Home networking help needed.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe J, Jul 11, 2013.

  1. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    I need a little guidance. Time Warner installed a new cable modem and now
    my desktop is LAN wired, rather than wifi. All the other computers and one
    printer in the house are wifi and working fine. But, I lost my home network
    connection to the other computers and can’t get them working. After
    install, my connection kept defaulting to the wifi. So I called TW and they
    said I need to disable the wifi connection on my desktop. Ok I did that and
    I didn't put the two together and have been chasing my tail for days now,
    because I lost my homegroup network and can’t access a remote printer.

    I discovered the Homegroup comes back if I turn my wifi receiver on my
    desktop back on. Now the problem is it can’t find the Lan connection and
    keeps defaulting to the wifi connection, which is slower than LAN. And it
    doesn't show the LAN as an option to switch to. Is there a way to have both
    running at the same time, but make the LAN, the default? If I disable the
    wifi, it immediately goes to the LAN. But, if I disable the wireless
    connection on my computer, I lose network access to the other computers and
    printer, but then it goes to the LAN connection.

    TW was no help. “we don’t support networksâ€. There has to be a way to have
    wifi and LAN at the same time on my desktop, isn’t there? Or a toggle
    between them and one set as default.

    At least I figured out a work-around for right now, but it is PIA! Oh, Win7
    I've been through "network and sharing" menus too many times to count.
    Joe J, Jul 11, 2013

  2. Joe J

    Paul Guest

    Joe J wrote:
    > I need a little guidance. Time Warner installed a new cable modem and
    > now my desktop is LAN wired, rather than wifi. All the other computers
    > and one printer in the house are wifi and working fine. But, I lost my
    > home network connection to the other computers and can’t get them
    > working. After install, my connection kept defaulting to the wifi. So
    > I called TW and they said I need to disable the wifi connection on my
    > desktop. Ok I did that and I didn't put the two together and have been
    > chasing my tail for days now, because I lost my homegroup network and
    > can’t access a remote printer.
    >
    > I discovered the Homegroup comes back if I turn my wifi receiver on my
    > desktop back on. Now the problem is it can’t find the Lan connection
    > and keeps defaulting to the wifi connection, which is slower than LAN.
    > And it doesn't show the LAN as an option to switch to. Is there a way
    > to have both running at the same time, but make the LAN, the default?
    > If I disable the wifi, it immediately goes to the LAN. But, if I
    > disable the wireless connection on my computer, I lose network access to
    > the other computers and printer, but then it goes to the LAN connection.
    >
    > TW was no help. “we don’t support networks”. There has to be a way to
    > have wifi and LAN at the same time on my desktop, isn’t there? Or a
    > toggle between them and one set as default.
    >
    > At least I figured out a work-around for right now, but it is PIA! Oh,
    > Win7 I've been through "network and sharing" menus too many times to count.

    With multiple network options, you can use a "Metric" box, to set
    metrics or "weights" for the various networks.

    I have no idea whether this will help you or not. I can find examples
    of the wifi/lan doing all sorts of different things, with no rhyme or
    reason to them. But this article at least, will show a box you can edit.
    Just for fun.

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23...-7-to-default-to-wired-over-wireless#23534275

    The network connections should "fail over" as far as I know. The
    idea being, if the Wifi goes down, the LAN could pick up the slack.
    And vice versa. If both are available, the metric can select a
    preferred one.

    Another technical term is "load balancing", which might only be
    available on a server OS. So that's another thing to throw into
    Google.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 11, 2013

  3. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    "Paul" wrote in message news:krn6d5$8of$...

    Joe J wrote:
    > I need a little guidance. Time Warner installed a new cable modem and now
    > my desktop is LAN wired, rather than wifi. All the other computers and
    > one printer in the house are wifi and working fine. But, I lost my home
    > network connection to the other computers and can’t get them working.
    > After install, my connection kept defaulting to the wifi. So I called TW
    > and they said I need to disable the wifi connection on my desktop. Ok I
    > did that and I didn't put the two together and have been chasing my tail
    > for days now, because I lost my homegroup network and can’t access a
    > remote printer.
    >
    > I discovered the Homegroup comes back if I turn my wifi receiver on my
    > desktop back on. Now the problem is it can’t find the Lan connection and
    > keeps defaulting to the wifi connection, which is slower than LAN. And it
    > doesn't show the LAN as an option to switch to. Is there a way to have
    > both running at the same time, but make the LAN, the default? If I
    > disable the wifi, it immediately goes to the LAN. But, if I disable the
    > wireless connection on my computer, I lose network access to the other
    > computers and printer, but then it goes to the LAN connection.
    >
    > TW was no help. “we don’t support networks”. There has to be a way to
    > have wifi and LAN at the same time on my desktop, isn’t there? Or a
    > toggle between them and one set as default.
    >
    > At least I figured out a work-around for right now, but it is PIA! Oh,
    > Win7 I've been through "network and sharing" menus too many times to
    > count.

    With multiple network options, you can use a "Metric" box, to set
    metrics or "weights" for the various networks.

    I have no idea whether this will help you or not. I can find examples
    of the wifi/lan doing all sorts of different things, with no rhyme or
    reason to them. But this article at least, will show a box you can edit.
    Just for fun.

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23...-7-to-default-to-wired-over-wireless#23534275

    The network connections should "fail over" as far as I know. The
    idea being, if the Wifi goes down, the LAN could pick up the slack.
    And vice versa. If both are available, the metric can select a
    preferred one.

    Another technical term is "load balancing", which might only be
    available on a server OS. So that's another thing to throw into
    Google.

    Paul

    I'll make a long story short. My internet speed from TW is limited to 15
    mbps, unless I want to pay an extra $20 per month. Anyway, so lan didn't
    really matter compared to wifi, the cable internet was the limiting factor,
    so I could just stick with the wifi. Then I had a ah ha moment. My fix for
    the networking was to run a lan from my wireless router to the desktop,
    instead of directly from the TW cable router. All is well now. All
    computers and the printer are again showing on the network and I'm on a lan
    connection, granted, from the wireless router.

    Thanks for the response, Paul!!
    Joe J, Jul 14, 2013