    Many Thanks,

    Jack Barrett
    http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Jack Barrett

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:30:43 GMT, "Jack Barrett"
    <> wrote:

    >I am looking to add a new PC to my home network and need some help with the
    >following scenario:
    >
    >Home Network Now is 2 PC's using Compaq Presario that is the gateway to the
    >internet. Running XP Pro/Pentium 3/512 Ram/DSL Modem
    >
    >I want to add a new PC and make it the gateway to the internet. Then add the
    >Compaq to replace the older PC running Windows 98.
    >
    >How do I accomplish this by making the New PC the internet gateway and add
    >the Compaq?
    >Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Many Thanks,

    Do it exactly the same way you did the current machine.

    But I'd suggest spending the $20 or so and buying a router. MUCH
    easier.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jack Barrett" <> wrote in

    > I am looking to add a new PC to my home network and need some help
    > with the following scenario:
    >
    > Home Network Now is 2 PC's using Compaq Presario that is the gateway
    > to the internet. Running XP Pro/Pentium 3/512 Ram/DSL Modem
    >
    > I want to add a new PC and make it the gateway to the internet. Then
    > add the Compaq to replace the older PC running Windows 98.
    >
    > How do I accomplish this by making the New PC the internet gateway and
    > add the Compaq?
    > Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >
    > Jack Barrett
    > http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Although one can use a vulnerable MS O/S as a gateway device as some have
    a good reason to do so, I can't think of one from a home user stand
    point, one should think about using a NAT router with or without SPI. One
    can use a MS O/S machine as a gateway, but that would involve setting the
    machine up as a Bastion Host machine.

    One cannot beat the protection that a gateway router provides for the
    network. I had a lady tell me today she was able to get a Belkin 4 port
    route with SPI on sale for $20 -- normal price $60.

    The router stops the attacks up front and they never reach the machine
    where the machine's O/S and host based FW would have to use resources to
    stop the attacks, slowing the machine down in doing other things.

    One can use a host bsed FW to backup the router and to protect on
    outbound protection from a Trojan.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 2, 2003
  4. In article <ny8pb.12882$>, "Jack Barrett"
    <> wrote:
    >I am looking to add a new PC to my home network and need some help with the
    >following scenario:
    >
    >Home Network Now is 2 PC's using Compaq Presario that is the gateway to the
    >internet. Running XP Pro/Pentium 3/512 Ram/DSL Modem
    >
    >I want to add a new PC and make it the gateway to the internet. Then add the
    >Compaq to replace the older PC running Windows 98.
    >
    >How do I accomplish this by making the New PC the internet gateway and add
    >the Compaq?
    >Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Many Thanks,
    >
    >Jack Barrett
    >http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Disable Internet Connection Sharing on the old gateway computer and
    disconnect the DSL modem from it. Connect the DSL modem to the new
    PC and Enable Internet Connection Sharing on it. Reboot the other
    computers to get them connected to the new gateway.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Nov 2, 2003
  5. Jack Barrett

    Dave Guest

    A GREAT router/firewall is a Linksys BEFSX41

    Dave, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in

    > A GREAT router/firewall is a Linksys BEFSX41

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    Linksys is a great NAT router with SPI -- firewall *like* features.

    If it doesn't meet the specifications in the link above, then it's not a
    appliance that has a true firewall.

    Watchguard, Zyxel, Cisco are ones that come to mind.

    I have a Linksys too and it meets the specifications below.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Jack Barrett

    Night_Seer Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in
    >
    >> A GREAT router/firewall is a Linksys BEFSX41

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    > Linksys is a great NAT router with SPI -- firewall *like* features.
    >
    > If it doesn't meet the specifications in the link above, then it's
    > not a appliance that has a true firewall.
    >
    > Watchguard, Zyxel, Cisco are ones that come to mind.
    >
    > I have a Linksys too and it meets the specifications below.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    > Duane :)

    Linksys makes excellent routers. Combine that with a software firewall,
    and you should be fully protected.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 4, 2003
  8. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Dave" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> A GREAT router/firewall is a Linksys BEFSX41
    >>>

    > http://www.firewall-

    software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    >> Linksys is a great NAT router with SPI -- firewall *like* features.
    >>
    >> If it doesn't meet the specifications in the link above, then it's
    >> not a appliance that has a true firewall.
    >>
    >> Watchguard, Zyxel, Cisco are ones that come to mind.
    >>
    >> I have a Linksys too and it meets the specifications below.
    >>
    >> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Linksys makes excellent routers. Combine that with a software

    firewall,
    > and you should be fully protected.

    I didn't say that Linksys didn't make a good port forwarder NAT router.
    It just doesn't have a FW. And that's why one needs a host based FW on
    the machine to protect the machine on inbound ports that have been port
    forwarded, because a simple NAT router with or without SPI cannot protect
    on the inbound ports, like an appliance that has a true FW.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Jack Barrett

    Night_Seer Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>> "Dave" <> wrote in

    >> http://www.firewall-

    > software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html
    >>>
    >>> Linksys is a great NAT router with SPI -- firewall *like* features.
    >>>
    >>> If it doesn't meet the specifications in the link above, then it's
    >>> not a appliance that has a true firewall.
    >>>
    >>> Watchguard, Zyxel, Cisco are ones that come to mind.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Linksys too and it meets the specifications below.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>>
    >>> Duane :)

    >> Linksys makes excellent routers. Combine that with a software
    >> firewall, and you should be fully protected.
    >>

    > I didn't say that Linksys didn't make a good port forwarder NAT
    > router. It just doesn't have a FW. And that's why one needs a host
    > based FW on the machine to protect the machine on inbound ports that
    > have been port forwarded, because a simple NAT router with or without
    > SPI cannot protect on the inbound ports, like an appliance that has a
    > true FW.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Yes, I know what you were saying, that is why I suggested ALSO using a
    software firewall. Outbound calls, like something from a trojan are
    also not protected.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 5, 2003