home network 2 with XP Pro and 1 with XP home. I
    >> had I no issues then all of a sudden 2 of the PCs can no longer access
    >> each other on the network. PC A can'tconnect to PC B or C. PC B can't
    >> connect to A or C but can access B. PC C cannot connect to A or B. I
    >> get the unable to connect error. I have tried running
    >> the network wizard with no luck. Something has changed. Could it have

    <snip>

    >It could be an IRPStackSize issue. You should check in the Registry on

    It could be as some articles mention network issues related to that
    parameter, found some PCs at work this week with this error logged.

    However before jumping in with a reg edit and the warnings it would have
    been better to tell the OP to check the system event log for that error
    message and get the event ID first.

    If they aren't getting the error, then there is no need to fix the
    registry.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jul 15, 2005
  7. B T Cloutier

    Rick Merrill Guest

    B T Cloutier wrote:

    > I have 3 pc's on my home network 2 with XP Pro and 1 with XP home. I
    > had I no issues then all of a sudden 2 of the PCs can no longer access
    > each other on the network. PC A can'tconnect to PC B or C. PC B can't
    > connect to A or C but can access B. PC C cannot connect to A or B. I
    > get the unable to connect error. I have tried running
    > the network wizard with no luck. Something has changed. Could it have
    > been one of the windows updates? I have a friend that is having the same
    > problem! His desktop can access his laptop but the laptop cannot access
    > the desktop. This seems to be a big issue right now with XP. (All PC's
    > mentioned are XP) I have tried the following:
    > 1. Turned off windows firewall
    > 2. Installed Netbeui
    > 3. Network ID.

    If you do not have a router, get one.
    Power off all units (power off is not the same as reboot).
    Power on 1 unit, wait 1 min. power on next.

    As first responder said, do "ipconfig" on each and post results here.
    Rick Merrill, Jul 15, 2005
  8. B T Cloutier

    B T Cloutier Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > B T Cloutier wrote:
    >
    >> I have 3 pc's on my home network 2 with XP Pro and 1 with XP home. I
    >> had I no issues then all of a sudden 2 of the PCs can no longer access
    >> each other on the network. PC A can'tconnect to PC B or C. PC B can't
    >> connect to A or C but can access B. PC C cannot connect to A or B. I
    >> get the unable to connect error. I have tried running
    >> the network wizard with no luck. Something has changed. Could it
    >> have been one of the windows updates? I have a friend that is having
    >> the same problem! His desktop can access his laptop but the laptop
    >> cannot access
    >> the desktop. This seems to be a big issue right now with XP. (All
    >> PC's mentioned are XP) I have tried the following:
    >> 1. Turned off windows firewall
    >> 2. Installed Netbeui
    >> 3. Network ID.
    >>

    > If you do not have a router, get one.
    > Power off all units (power off is not the same as reboot).
    > Power on 1 unit, wait 1 min. power on next.
    >
    > As first responder said, do "ipconfig" on each and post results here.

    I have had a Linksys router for 2 years and had no problem. All this
    just came about recently. I will try the power off and let you know.

    Thanks,

    Brian
    B T Cloutier, Jul 16, 2005