    I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    from the internet.
    , Apr 5, 2006

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    > from the internet.

    You put the machines behind a NAT router. It's as simple as that.

    You secure the Share with using the Authenticated User Group on shares. If
    XP Home, you can disable Simple File Sharing in Safe Mode so can get to the
    Share Permissions Button, which are different permissions than folder
    permissions using the Security Tab.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Mara Guest

    Get behind a router, first and foremost. And make sure that *only* the machines
    you specify have permissions to connect to the others.

    "Those are General First Rules."

    --
    There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
    --Edmund Burke
    Mara, Apr 5, 2006
  4. PC Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    > from the internet.

    Paul

    The 'best' way is to never connect the machine with the shared drives to the
    Internet.

    Other than that there is a wide range of measures you could take.
    Some measures may have little effect on their own, but in combination with
    other measures your shared folders can be protected reasonably well.

    A selection of possibilities are:

    Passwords on shared folders.
    Software and or Hardware Firewalls.
    Install an Internet only machine.
    Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Rootkit removers and other 'Anti' software.
    Keeping your computer fully patched with the manufacturers updates.
    Creating a DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone)
    Running a more secure Operating System.
    Using restricted rights user accounts.
    and so on.

    Try Google for ideas eg
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=Network security shared drives&btnG=Search&meta=

    Precise answers will of course depend on what machinery / software you are
    using, how you connect to the Internet, how much you want to spend, and
    (most importantly) what 'your' perception of 'securing home network drive
    shares' is.

    Best luck
    Paul.
    PC, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-05, PC <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    >> from the internet.

    > Paul
    >
    > The 'best' way is to never connect the machine with the shared drives to the
    > Internet.

    Well, one could put a 'router' in front of the "machine with the shared
    drives" and it it might end up that that "never connect the machine with the
    shared drives to the Internet" might 'magically' turn into "the machine with
    the shared drives is connected to The Internet", safely, I add.
    [snip}
    > A selection of possibilities are:
    >
    > Passwords on shared folders.

    Gee, what's the point of 'sharing', then?

    > Software and or Hardware Firewalls.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You answered your own question but didn't change your 'lead in'?

    > Install an Internet only machine.

    What is this?

    > Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Rootkit removers and other 'Anti' software.
    > Keeping your computer fully patched with the manufacturers updates.

    Give me a break...

    > Creating a DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone)

    So that when you give bad advice you can try to 'move that way'?

    > Running a more secure Operating System.

    CHOKE! [coffee splash...using my shirt to finally find my screen, thank God
    I missed my keyboard on that one (well, 'you know', "one screen, "SO MANY"
    key pads...)

    > Using restricted rights user accounts.
    > and so on.

    Also known as something like 'user accounts'

    [snip blah blah blah]

    > Precise answers will of course depend on what machinery / software you are
    > using, how you connect to the Internet, how much you want to spend, and
    > (most importantly) what 'your' perception of 'securing home network drive
    > shares' is.

    What is *this* crap? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    --
    "thank you all for reading this message.
    I had 'fun' 'parsing 'it' "
    Jimchip, Apr 5, 2006
  6. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into testimony

    > I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    > from the internet.

    Not sharing them.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    > from the internet.

    Use a router.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 5, 2006
  8. Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:19:10 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >Get behind a router, first and foremost. And make sure that *only* the machines
    >you specify have permissions to connect to the others.
    >
    >"Those are General First Rules."
    >
    >On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:44:06 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    >>from the internet.

    where would I set that? in the router's control panel? Would that
    mean I put the IP addresses of my networked computers in a 'trusted'
    list?
    , Apr 5, 2006
  9. Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 04:24:41 GMT, "Chadwick Stone©"
    <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > [] has entered into testimony
    >

    >> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    >> from the internet.

    >Not sharing them.

    how should I copy files between computers?
    , Apr 5, 2006
  10. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into testimony

    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 04:24:41 GMT, "Chadwick Stone©"
    > <chad_stone@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >> [] has entered into
    >> testimony
    >>
    >>> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    >>> from the internet.

    >> Not sharing them.

    > how should I copy files between computers?

    SFTP. Google for OpenSSH.

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 5, 2006
  11. Mara Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:05:32 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:19:10 -0500, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Get behind a router, first and foremost. And make sure that *only* the machines
    >>you specify have permissions to connect to the others.
    >>
    >>"Those are General First Rules."
    >>
    >>On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:44:06 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    >>>from the internet.

    >where would I set that? in the router's control panel? Would that
    >mean I put the IP addresses of my networked computers in a 'trusted'
    >list?

    Even though my network is already pretty secure, I always check permissions on
    each folder and drive I share, and make sure that only *my machines* are listed
    as having access to those folders/drives. But then again, all my machines are
    Windows 2000 machines, with the exceptions of my dual-boot and my laptop, which
    is my only wireless connection (A security-enabled wireless network (WPA.) If
    you're running XP, open Help and do a search for "permissions" for more local
    info.

    --
    Don't irritate geeks ... They don't have a life and if you make
    them mad enough they will make *you* their life ... And they
    Mara, Apr 6, 2006
  12. Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:26:32 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to know the best way of securing home network drive shares
    >> from the internet.

    >Paul
    >
    >The 'best' way is to never connect the machine with the shared drives to the
    >Internet.
    >
    >Other than that there is a wide range of measures you could take.
    >Some measures may have little effect on their own, but in combination with
    >other measures your shared folders can be protected reasonably well.
    >
    >A selection of possibilities are:
    >
    >Passwords on shared folders.
    >Software and or Hardware Firewalls.
    >Install an Internet only machine.
    >Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Rootkit removers and other 'Anti' software.
    >Keeping your computer fully patched with the manufacturers updates.
    >Creating a DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone)
    >Running a more secure Operating System.
    >Using restricted rights user accounts.
    >and so on.
    >
    >Try Google for ideas eg
    >http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=Network security shared drives&btnG=Search&meta=
    >

    >Precise answers will of course depend on what machinery / software you are
    >using, how you connect to the Internet, how much you want to spend, and
    >(most importantly) what 'your' perception of 'securing home network drive
    >shares' is.
    >
    >Best luck
    >Paul.

    i can't find where to set passwords on shares, i've googled and not
    come up with anything useful
    , Apr 6, 2006
  13. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:26:32 +1200, "PC" <> wrote:

    > i can't find where to set passwords on shares, i've googled and not
    > come up with anything useful

    http://www.google.es/search?q=windows shared folder passwords

    A couple of useful articles there.

    Dan