Home Network Upgrade...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jel183\(UK\), Mar 6, 2005.

  1. jel183\(UK\)

    jel183\(UK\) Guest

    For some months now I have been experiencing various problems with my home
    network:
    4x XP (SP2) machines connected via a switch and using 1 of the PC's as a
    host for the ADSL ICS.

    Most of the problems seem to have been browser and firewall related. Having
    read the posts here and followed what seemed to be the general advice I
    finally decided to splash out on a wireless ADSL modem/router (with 4 LAN
    ports). I wired three of my PC's to the router (the cat5 wiring was already
    in place and I couldn't afford three wireless cards as well!) and connected
    my laptop via a wireless PC Card.

    The setup was quick and easy. The result has been outstanding. All
    connections are rock solid, each PC always appears in the Neighbourhood
    Places and has never (so far) dropped out, the broadband speeds seem faster.
    I can now turn off/reboot what was the host PC without losing the
    connection.

    The purpose of this post is therefore to say to anyone experiencing browser
    or connection issues - if you are not using a router - then get one and save
    yourself a whole lot of grief... all I have to do now is save up for a
    printer server !!

    (I won't disclose the make and model of the router unless someone want's to
    know because I don't want someone to spoil it by saying "I would't have got
    one of those they are useless" or words to that effect!!)

    --
    HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

    jel183(UK)

    jel183\(UK\), Mar 6, 2005

  2. jel183\(UK\)

    DLink Guru Guest

    Hi, glad to see you decided to set your network up the easy way and it works
    great for you. Why do you want a print server? Just connect it to one of
    your desktops and share it as a network computer. The only draw back on that
    is the desktop will have to stay on all the time so you can print from the
    other computers.

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Mar 6, 2005

  3. jel183\(UK\)

    jel183\(UK\) Guest

    I do have the printer 'shared' on what was previously the host PC but I want
    to get away from one PC being reliant on another... and in this case for
    printing. So any links to cheap printer server suppliers in the UK would be
    appreciated!

    jel183\(UK\), Mar 6, 2005