    I would like to be able to change things on my laptop working from my
    desktop, is it possible.

    Richard

    Richard, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Richard

    Dave Guest

    yes

    Dave, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Hi

    Yes if you can network your two computers, it is possible.

    If your desktop is running WinXP Pro, you can set a Remote Desktop
    connection between the two computers,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx

    If you do not have WinXP Pro, you can use a 3rd party remote control program
    like this, http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html[

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 25, 2006
  4. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:18:51 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Yes if you can network your two computers, it is possible.
    >
    >If your desktop is running WinXP Pro, you can set a Remote Desktop
    >connection between the two computers,
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
    >
    >If you do not have WinXP Pro, you can use a 3rd party remote control program
    >like this, http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html[
    >
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    >"Richard" <> wrote in message
    >>I would like to be able to change things on my laptop working from my
    >>desktop, is it possible.
    >>
    >> Richard

    I have tried other places and just saw this group added to my
    newsserver. Would you please try to answer this for me?

    Thanks so much.

    I have a problem with the Actiontec 704 modem router that was provided
    for me by Verizon
    just a couple of days ago. I have had no real problems setting my home
    network of 9 computers
    up until I reached the point of trying to get the access point to work
    properly. First, all the computers
    that are using a wired connection can see the internet, and share
    files with each other in both Windows XP
    [SP2 and all other patches to current] and any of 3 variations of
    Linux [Xandros, SuSe, and Fedora Core 4].
    The computers that are wired can see and share files with the 2
    computers that are connecting wirelessly.
    The wireless computers can see and share files as well as the
    internet. What cannot seem to happen is the
    2 wireless connections cannot share files even though they are
    configured to do so.

    For purposes of troubleshooting, all firewalls on the computers have
    been disabled [yes, they have been double
    checked and are down], and all computers are booting Windows XP SP2 so
    that the network is homogenous as
    far as operating systems are concerned. The wireless clients are
    configured in INFRASTRUCTURE mode, so that
    they can correctly hook up to the Actiontec. Also, it would be
    extremely annoying to have to change from INFRA
    mode to AD HOC mode just to share files, and also it wouldn't work
    well as the 2 wireless computers are at
    opposite ends of the house with the access point in the middle. The
    connection is not great in AD HOC between
    the two clients and also if I were to somehow enhance the connection
    speed and quality, I would still have to be
    physically travel across the house to change operational modes.

    Almost forgot, again, for setup purposes all encryption has been
    disabled.

    I have had other problems with the Westell Versalink 327W, but this
    problem is a common one with that unit.

    Am I doing something wrong or is this item a piece of garbage that is
    not truly an access point, but just a wireless
    connection? Because I can connect to the wired parts of the network I
    see that the connection is being made, and
    am hypothesizing that this 'access point' is not speedy enough to
    intake one wireless connection and output another.

    As you might suspect, Verizon and Actiontec are pointing fingers at
    each other and saying the other is responsible
    for supporting this.

    Any help I could get would be SO appreciated.

    G Spot Tornado, Feb 2, 2006