Home Network Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack Barrett, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    I currently have a network with the following equipment:

    eMachine / Celeron 2.8 GHZ / Windows XP Pro / Gateway to Internet / DSL /
    Crossover Cables
    Compaq / p3 / 1 GHZ / Windows XP Pro

    I know, the first thing you are going to say is"Get a Router". I plan on
    doing that soon.

    My question is this: Can I add another PC running Windows 98 to this network
    thru another NIC card in the eMachine. It has a NIC card that is not being
    used and I want to set this up for my A+ certification test.
    I am not concerned about performance with the 98 PC. I just want to be able
    to make changes to the 98 PC, experiment with the registry, try Linux, basic
    internet, etc.

    Thanks,

    Jack Barrett
    My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Jack Barrett

    Peace-Angel Guest

    does emachine have 2 nics or what?
    if it does then yes. if you are installing another nic, I believe you can.

    Peace-Angel, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Hey Peace,

    my eMachine does have 2 nics.

    Jack Barrett, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jack Barrett wrote:

    > I currently have a network with the following equipment:
    >
    > eMachine / Celeron 2.8 GHZ / Windows XP Pro / Gateway to Internet / DSL /
    > Crossover Cables
    > Compaq / p3 / 1 GHZ / Windows XP Pro
    >
    > I know, the first thing you are going to say is"Get a Router". I plan on
    > doing that soon.
    >
    > My question is this: Can I add another PC running Windows 98 to this
    > network thru another NIC card in the eMachine. It has a NIC card that is
    > not being
    > used and I want to set this up for my A+ certification test.
    > I am not concerned about performance with the 98 PC. I just want to be
    > able to make changes to the 98 PC, experiment with the registry, try
    > Linux, basic internet, etc.

    You should do yourself a favor and go get yourself a cheap NAT router and
    let it be the gateway device for the ICS on the LAN and gateway for the
    WAN. It also provides much better protection from scans and attacks from
    than the most likely un-harden to attack XP O/S as the gateway.

    http://tinyurl.com/6agku

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Jack Barrett

    Peace-Angel Guest

    I believe its quite possible to set up the emachine as a server and let the
    other two computers go through there. Easy

    Peace-Angel, Dec 19, 2004