    laptop that has the XP Home Edition using the Network Wizard but cannot set
    up on my laptop with XP Pro on it even though I follow the same steps. Any
    thoughts as to what I need to do?

    =?Utf-8?B?ZG1raGVybg==?=, Sep 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZG1raGVybg==?=

    Malke Guest

    dmkhern wrote:

    > I have a wireless network at home. My host computer has Windows XP
    > Home Edition. I have two laptops, one with Home Edition and one with
    > XP Pro. I am able to easily set up for networking (file sharing,
    > printing, etc.) with the laptop that has the XP Home Edition using the
    > Network Wizard but cannot set up on my laptop with XP Pro on it even
    > though I follow the same steps. Any thoughts as to what I need to do?

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers