    Thanks
    --
    Rick
    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Jan 25, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    ANONYMOUS Guest

    you can get ADSL modem with router such as ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed
    Mode Wireless-G Router

    http://tinyurl.com/dxtyg

    Or US Robotics: http://tinyurl.com/cjg8a

    You will not need anything else. Has all the systems got Wireless
    adaptors usb or PCI based?

    hth

    ANONYMOUS, Jan 25, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    TW Guest

    Since you already have an ADSL modem( this is actually a router but people
    are used to modems so that's what they call it) there is no need to replace
    it.

    You say your modem connects to a 2 wire home portal( I assume this is a two
    port hub or switch). I am also assuming that your computers are wired to
    this portal.

    You say you just want to ADD wireless to your network.

    If this were me I would replace the portal with a wireless router. These
    usually have four wired ports and are fairly cheap. This option will give
    you wireless connections AND four wired connections to your network.

    Post back with any other questions.
    TW

    TW, Jan 26, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Lem Guest

    TW wrote:

    > Since you already have an ADSL modem( this is actually a router but people
    > are used to modems so that's what they call it) there is no need to replace
    > it.
    >
    > You say your modem connects to a 2 wire home portal( I assume this is a two
    > port hub or switch). I am also assuming that your computers are wired to
    > this portal.
    >
    > You say you just want to ADD wireless to your network.
    >
    > If this were me I would replace the portal with a wireless router. These
    > usually have four wired ports and are fairly cheap. This option will give
    > you wireless connections AND four wired connections to your network.
    >
    > Post back with any other questions.
    > TW
    >
    > "ANONYMOUS" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > you can get ADSL modem with router such as ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed
    > > Mode Wireless-G Router
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/dxtyg
    > >
    > > Or US Robotics: http://tinyurl.com/cjg8a
    > >
    > > You will not need anything else. Has all the systems got Wireless
    > > adaptors usb or PCI based?
    > >
    > > hth
    > >

    > > Rick wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Before i get in to too deep I have some basic questions regarding home
    > >> networking.
    > >> I have 4 computers 2 desktops with XP Home 2 laptops with XP Home all
    > >> four
    > >> have SP2. I also have 2 printers a Lexmark6170 and an HP Laserjet5. My
    > >> ISP is
    > >> earthlink and I connect with a adsl modem. The modem connects to a 2 wire
    > >> home portal. I want to set up a wireless network, should I use a router
    > >> accomplish this and if so can I eliminate the home portal?
    > >> I have more simple questions but I 'll ask tem in my next post.
    > >> Thanks
    > >> --
    > >> Rick

    Not all DSL modems are functioning routers, although many of them that are
    supplied these days by ISPs like Earthlink are. Some earlier DSL modems are
    hard-configured as bridges. Earthlink UDP DSL modems come configured as routers
    by default but can be reconfigured as bridges for use with a typical wireless
    router.

    "2wire home portal" is a brand name. Most include a DSL "modem" and a 1 to 4
    port router. Some also include wireless capability. A setup that includes BOTH
    an "adsl modem" AND a "2 wire home portal" is possible, but peculiar.

    To get the best advice, the OP should repost with the particular model numbers
    of his equipment. Also know that both Earthlink and 2wire have pretty good
    knowledge bases that cover how to configure their products.

    Lem, Jan 26, 2006